SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    List: Songs most 40-somethings should know and be able sing most words
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List: Songs most 40-somethings should know and be able sing most words Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I can't sing.

I'm trying to come up with a list of songs to play on a guitar (primarily acoustic) that a group of typical 40 year olds should be able to sing *most* of the words, not just the chorus.

The point is to have them do the singing if we're just sitting around a campfire, tailgating, etc.

Something like Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville, maybe Tom Petty - Free Fallin.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Pie. Don McLean

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
40 year olds.... so born circa 1979?

I'm guessing most folks start picking up songs during their mid-teens.....so adding 15 years to 1979 would target popular songs starting around 1994.

If any of the above makes sense - and it may not as I am just thinking this through - then I am not sure that '70s Jimmy Buffet/Don McLean or '80s Tom Petty - great as they are - are sure bets for those born around 1979.

Worse, I have no idea what songs might have been popular in the mid'90s. Relative to that era, my musical tastes run pretty much to neanderthal hits with the beat driven by mastodon bones played on saber-tooth-tiger-skin drums... [i.e., songs like Margaritaville, American Pie, Free Fallin. Smile]

I would bet we have some SIGforumers of more recent vintage than I who can chime in as to sure-fire singalong songs of the mid '90s. Failing that, one could Google American Billboard chart ratings of the mid '90s with an eye to finding a guitarable, singable tune having had had staying power during the period your target audience was receptive.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Something like Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville,

Do 40-somethings even know this song? Big Grin

I know a couple of 30-somethings who don't know any Rolling Stone songs, not familiar with them. As far as those 40+, maybe Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Or REM "Losing My Religion" and Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun"?

Or some old standards like "Show Me The Way To Go Home", "This Land Is Your Land" "Theme From The Flinstones" Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Hotel California - Eagles

Desperado - Eagles

Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks

On the Road Again - Willie Nelson

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams

Boys of Summer - Don Henley

All My Exes Live in Texas - George Strait

more to come....

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Jack and Diane - John Cougar Mellencamp

Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison

Sister Christian - Night Ranger

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Louie, Louie

Theme from Gilligan's Island

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Born in the 70s and yes, Margaritaville is well known.

American Pie - not a chance

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Lyin' Eyes -Eagles
Stairway to Heaven -Led Zeppelin
Sweet Caroline -Neil Diamond
Song Sung Blue -Neil Diamond
Take Me Home, Country Roads -John Denver
Here Comes the Sun -The Beatles
Yesterday -The Beatles
Let It Be -The Beatles
Can't Buy Me Love -The Beatles
Blowin' in the Wind -Bob Dylan
Dust in the Wind -Kansas

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ All songs from the Sixties and Seventies? Come on, kkina.

Like oddball suggested, the song playlist should be more heavily skewed toward the late Eighties and Nineties.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
All songs from the Sixties and Seventies? Come on, kkina.

Nope, not following that. These are songs most people of any age should know. These are the songs I used to do around the campfire to 40-somethings. Of course, that was 20 years ago.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Tom Petty - Free Fallin

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh that age group. I see:

Farmer in the Dell
Muffin Man
Wheels on the Bus
Ring around the Rosie
Row Your Boat
BAA BAA Black Sheep
Old MacDonald

Easy to sing and play on your guitar with MR. Microphone.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'll defer to the experts.

Top 30 Best Songs of the 80s For Acoustic Guitar.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just listen to Chicago's greatest hits album. That'll keep anyone busy for HOURS...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Nope, not following that. These are songs most people of any age should know. These are the songs I used to do around the campfire to 40-somethings. Of course, that was 20 years ago.

Yeah, when people in their 40s had been listening to music from the '60s and '70s in their teens and early twenties.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Yeah, when people in their 40s had been listening to music from the '60s and '70s in their teens and early twenties.

There were 30- and even 20- somethings in that group, too.

I'm not saying don't do the new stuff. I'm saying start with the classics. They're classic for a reason.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
At 49, I know a lot of those. But, I have pretty wide ranging tastes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfg6-4mBs6Y

------

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8

------

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

------

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

------

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8zcbC_Dcw

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Totally forgot about that Tonic song. Used to play it a lot but it’s been many years.