SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    James Blunt - musical tribute to his father
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Blunt - musical tribute to his father Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
James Blunt’s father is dying of stage 4 chronic kidney disease.
James Blunt wrote a song to him.
I’m not crying, you’re crying, okay...I’m crying.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like his music. Little known fact.

quote:
Military service
James Blunt
Allegiance United Kingdom
Service/branch British Army
Years of service 1996–2002
Rank UK Army OF2.png Captain
Unit Life Guards
Battles/wars Kosovo War
Having been sponsored through university on an army bursary, Blunt was committed to serve a minimum of four years in the armed forces. He trained at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in intake 963,[12][18] and was commissioned into the Life Guards, a reconnaissance regiment. He rose to the rank of captain.[19]

The Life Guards, part of the Household Cavalry Regiment, were primarily based in Combermere Barracks. Blunt was trained in British Army Training Unit Suffield in Alberta, Canada, where his regiment was posted for six months in 1998 to act as the opposing army in combat training exercises.[20]

In 1999, Blunt volunteered to join a Blues and Royals squadron deploying with NATO to Kosovo.[21] Initially assigned to carry out reconnaissance of the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia–Yugoslavia border, Blunt's troop worked ahead of the front lines, locating and targeting Serbian forces for the NATO bombing campaign. On 12 June 1999, the troop led the 30,000-strong NATO peacekeeping force from the Macedonia border towards Priština International Airport. However, a Russian military contingent had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. American NATO commander Wesley Clark ordered that the unit forcibly take the airport from the Russians. General Mike Jackson, the British commander, refused the order, telling Clark that they were "not going to start World War Three for you".[22][23] Blunt has said that he would have refused to obey such an order if General Jackson had not blocked it.[24]

During Blunt's Kosovo assignment he had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank, and would sometimes perform for locals and troops. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery".[25]

Blunt extended his military service in November 2000,[26] and was posted to the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment in London, as a member of the Queen's Guard.[8] During this posting, he was featured on the television programme Girls on Top, a series highlighting unusual career choices.[27] He stood guard at the coffin of the Queen Mother during her lying in state and was part of the funeral procession on 9 April 2002.[28]

A keen skier, Blunt captained the Household Cavalry alpine ski team in Verbier, Switzerland, becoming the Royal Armoured Corps giant slalom champion in 2000.[29] He left the army on 1 October 2002 having served six years.[30]

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you brother.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I like his music. Little known fact.

quote:
[...]

During Blunt's Kosovo assignment he had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank, and would sometimes perform for locals and troops. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery".[25]

[...]

The video to that song includes shots from his Kosovo video diary.

That's also all him in "Cold", which is a reversal of the video to his first real hit, "You're Beautiful".

My favorite video of his however is "Bonfire Heart". Of course the encounters, though with real local residents, are all staged - except for the wedding couple at the end. Apparently they happened to have their reception at the venue where the final shot with all involved took place, so he played for them. Yes, I'm a fan.

Posts: 2407 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Heard him in concert. Outstanding singer and songwriter; hard to pick one, but one of my favorites:

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Monsters Lyrics:

Lyrics
Oh, before they turn off all the lights
I won't read you your wrongs or your rights
The time has gone
I'll tell you goodnight, close the door
Tell you I love you once more
The time has gone
So here it is
I'm not your son, you're not my father
We're just two grown men saying goodbye
No need to forgive, no need to forget
I know your mistakes and you know mine
And while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud
So daddy, won't you just close your eyes?
Don't be afraid, it's my turn
To chase the monsters away
Oh, well I'll read a story to you
Only difference is this one is true
The time has gone
I folded your clothes on the chair
I hope you sleep well, don't be scared
The time has gone
So here it is
I'm not your son, you're not my father
Sleep a lifetime
Yes, and breathe a last word
You can feel my hand on your own
I will be the last one, so I'll leave a light on
Let there be no darkness in your heart
But I'm not your son, you're not my father

My father passed away 9 years ago from Stage 4 Bone Cancer......I didn't cry........I wept.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
It's rare to hear your own eulogy.

BTW, Blunt's father is himself a former career cavalry officer and helicopter pilot. Apparently the family's military tradition goes back all the way to their Danish ancestors invading Britain in the 10th century.

Posts: 2407 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post