SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What was the first album you ever owned?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the first album you ever owned? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Mine was The Harder They Come soundtrack, the LP. I appropriated it from my father. I had a record player for a while even though cassettes were the shit. Then the CD came out.

Not necessarily bought, but what was the first album that you considered yours?

Secondarilly, what was the most recent entire album you bought?

Mine was The Black Keys Brothers.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
ELO Out of the Blue

Won it from Coyote Calhoun on WERC in Birmingham.

Who knows what possessed my sister to go on a date with this dude.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
First album: Deftones - Adrenaline. The older neighbor kid who used to give me a ride home from school had it, and it was the coolest thing I had ever heard. (Prior to that, all I was ever really exposed to was what my parents listened to, or what I managed to catch on MTV when my parents weren't home.) He would blast that Deftones album in his silver 1980-whatever Honda Civic hatchback with giant speaker box in the trunk on our way home from school. I then bought my own copy from the used CD rack.

Most recent: It's been years since I bought an album... For the past several years I've primarily streamed music using services like Pandora/Amazon Music/Spotify. Maybe Iron Maiden - Book of Souls?

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I can't say for sure, but probably something from KISS, when I was in grade school.

Last one a purchased was Fleesh - The Next Hemisphere - A Rush Tribute

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bloodrock 2

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Refocus from the Monkeys was the first Album I ever had.

Then I got all hi-tech and had 8-tracks, then cassettes, cd's and now all digital.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
KISS Alive II

Man did I play the hell out of those 2 records.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
As a kid I had access to my parents LP collection.
But the very first album I personally owned was a complete boxed set of all the Beatles albums called 'The Beatles Collection". It also came with posters, and a book containing the sheet music for every song they made. It was given to me by my great uncle.

Last album I purchased was Taylor Swift's newest CD

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Allman Brothers Fillmore East was my first purchase but I had “borrowed” my sisters copy of Beatles Sgt Pepper was the first in my collection.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Do you mean like the LP to the Sesame Street soundtrack or Walt Disney's Chilling Thrilling Sounds to the Haunted House?

Or, do you mean with my own money? That might be Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.

The last album I bought was the second soundtrack to Miami Vice on CD. I don't mean I bought this back in the '80s - I just bought it last week for like, 3 bucks.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Do you mean like the LP to the Sesame Street soundtrack or Walt Disney's Chilling Thrilling Sounds to the Haunted House?

Or, do you mean with my own money? That might be Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.

The last album I bought was the second soundtrack to Miami Vice on CD. I don't mean I bought this back in the '80s - I just bought it last week for like, 3 bucks.

Well, if you considered it yours, I suppose those were your first.

The first album I remember listening to and knowing what it was, was Free To Be You And Me.

But, the first album that I considered MINE was The Harder They Come.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 the same day:

Cat Steven's - Greatest Hits
Carly Simon - Come Upstairs
Eric Clapton - Money and Cigarettes
Grateful Dead - Skeletons from the Closet

Most recently? Oh, god...

Probably my Deutsche Gramophone recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

For rock, it would most likely be Rift by Phish.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
My first album was Kiss Destroyer through Columbia Records, my dad let me pick one of the free ones. The first one I bought on my own was Ted Nugent, Double Live Gonzo.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
ELP - Live (Welcome Back My Friends?)

It was a three disc set and I felt I was getting my money's worth.

Better question - who here did the Columbia record club ?
(You know, get 11 for $1 (plus shipping and handling) ; just buy 5 more at normal price within the next three years.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
My first album, that I bought at the local grocery store, was CCR's Cosmo's Factory. Listened to it till I wore it out.

I bought two albums just a little bit ago.

Grimes: Art Angles and
Sharon Jones & Dap-Kings: Soul of a Woman

Both great albums, but very different.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
First was a Ferrante and Teicher piano album, don't recall the name.

Haven't bought an LP in probably 30 years. At a guess, probably a Dire Straits album.

Have downloaded a couple of MP3 albums if that counts, mostly Classical, last one was a Stravinsky Stokowsky collection of Bach works. His treatment of Tocatta and Fugue in D minor is amazing.

Also a Weather Report album just for the one track that I like.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

From 1964. Still have it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First record I remember owning was the 7" single of Musical Youth's "Pass the Dutchie." It was several years before I found out what the song meant. Eek

First album I remember owning was the LP of Pac-Man Fever, the one that Jerry Garcia did, IIRC.

I can't remember my most recent album purchase. If you forced me to say something, I'd probably have to say it was either one of the first two Florence and the Machine albums or a Pinetop Perkins CD.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Victory at Sea

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post