SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Barry (HBO)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barry (HBO) Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I had heard good things about this series so I am giving it a try. I'm three or four episodes in and still on the fence.

Anyone enjoying this one? Does it start to take off or develop a lot more?

The theme so far is a hitman with a very flat personality decides he wants to be an actor instead of a hitman.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched the first season and liked it.

It is a quirky series filled with quirky characters.

There is a little action but it is not an action series. I would call it a dark comedy.

Sounds like you are about 1/2 the way through. I say stick it out until the end. They are only 30 minute episodes.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught the first couple of episodes during the week prior to New Years.

I was on the fence but thought what the heck I will play along.

New Years Day rolls around, and I get off work that morning and the other half came down from Durham. After an early lunch we started watching it and binge watched the whole season.

She was on the fence also regarding the first three or four but we stuck it out. Now we cannot wait for Season 2.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Dark comedy and worth the watch. It gets better especially with the bald Ukrainian character and Henry Winkler's character,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it, and as others have said, it's a dark comedy. Barry (Bill Hader), while the main character, isn't the attraction to the show in my opinion. The supporting characters are the ones that give strength to the show. Reminds me, I need to watch the latest episode.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We watched a few episodes last year and just couldn’t get into it. Obviously, a lot of people did, it was renewed for the 2019 season.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Dark comedy and worth the watch. It gets better especially with the bald Ukrainian character and Henry Winkler's character,

^ This. The bald man is absolutely hilarious. Looking forward to the new season.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Def a dark comedy. I'm on the fence with it and have been from the start. I don't know how much more they can really do with it moving forward. Hader does a good job with the conflict Barry is dealing with.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like it. Good acting. Fun story.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
My wife and I like it. A little quirky, but that is good these days.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We are 3 episodes into season 2 and I can say that I like season 2 better than season 1. The writers seem to have hit their stride.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I liked the first season overall. It grew on me. Somehow I missed Season 2 and now 3 is out. We just started 2.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it. Great writing. Dark but funny.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty good, great characters, storyline is just OK.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Some really good yet dark and weird situations in that last episode. I enjoy the series.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
TBH we were prepared to dislike it and were hooked after a few episodes. Hader really hit it out of the park with this one.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Very dark humor, but VERY funny and on-point about the Hollywood culture!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post