Find
Notify
Tools

IT Login/Join 
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted
I've been disappointed in Stephen King movies for as long as I can remember. I intended to see The Dark Tower but passed after all of the bad reviews. I'm hoping that IT is good and the previews look appealing but I've been burned so many times before.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The King movies would not be so bad if the books weren't so good.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I liked The Dark Tower, but I never read the novels. I haven't read any King novels. There've been plenty of good adaptations to go along with all the bad ones.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the best will always be The Shining,
as far as King novels brought to the screen

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Stand by Me and The Shawshank Redemption were King shorts that were two of my favorite movies.

But the absolute best novel to screen adaptation I ever saw was The Green Mile. Almost every dialogue was perfect and the casting really couldn't have been more spot on. It was like I was reading the book all over again except I was watching it on the screen.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The Mist (2007) was a punisher.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
There is no way in hell, any movie is going to do this book justice. They've already tried a couple times haven't they?

It never ends well because reading the book puts you in the characters. It's creepy, you get a tingling sensation, but its not shockingly frightening, which is what the films always try to be. The book isn't written to jump at you like the movie will try to do. It's a slow understanding of whats developing with the creepy feel that wierds you out, not some shock music and quick edit of "surprise I'm an evil clown" jumping at you.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I loved The Stand (TV movie series). I wish they did that format with The Dark Tower series on HBO. It would have been great after GOT was finished. I hope IT is good. As others said, it's difficult to match his books.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:

First one, or remake?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
The Mist (2007) was a punisher.

I see what you did there!

Can't believe there's no love for The Langoliers here. I mean, come on... Dean Stockwell, David Morse, Bronson Pinchot... all in a way too long, low budget mini-series with a typically stupid King-esque ending? What could be better?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

First one, or remake?

Kubrick version

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
saw it yesterday - excellent.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to really like IT. I really liked the beginning. Well done. But then it got really uneven. Overall, pretty solid. Pennywise was very good, not amazing, but well done.

I was hoping the 80s retro would work better. But it did not. Forced or forgotten.

I read a review that the kid actors did a uniformly great job. But, not so much. I think, in the end, 7 was just too many. The fat kid starts strong, good role, and then disappears. The black kid felt like an after-thought.

I think 5 kids total would have been better. And I'm talking move flow, not sticking with homage to Stephen King's book.

It just became a muddled mess. But again, taking highs with lows, pretty well done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Are there people - particularly King fans - who sincerely don't like the Shawshank and Green Mile films, or Misery, or The Shining?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I'm an early SK fan. Now, not so much. I even got into his son's books - Joe Hill aka Joe King, and he lets his politics bleed into the pages, and the stories are so good it just pisses me off.

I rate the top 4 movies:

The Shining
It (2017)
Carrie (1976)
The Mist (2007)

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Saw IT yesterday and enjoyed it.

It was well done and creepy.

Would have been more creepy if I didn't read the book and know what was coming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3457 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night. For me, it didn't quite live up to the hype. It was decent but not great. The same jump scare over and over again, but the clown WAS creepy. The kids' banter was the best part of the movie in a "Stand By Me" kind of way.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
No clown is ever going to catch up to the body count stacked up by Ronald McDonald.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I liked it, and I don't generally care for horror movies.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've never read any SK novels, and only seen one movie, but it was a winner: Misery. Oscar and Golden Globe Best Actress for Kathy Bates.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post