SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I Miss Jerry Garcia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Miss Jerry Garcia Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really do too!

He was one of a kind, such a great performer. The combination of Garcia/Hunter made some truly great songs, music and lyrics that fit so well together.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Saw him over 100 times. Loved his playing.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

He was one of a kind, such a great performer. The combination of Garcia/Hunter made some truly great songs, music and lyrics that fit so well together.

Nail head, meet hammer. Yep, I'm a fan.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

Do you have favorites that stand out?

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of The Grateful Dead,

basically hated everything I have heard (had a coworker that was a deadhead, so I got to hear a lot, )

years later, I found David Grisman,
love his work, some of the best Bluegrass/acoustic jazz out there, hands down,

he was friends with Jerry, and did a couple albums together,

and they are wonderful,

I have a much better appreciation for Jerry Garcia,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
well, most of us do have a touch of grey, and for many of us our truckin' is long in the past.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Black Muddy River

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andcommande:
quote:

Pretty much the “the definitive concert”

https://www.amazon.com/Cornell...rton+hall+5%2F8%2F77

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andcommande:
quote:

I have a lot of favorites. I will work up a list shortly. His work in the Jerry Garcia Band was excellent as well. People that do not care for the psychedelic side of the Dead, should take time to listen to Jerry's Country, Blues and Bluegrass oriented music. As posted above, his work with Grisman is fantastic. If you like that material, listen to Old and In the Way. Really good stuff.

https://www.allmusic.com/album...the-way-mw0000191284

Chance favors only
the prepared mind.
Picture of Dad250
posted Hide Post
I always preferred Jerry band to the whole GD complement - FishOn's comment about David Grisman - Pizza Tapes are excellent.

For your consideration -

Brothers and Sisters

https://youtu.be/yMl-m36mZ0I

SIG P229 9mm
Springfield Armory XD-9 9mm

AUT PAX, AUT BELLUM

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Posts: 550 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
To see how Jerry played country music, check out his work on El Paso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOLrBMIWz8

And here he is on Mama Tried and Mexicali Blues. I was at this show. More camera footage of Jerry on Mexicali Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4JjpB6IRc

Here is the Jerry Garcia Band doing After Midnight, and this WILL blow your socks off!! If you do not like this, Jerry is not for you. If you like Clapton and only have time for one link from this post, this is the one. It is just sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6_3T8wQyjUHere

Jerry, Grisman and Tony Rice in action. Smokin'. This a bootleg recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ODUbDLS7A

And one of my all time fav Jerry tunes, Friend of the Devil (originally from the American Beauty LP 1970), with David Grisman on mandolin. The back and forth between Garcia and Grisman is really good. Jerry just sits back on the acoustic guitar, and lets David sparkle. This is an amazing recording. I have the half-speed mastered vinyl and it just kills me. Computer speakers barely scratch the surface of this recording. Having a quality turntable/cartridge and original vinyl makes a huge difference. I realize it is not practical for most, but it is my passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEE_OPBVBc

I know the Dead are a tough sell on Sig Forum, but I do believe most here do not know about them, other than the hippy/psychedelic reputation they had.

Jerry's music far eclipsed that scene. I do not know of any guitarist that could play ALL of the genres, better than Jerry could. Jazz, Blues, Psychedelic, Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Classical. I have all of the greats on original vinyl.

Yes, I too, miss Jerry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FishOn,

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I used to be a huge closet Dead fan back in the 80's, saw them a few times despite my goth tendencies. After Jerry died I stopped listening, and stopped caring about the post-GD Weir and Lesh bands.
Then I saw Dead & Company a couple years ago and I've come full circle and have been listening to them daily since.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, D&C are good. I know the guitar rep, and have been backstage. They are very good. Mayer is decent. But Jerry's soul is missing. That scene is very much over. Dead and CO are a great show. But it is not Jerry Garcia. I also attended the Fair Thee Well shows, with Trey from Phish standing in for Jerry. Nice, but not even close to the real thing. Its OK--nice to see the music live on.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I like his ties.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, D&C are good. I know the guitar rep, and have been backstage. They are very good. Mayer is decent. But Jerry's soul is missing. That scene is very much over. Dead and CO are a great show. But it is not Jerry Garcia. I also attended the Fair Thee Well shows, with Trey from Phish standing in for Jerry. Nice, but not even close to the real thing. Its OK--nice to see the music live on.

I should correct myself in my post earlier. I'm not listening to D&Co regularly, but GD daily since.
Smile

I'm looking forward to getting the new Garcia box-set that features pretty much everything he's recorded prior, I think it's called Before The Dead. I've heard snippets from it on the Sirius/XM Dead channel and it sounds really interesting.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I hope you're enjoying the Big Steve Hour on SiriusXM - it's absolutely fantastic.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Cool. I do not have Serius. Pre-Dead Jerry is great, especially the Warlocks material, and also his early bluegrass and Jug-band music, etc. But, his best work was with the Dead, and also his side-projects with Grisman, and with the Jerry Garcia Band etc.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for us) , he played pretty much non-stop in the '80s/90s, to help pay for his addictions. Many of the great musicians did this. Miles Davis and Billie Holiday, for example. The music lives on. Jerry died from arterial scelerosis, but he was an opioid addict, from around the late 70s. I guess he was a pioneer, in that respect. Sad.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was a Dead Fan, not avid, back in the '70s. I strayed away for some years and got back into them a few years back. Didn't realized what I missed and have been catching up, thanks FishOn for some great links.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post