SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Star Wars is over.

There were only 4 films in the Series.

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

And a single prequel, Rogue One.

Leave the rest to your imagination or whatever book series you prefer, if you must.

That's it. Period.

Dot.

The End.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The Mandalorian series is quite good

And the Clone Wars series, it may be a cartoon, but there is some good story there

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm finally getting around to watching Star Wars Rebels. Comcast carried it for a bit and then something changed or I didn't keep up and couldn't watch older episodes as they expired.
Starting over and hoping to get it all watched in 1 month.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished up Rebels a few weeks ago. I had watched the first season or two years ago, but lost interest for whatever reason. The animation was well done, but overall thought Clone Wars was better. Some of the Rebels stories are hit and miss, and the kid (Ezra) got to be more of an arrogant jerk as the series went on.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
To be honest, I think the main problem is that people are just getting tired of the big movies, and to a lesser extent Star Wars in general. Retconning isn’t going to fix that.

Disagree, what people don't like is bad scripts/plots and polished turds. Especially when a very rich and diverse resource of stories and characters are available but, instead is discarded in an effort to 'bring newness and freshness to the SW universe' Roll Eyes

People will flock to big-budget movies, the entire Avengers/Marvel-series of movies proved it; we can debate the merits of which ones were enjoyable and which ones were awful but, they were all interconnected into a larger more complex storyline and people bought-in. People were compelled to go out and watch them because they might miss something important that's connected to the overall story arc. It was obvious that there was a singular vision (Feige) who required buy-in from key stakeholders (Russo Bros, cast, etc..) over the long-haul of the saga.

Audiences will buy-in when it's clear that a vision is being executed, the people hired to execute that vision also have an understanding of the material and what's produced isn't scrubbed and polished by various committees with varying agendas.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only thing you forgot was anyone who disliked any portion of their "masterpiece" and you're a racist/sexist/bigot/homophobe/etc....

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Crap is crap.
Officially sanctioned crap is worse.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Apparently, the latest rumor leaked from a Lucasfilm insider is that Disney may be planning to scrap the sequel trilogy, retconning it as an "alternate universe", in an attempt to save the failing Star Wars franchise.

Do you watch OverlordDVD too? Doomcock?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
There’s no way we can be that lucky in 2020.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Skywalker saga is played out, and with Carrie Fisher gone, and Harrison Ford unlikely to ever play Han Solo again, there doesn’t seem anywhere left to go.

Nowhere left to go? That's just lack of imagination. This may come as a shock to some, but it IS possible to have a Star Wars movie WITHOUT the Skywalker family in it. They just didn't want to try. How many Star Wars EU novels are there? Dozens? Scores? They have an entire universe to explore, but can't get past the same one family as focus. Look at Star Trek - after the Original Series, they created TNG, DS9, and Voyager all set in the same universe with some minimal cross-over of characters, but with new crews in new situations. Don't tell me Star Wars is incapable of that. The Mandalorian proved it is possible to do, and do well.

quote:
The sequel trilogy was an attempt to pass the torch to a new group in Rey/Finn/Poe, but I don’t think people would be any more interested if it was a different group.

They SAID that 'pass the torch thing' but they were never serious about it. I thought Ep 7 was a decent attempt, but they STILL brought in Han Solo & Chewie, Leia, the Falcon, Admiral Akbar, C-freaking 3PO (I really HATE his character), R2D2, etc. How can they pass the torch if the original cast doesn't get out of the way? Ep 8 was worse, centering on the 'old' Leia/Luke characters. Ep 9 didn't even try to make it better, as they brought back in Palpatine (they were so terrified of making anything truly new that they just kept regurgitating the same old crap back). And R2. And C3PO AGAIN (like we really need the same old characters in 10 movies!?!?!?!). It's like they figured if they put the same old characters in, Star Wars nerds will flock to see it. If they want to 'pass the torch,' pass it already.

quote:
I think the big blockbuster movie format for Star Wars is dead too. The longer form serial format from TV shows like The Mandalorian and the Clone Wars animated series are more interesting to me.

I disagree. Big blockbusters are good, so long as they have good original stories. hollywood insists on churning out sjw garbage with crap stories, then blame us for 'not liking big blockbusters.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Apparently, the latest rumor leaked from a Lucasfilm insider is that Disney may be planning to scrap the sequel trilogy, retconning it as an "alternate universe", in an attempt to save the failing Star Wars franchise.

