SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For Time Travel Story Fans: Predestination on Amazon Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Time Travel Story Fans: Predestination on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
**** PLEASE NO SPOILERS ****

Starring Ethan Hawke and Sara Snook, it's a 2014 film based on a Robert Heinlein's short story "All Your Zombies."

I've watched/read a lot of time travel stories but this is the most intriguing and mind-blowing storyline. I'm surprised I haven't read the story yet. Maybe I wasn't into zombies when I was reading SciFi. I downloaded the short story to read.

In any case, if you appreciate time travel stories, I very much recommend Predestination. It's available on Amazon Prime for free.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its good, but I didn't like the way it ended. Personal preference I guess.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this one. Very interesting show. After about 30 minutes into it, I started to wonder if, based off of the description, I had started the right movie. Pretty soon, it all started to come together. Not bad.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yep, this one through me for a loop at the end!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I read the short story. If I did read it before, it would not have been memorable. I suspect the spelled out acronyms like W.H.O.R.R.E.S. would have gone over my young head. Also, the movie lays out the story better in a way I can understand. Reading the story, I would not be able to pick up the story had I not seen the movie.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Its good, but I didn't like the way it ended. Personal preference I guess.

I agree. I think the screenwriter thought he could add another layer of complexity and even outdo Heinlein at his craft. But now you’re left with someone who lives with a memory of the future to come. When he gets deeper into his psychosis in the future, he will continue to have the memory of the future and could devise a plan to thwart it and prevent his memory from actualizing.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Great movie. It had me turning in circles.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this flick. I've read some of his shorts and it makes me want to read more of his stuff.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post