SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Can anyone ID the Speed Racer closing credits cars?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone ID the Speed Racer closing credits cars? Login/Join 
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted
Anyone a fan of the old Speed Racer '60s cartoon, or just a historical car buff? I was curious to figure out what vehicles were used during the end credits. There are 15 vehicles that parade by, not including Spritle's bumper car that tows the scenery into place.

Speed Racer credits

The best I can guess at is:

1. 1410 Giovanni da Fontana "self-driving" carriage
2. 1770 Cugnot Fardier
3. 1803 London Steam Carriage
4. 1897 Daimler belt-driven motorized cab?
5. 1903 Ford Model A Runabout?

6. ?
7. 1910 Stanley Runabout?
8. 1910 Stevens Duryea Model X ?
9. ?

10. ?
11. Model T sedan
12. ?

13. Jaguar XKE
14. 1959 Cadillac Cyclone
15. Hover car concept?

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No help on the cars, but always enjoyed watching the old episodes with my dad.
Wonder if they're streaming anywhere...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
The original series shows a great love for cars, driving, and racing. The end credits prove it with its historical tribute.

Of course, that's all out the car window with that 2008 Wachowskis live-action movie. Just like the later Fast & Furious movies, modern audiences don't relate to driving—they want CGI spectacle, bright lights, and explosions.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the recent movie was a let down. Way over the top CGI/animation sequences.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The live action movie is absurd, but the original cartoon is fairly absurd, too.

I like the original cartoon, and as long as you're not looking for a faithful reproduction of the original, I think the movie is pretty entertaining.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post