Find
Notify
Tools

Brightburn Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The premise of this movie actually sounds pretty good to me and I'm not even much of a fan of horror or superhero movies.

What if Superman turned out to be evil? There would be no way to stop him and he would be a God or Angel of Death to the world:

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It has Elizabeth Banks in it? I'm in.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where’s some kryptonite when you need it?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Watching this tonight.

Will be a nice break after a long week. Saw the trailer a few times and it's from the director of Guardians of the Galaxy, so I think it will be a good movie.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m amazed that DC has not made some sort of ruckus about the intentional similarities to Superman

I probably won’t ever see this so I read a summary of it and it really is “what if Superman were evil”

The names have changed, but other than that, it’s the Superman origin story, superman’s powers, etc. it’s not even remotely disguised....I’m honestly shocked they didn’t name the kid Mark Ment.....I was shocked to see brightburn still in Kansas and not in like, Nebraska

At any rate, it looks interesting...and it’s getting good reviews...I like elseworlds kind of stories, so it’s cool with me....

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
evil superman is always pretty cool, this is knock off evil superman, no thanks.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of the comic book Irredeemable from about 10 years ago. That comic series had the Plutonian as the Superman knockoff but he didn't go bad until after he was a grown man and a superhero for years. It was pretty good but I think the series ran on too long.

I'll have to make time to go see it sometime this next week.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Anyone see it yet?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I saw it.

Wasn't particularly good. Lacks character depth, so you really don't care about what happens to anyone.

Spoilers ahead:

The kid has super powers, nobody can stop him. He suddenly knows how to use his powers--there isn't any growth. Nobody puts up a fight, everyone thinks he's just a kid, and then he suddenly murders them. Pretty much no plot.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
More senseless violence from Hollywood. And it will make money. Don't know which one is sadder.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
It finally made it onto onto econo cable...stumbled across it a few minutes before it started, so I figured what the heck.

As pointed out, it is almost a step-by-step 'What if Clark Kent went psycho at age 12 and became a homicidal maniac? Right down to the heat vision.

Fairly gruesome...it's actually a horror flick wrapped in an 'alternate universe' theme.

I'm not really a horror flick audience, but the idea was at least interesting...

Some good points...the kid was creepy, as was his mask. Seeing hjs feet just floating around from under the bed as he was searching was creepy. And Elizabeth Banks...nuff said.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings on this movie. A pretty damn cool premise and some of the delivery, and some was pretty bad.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I saw it.

Wasn't particularly good. Lacks character depth, so you really don't care about what happens to anyone.

Spoilers ahead:

The kid has super powers, nobody can stop him. He suddenly knows how to use his powers--there isn't any growth. Nobody puts up a fight, everyone thinks he's just a kid, and then he suddenly murders them. Pretty much no plot.

I'd be inclined to disagree with that. When things started going wrong, the father in particular knew the kid wasn't of this world and tried quite desperately to stop him. As did mom at the end. Those efforts didn't work out very well for either.

And the sheriff and his deputy showed what would happen if someone with superhuman speed/strength decided to use it against regular people.

It wasn't just that the kid figured out he had super powers, it was that he felt he was superior and became devoid of compassion/empathy, and he was also being directed/manipulated by the voices from space ship.

Not the best movie in the world, but if you find it channel surfing and there's nothing else on...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Horror film with some superho mixed in. A couple of scenes were really grotesque and totally unnecessary. My eye is still twitching from that glass. Hollyweird figures superho is the ticket to that money so let’s make a horror version with a child as the star. They have a whole universe planned complete with other fucked up demon like characters from outer space.

quote:
In May 2019, director David Yarovesky stated that upon the film potentially being a success, the universe of Brightburn would be expanded upon.[26]

In a later interview with Collider, Yarovesky confirmed that the film's mid-credits scene, making reference to a half-man/half-sea creature terrorizing the seas, Rainn Wilson's character Frank Darbo / The Crimson Bolt from Super, and a powerful witch who chokes her victims with a rope, was intended to set up a sequel, in addition noting that an alternate ending to the film featured Emmie Hunter's "Caitlyn—[ending] with her in a lab fastening a robot arm on her broken arm, and her just pissed off", as well as mentioning "tons" of other such endings as having been discussed, as well as stating that "[i]f we were to expand the Brightburn universe in other installments and in other ways, we would probably be doing it in the exact same way, in total secrecy and then drop a cinematic trailer at some point that kind of teaches [one] what that new direction may be."[27]

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen worse movies and this was an interesting take on the opposite of Superman. I was wondering if this was meant to be the first of a series of "Bad Superman" movies?

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Horror film with some superho mixed in. A couple of scenes were really grotesque and totally unnecessary. My eye is still twitching from that glass. Hollyweird figures superho is the ticket to that money so let’s make a horror version with a child as the star. They have a whole universe planned complete with other fucked up demon like characters from outer space.

LOL, yeah that was kinda icky.

Unnecessary? Well, not really if you're making a 'Super' horror film.

The dude (uncle?) in SUV 'incident' had it worse.

As said above, the scene where the mom is under the bed and the feet are just floating around was a bit creepy. As was him hovering around outside the house.

One of the issues I had was Superman has 'super' fabric for his outfit/cape. This kid does not...most of his exploits would have shredded/torn off the clothes he was wearing.

But hey, it's an homicidal maniac 'Super' person, so...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He wasn't a kid, he was an alien weapon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bad movie. But, no doubt there will be a sequel. Let's see, another spaceship will crash, and out comes another alien, but a good one this time. You know how it goes. How unoriginal.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Somewhat interesting premise. Dumb execution. Don't waste your time.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He wasn't a kid, he was an alien weapon.

Yeah, the kid himself explained it in his first scene in the school, when he's discussing the brood parasite wasps that lay their eggs in the nests of other insects and force them to raise their young, before the young eventually usurp the hosts and take over.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post