I saw this also,leaked by someone called 'Doomcock' (a Star Wars villains name if ever there was one) and upon research it appears to be, ahem, nonsense, and I can find no other confirmation.

And you won't, either. He outright says multiple times not to take it as anything other than rumor. However, his leaks about the Rise of Skywalker were absolutely on-point. There are people inside Disney and Lucasfilm who are really not thrilled with Kathleen Kennedy's handling of the franchise. But if you think it's nonsense, time will tell. If John Favreau has Kennedy's job by 2022, we'll know it wasn't nonsense.

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

Do you watch OverlordDVD too? Doomcock?

I dunno if Rogue does, but I do. He's actually pretty reliable. If he wasn't over the target, he wouldn't get the flak he's gotten. YouTube has unsubscribed me to his channel several times now, and it started happening so often to so many people he started warning about it at the beginning of every video.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
To be honest, I think the main problem is that people are just getting tired of the big movies, and to a lesser extent Star Wars in general. Retconning isn’t going to fix that.

Disagree, what people don't like is bad scripts/plots and polished turds. [SNIP]

I disagree with everything Dwill posted and agree with everything corsair posted. The fans don't have "Star Wars fatigue," that was an attempt to shift blame to the fans for Solo torpedoing by the people who ruined the franchise instead of recognizing it for what it was: the new content is garbage.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
He outright says multiple times not to take it as anything other than rumor. However, his leaks about the Rise of Skywalker were absolutely on-point. There are people inside Disney and Lucasfilm who are really not thrilled with Kathleen Kennedy's handling of the franchise. But if you think it's nonsense, time will tell. If John Favreau has Kennedy's job by 2022, we'll know it wasn't nonsense.

I hope, hope it wasn't nonsense and he was right. Nothing would give me a greater feeling of Schadenfreude than to see Kennedy and the rest of her SJWs get the boot and Favreau in the driving seat.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that with all the talent that's out there and all the money that has been spent, we only got ONE good movie out of all that potential.

ONE movie.....

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Not that Rogue 1 was a great movie, it wasn't it was okay, but if the Sequels had been even close to as well thought out, we wouldn't even have this conversation.

JJ Abrams ruined two classic universes (ST/SW) by not being bothered to attempt understanding the source materials characters/universe. He then bailed and left them to be finished by equally bad action writers. It was only due to his contract he bothered coming back to close out the SW sequel trilogy.

We're just expected to consider them canon, because conglomerate Disney bought their rights? Not I. How well have the products from brands like Marlin/Remington,etc turn out after their buyout by big mega corps. These movies are "products" not films and have no reason to be considered as such.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I just got around to seeing "The Rise of Skywalker" for the first time.

Wow! What a load of crap. I haven't read through this thread, but I'm sure this is just a pile-on. This movie sucked, from the start to finish. The dialog was cheesy. The "jokes" were obvious and contrived. Just stupid. Right down to the insertion of the long lesbian kiss at the end. That wouldn't even be a problem for me, if the movie was otherwise good. But to insert ideologically driven crap on top of a movie that just sucked. Damn.

I vividly remember sitting in the Towers Theatre in Roanoke, VA, in 1977 as a nine year old. When the Star Destroyer first showed up after the scroll, I can still remember thinking that everything for me has now changed. My Sci-Fi fix no longer was dependent on TV episodes of Buck Rogers. Up to this point, I kept holding out hope that things might change, that saner people might prevail. Good job, Disney. It took you 42 years, but you have now officially ended it for me. You have managed to make "Phantom Menace" into a feel-good, happy movie for me.

Disney, your movies aren't worth the disk space to steal them, let alone worth the price of a theater ticket. You bastards!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

“The Left destroys EVERYTHING it touches” - Dennis Prager

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I vividly remember sitting in the Towers Theatre in Roanoke, VA, in 1977 as a nine year old. When the Star Destroyer first showed up after the scroll, I can still remember thinking that everything for me has now changed. My Sci-Fi fix no longer was dependent on TV episodes of Buck Rogers...

I am with you Sigcrazy. My dad took this young 7 year old to see Star Wars and I can vividly remember seeing that Star Destroyer. No movie has ever filled me with a sense of wonder like that very first movie did.

Interestingly, my second movie to see in a theater was Raiders of the Lost Ark. What a great start to a life full of great movies.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post