SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
News broke this morning that DB Weiss and David Benioff (the show runners for Game of Thrones) who had signed on to do a new Star Wars trilogy starting in 2022, have decided that the current Cannon was not a good fit, and left the Disney project.

Great, isn't this why they rushed the last season of GoT, to start working on the Star Wars project? Now they aren't even doing that. Disney fucks us again.
Yup, the could have had more episodes the last 2 seasons, or maybe another season.

Of course it doesn't help that Martin doesn't have those books written, so who knows if it would have been much better than it was.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Look we can rag on Martin for his writing speed, which has been abysmal, but you can't really rag on the quality of his work.

There is a reason that the GOT seasons that were the best were the ones that were based on the written material. The written material is damn good.

It is possible that the last books will suck but given Martin's track record with the series so far that seems unlikely. More likely he dies before he completes the series ala Wheel of Time.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
News broke this morning that DB Weiss and David Benioff (the show runners for Game of Thrones) who had signed on to do a new Star Wars trilogy starting in 2022, have decided that the current Cannon was not a good fit, and left the Disney project.

Great, isn't this why they rushed the last season of GoT, to start working on the Star Wars project? Now they aren't even doing that. Disney fucks us again.
Yup, the could have had more episodes the last 2 seasons, or maybe another season.

Of course it doesn't help that Martin doesn't have those books written, so who knows if it would have been much better than it was.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
The written material is damn good

It's good, not great. (IMO)

Unfortunately, IMO, GRRM suffers from the "into the weeds" syndrome that some other writers suffer from, but especially when they set out to write a grand tale that encompasses more than 3 books.

For example, A Feast For Crows: While it has the excuse of being an example of poor editing, among other things probably outside of GRRM's control, the fact that he spends so much time on food and weather descriptions is pretty silly.

Additionally, while I am a huge fan of the written series, and hope he eventually finishes the tale of Ice and Fire, I can't help but notice that the shocking subversion of expectations trope is overdone now. What began with the dismal outcome of Eddard's 2nd and final trip to King's Landing, while intriguing, has now shown to be an example of one of GRRM's writing crutches: Subvert your readers by dashing their hopes for any kind of triumphant win or character redemption.

While it's true that this probably closer resembles real life, and also keeps me interested in the series as a whole, I think that kind of writing doesn't translate well to money long term in Hollywood.

I'm not arguing with you. I just find it interesting that GRRM hasn't released his next manuscript, and it might be better for him if he just waits a couple more years to release them. People need to forget what happened on the show, and he better write something better than what D&D put on the screen. (IMO)

Oh yeah, Rise of Skywalker... sorry for the threadjack.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, that just looks stupid. I can guess those 'sandmobiles' are only there to sell more toys. I mean, it's not like they ever had a speeder of some sort that didn't rely on physical contact with the ground (like, say, the kind they used in Return/Jedi on Endor).

And, if I had a hover craft and was being chased by a tracked vehicle (that relies on physical contact with flat, unobstructed ground), I would maybe find the roughest, impassable terrain possible. It would be a very short chase.

This looks like another 'Last Jedi' crapfest.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to watch the trailer but then I did. Ugh! There is nothing practical about those vehicles.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is going to suck. I actually hope it’s phenomenal but that is so unlikely that it’s not even worth pondering.

Just rewatched the Avengers movies. They highlight just one of many fatal flaws that Disney made SW movie have. There is an art to humor. So they fly now”. I guarantee that’s their funniest line and I guathst they try for funny way more than is reasonable.

They need a hard reboot with actual talented filmmakers who actually like the stories.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If the stuff that’s leaking out about this film is even remotely accurate, this film is screwed nine ways to Sunday. Reports of re-shoots, re-writes, multiple cuts, multiple endings and at least a few screenings where the die hard fans got up and walked out in the last third of the film. The plot leaks seem to reasonably reflect what they’re showing us in the trailers. I guess we’ll soon find out.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief, the stormtroopers are riding a Big Wheel, in a universe/world where repulsorlift technology is common, and it 'spring boards' the rider into the air, where jet pack technology already is many, many generations old....smh

Just get this movie over with and be done with the Abrams/Johnson disaster.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's stuff like that short clip that lend credence to some of the leak rumors that are going around. I'm not going to get into any details that could spoil it for folks that care, as I hate spoilers and I'm not even upset that I'm spoiling this crapfest for myself.

I'm listening to a youtube clip of a guy who doesn't even want to believe the stuff he's hearing, because it's so terribly written that he's trying to convince himself this is all disinformation. The problem is, the stuff that's been getting leaked sounds more than probable.

We'll find out soon, but this is looking like it's going to tank even harder than the last one.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It's stuff like that short clip that lend credence to some of the leak rumors that are going around. I'm not going to get into any details that could spoil it for folks that care, as I hate spoilers and I'm not even upset that I'm spoiling this crapfest for myself.

I'm listening to a youtube clip of a guy who doesn't even want to believe the stuff he's hearing, because it's so terribly written that he's trying to convince himself this is all disinformation. The problem is, the stuff that's been getting leaked sounds more than probable.

