SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    There are only 4 perfect movies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There are only 4 perfect movies Login/Join 
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'd like to know his criteria and rationale. I wonder what he means by "perfect?"

Yeah, is the movie "perfect" for taking a good nap in the ol Barcalounger or maybe something else Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dodsworth is a GREAT film. It is on TCM from time to time.

If this critic has the credentials of Roger Osborne or Roger Ebert I might be give it some credence.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:
I'd like to know his criteria and rationale. I wonder what he means by "perfect?"

Yeah, is the movie "perfect" for taking a good nap in the ol Barcalounger or maybe something else Wink

Well, Mamet isn't exactly nobody when it comes to plays and movies. He probably has something interesting to say about this, and a valid opinion, even if you don't agree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What about Blazing Saddles??

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course, it is all subjective.

For me, a film is "perfect" when all cylinders of the production are firing in sync. Script, casting, editing, directing, acting, cinematography, costumes, soundtrack, etc. IMO, most films misfire on the first three of this list; script, casting, and editing. We have seen too many decent movies and could-have-beens with subpar scripts, wrong actor in a key role, and films with too much or too little.

The automatic entries into my Perfect 4 list are The Godfather, and Citizen Kane. The other two would be harder for me to fill. Perhaps Goodfellas, or Back to the Future, or Double Indemnity, or It's A Wonderful Life, or even Godfather II. Hell, Animal House is a near perfect comedy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Seriously, is Galaxy Quest good? I admit to totally judging that movie by the title--it sounds really stupid.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Seriously, is Galaxy Quest good? I admit to totally judging that movie by the title--it sounds really stupid.

Yes. That stated, being 20 years old, it is showing its age a bit, as all SF movies do with time, some more, some less, and others massively so.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Yes!

If it weren't for the very last scene, I'd have to add Wuthering Heights, but give the nod to District 9 instead.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
And we should care why?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
And we should care why?

Maybe you would be more comfortable here:Your Favorite Thing is a Filthy Commie

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats like, your opinion, Man!
I'll have to go look them up and take a gander.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is only one perfect movie ... clearly the other three must be imperfect!

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:

And Young Frankenstein...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's stupid in the best way possible. A few years back we bought a projector, that was one of the first movies we watched.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know that it's a send-up of Star Trek TOS, yeah? It is well done and hilarious.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Casablanca came on the other day - deserves to be at the top of any list.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
A perfect film list without a Stanley Kubrick film on the list is not a list worthy of jack shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always get A Place In The Sun confused with A Walk In The Sun. Less killing in the one. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'd have to put The Empire Strikes Back and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid on my list.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You know that it's a send-up of Star Trek TOS, yeah? It is well done and hilarious.

oh yeah,

and done well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post