We'll find out soon, but this is looking like it's going to tank even harder than the last one.

Disney's biggest problem is how the movie will be compared to the Mandalorian series. With the success of the Mandalorian, it is very tough to sell Star Wars all worn out crap. Kennndy was recently griping "there isn't any source material"..............really you ignorant twit????? Books, comics, fan movies, etc....Oh those aren't full of SJW crap so for her it isn't source material.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
they heavily played on the Mandalorian to help launch Disney Plus. So they can't play it both ways, either we will launch all these TV shows people are clamoring for or there is Star Wars fatigue.

Which is it? We all know. There is shit SJW fatigue. But the likes of Kathleen Kennedy will never accept that. Until she is fired you will not see a good Star Wars movie again

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Disney's biggest problem is how the movie will be compared to the Mandalorian series. With the success of the Mandalorian, it is very tough to sell Star Wars all worn out crap. Kennndy was recently griping "there isn't any source material"..............really you ignorant twit????? Books, comics, fan movies, etc....Oh those aren't full of SJW crap so for her it isn't source material.

You're absolutely correct. I think she effectively sealed the death warrant on her career with TLJ. They're not going to let her go immediately, because of "optics," but they know she was the root cause of a lot of the failure in the handling of this franchise.

This video speaks directly to that set of issues, and gets into some detail. I listened to it earlier while I was working on something, so there may be some spoilers on the upcoming film, I can't recall exactly. Did a few of these in a row and it was all damning stuff that started to run together.

But yes, it looks like Disney realized Kennedy is a cancer on the franchise and with the Mandalorian taking off well under Favreau and Filoni, I think a regime change of who's in charge of the IP is starting to happen. I just wished they'd done it years ago. Apparently, The Force wasn't female, it was cash, and woke Mary Sues, shitty plots, and blaming "a vocal minority" of "white male nerds" doesn't make the cash fall from the heavens. Cool experiment, Disney. Didja learn anything? This woman took one of the most successful franchises of all time and has lost you billions of dollars with her "improvements."

posted Hide Post
Ok. I hated the last one for all the reasons you guys already know. Wouldn’t pay Disney to see this one. It came up free on a friends account so I watched it. Watched it a second time with son who for full disclosure is nearly jihadist angry with Disney for what they did to SW’s. Lol

He is still angry, gave it a 3 out of 10. Overly harsh. I gave it 6.5 and I congratulate JJ for at least trying to rise from the ashes.

This movie is easy to cherry pick stupid things. If you look close, and sometimes not so close, you can cringe. If you just sit back and pretend TLJ didn’t exist and your anger, this one was ok.

They kind of apologized for the stupid stuff which I appreciated. “Let’s try the Holdo (admiral prom dress) maneuver”. “No that was a one in a million thing”. Actually it was completely bullshit but at least you minimized the stupidity going forward. Rose was minimal. I think she would have been in it even less except she was in cut scenes from TLJ with Leia. Still tiny role though. So that was good. I saw no real pandering going on, yes the lesbian kiss is like 2 seconds but that was all.

They got the humor right. C3PO was straight up funny. The humans had just about the right amount. They answered Snoke in about as reasonable way you could starting from Ruin’s mess. Luke was redeemed. Leia wasn’t even annoying. The Kylo Ren arc was good I thought. General Hux was a horrible mess but self correcting eventually.

Basically, go see it. Don’t pay for it. That will be Disney’s penance but it was a decent movie and way better than I expected.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they managed to do it, but IMO these 3 Disney produced Star Wars movies are EVEN WORSE than the 3 prequel movies.

All three of these are hot trash and should never have been made. SMFH. Frown

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still think Phantom Menace was worse than this last one.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
There are only 4 Star Wars Movies in my world.

Rogue One, New Hope, Empire Strikes, and Return of the Jedi.

Everything else doesn't exist.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I still think Phantom Menace was worse than this last one.
Tough call, they are both very shitty in very different ways.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Rogue One, while decent, to me wasn’t even near the first trilogy.

Earth Maul was also the most interesting mofo in the Star Wars Universe and Lucas killed him off after only a few lines.

Whole thing has been a cluster since 1983.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my big question is what was it? 18 hrs before the big bad happen but they had time to travel everywhere? I watched it drunk so I don't remember the exact timeline

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
They got the humor right. C3PO was straight up funny. The humans had just about the right amount. They answered Snoke in about as reasonable way you could starting from Ruin’s mess. Luke was redeemed. Leia wasn’t even annoying. The Kylo Ren arc was good I thought. General Hux was a horrible mess but self correcting eventually.

Basically, go see it. Don’t pay for it. That will be Disney’s penance but it was a decent movie and way better than I expected.

Thanks for the (non-spoiler) review.

It's on Amazon Prime for $5.99 to rent in HD. Since there are no disc rental places around, any more, it's either that or buy it for either $20 (DVD) or $25 (digital, UHD, on Amazon Prime).

I think we'll rent it to watch tomorrow night.

I guess my wife and I are a lot more easily-amused than true SW aficionados. Hell, we didn't even hate Jar Binks, the Ewoks, or TLJ Smile, so we'll probably enjoy this one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post