SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Where are you guys getting it was R2D2 laughing at the end? I'm seeing it confirmed that it's dead/not so dead Palpatine.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It also doesn't translate well when someone asks a question in earnest and only receives smartass comments in return.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thank the Force....

Star Wars Movies Will Take a Break After Episode IX, Disney Says

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said he’s not at all concerned that consumers may be overexposed to the Star Wars brand, but the film franchise will go on “hiatus” after December’s big release.

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”

I don’t buy this Star Wars fatigue nonsense. The same studio that puts out two or three Marvel movies a year and we see them all. The difference, the Marvel movies are all good. That being said, I haven’t seen Captain Marvel yet so don’t flame me. Razz

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thank the Force....

Star Wars Movies Will Take a Break After Episode IX, Disney Says

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said he’s not at all concerned that consumers may be overexposed to the Star Wars brand, but the film franchise will go on “hiatus” after December’s big release.

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”

I don’t buy this Star Wars fatigue nonsense. The same studio that puts out two or three Marvel movies a year and we see them all. The difference, the Marvel movies are all good. That being said, I haven’t seen Captain Marvel yet so don’t flame me. Razz

You aren’t missing much.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Meh, Hollywood's got nothing on Netflix / HBO series.

I'm not remotely interested in going to the movies anymore. I'll wait 1-6 months and watch it in the comfort of my own home for $10.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It also doesn't translate well when someone asks a question in earnest and only receives smartass comments in return.

I did not mean to offend.

It was a "running gag" with my girls, who I "introduced to the Dark Side" in the 90s when they were younglings with Star Wars, TESB and ROTJ on VHS. (they had no idea of SW, and I wanted them to experience it as I did, in order of apearing)

They became "One with the Force" and absorbed any and all things Star Wars.

In the journey, they heard of Sifo Dyas and of the one who "created life" with the Force, and the gag was, R2D2 was the utmost "Sith", and "The One" behind all the power of the DarkSide.

So, that was the reason for my reply.

Sometimes a thing runs so long and is such a part of life, one "thinks" it is so obvious to everyone.

All things exist past, present and future as well as all related to all things in my head, and sometimes I stream that consciousness into other people's reality, and then it gets awkward.

This was one of those.

I certainly was not trying to be a smart ass.

Smile

(shit. try living in my head, with all the crazy fuckers in here....)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
(shit. try living in my head, with all the crazy fuckers in here....)

Hey whatever gets through life. Like one bat shit crazy person told me, " Most days I just try to listen to the nice voices in my head."

Back to our topic, so far the marketing of the movie makes me think that Disney realized they screwed the golden goose badly. There isn't any Star Wars fatigue (hell look at the response of the Mandalorian almost trailer, The Clone Wars final season-damn Dave Filoni-more on him below is good and the fan movies on YouTube), there is a bad stories/bad movies fatigue. Now hopefully the new movie lives up to the marketing.....though I still won't pay to see it at a theater.

Now Dave Filoni, producer for The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels is a true fan compared to the SJW shitheads like Kathleen The Red Queen Kennedy and Ruin Johnson. Here are two excerpts from Wikipedia on Dave Filoni:

An avid Star Wars fan, particularly of character Plo Koon, Filoni dressed up as the Jedi Master for the opening of Revenge of the Sith, and was dismayed at the character's fate in the film. Filoni left Nickelodeon after George Lucas offered him a job, helping him develop a Star Wars animated series. Whilst on The Star Wars Show Filoni revealed that he originally believed he was being pranked when given the Star Wars job.[5]

And:

Filoni's office, as seen in the extra features on the Star Wars: The Clone Wars DVD, is filled with Plo Koon paraphernalia. He has a bust of Plo Koon's head, a model of Plo Koon's ship, an autographed portrait by the actor who played Plo Koon, a replica of Plo Koon's lightsaber on his desk, and his personal Plo Koon costume on display. Filoni also has a notebook-sized planner on his desk with Plo Koon's picture taped to the outside, and he has written the words "Plo Kool" on concept art designs for the Clone Wars, indicating that he liked those designs.

I just wished he was in charge of the three latest episodes of Star Wars movies. Frown

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I read one take on this being that the new order of those with the force would be called Skywalkers rather than Jedi. That's an interesting notion I think.

I for one will still watch everything they turn out for Star Wars. If they roach up another dozen, I'll probably change my tune. But, I'm nowhere near the end yet.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Poster released, confirming the return of Palpatine. There is also a trailer #2, but Disney is delaying it so as not to distract from the new Mandalorian tv series (there is some new footage already seen by D23 Expo audiences and to be released this week).

This installment will end the Skywalker saga (not the whole SW franchise). Anthony Daniels, who plays C3PO, remarked, “It’s kind of hard for me to understand that the story is ending, but what an ending. You’ll love it.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While we're waiting on that second trailer, here's a breakdown of the first one:

https://youtu.be/BKF8RqF3PMA

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:

I don’t buy this Star Wars fatigue nonsense. The same studio that puts out two or three Marvel movies a year and we see them all. The difference, the Marvel movies are all good.

Bingo! If it's good, people will eat it up, if it's shitty, people will spit-it out.
quote:
That being said, I haven’t seen Captain Marvel yet so don’t flame me. Razz

Yeah, since we're on the topic of heavy-handed studios and 'artistic' directors...

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Second trailer has been out for several hours. It's such trash, I won't even post it. GG, Disney. You're going out on a low note for the Star Wars franchise.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This isn't the official second trailer, rather the "special look" shown at the D23 Expo and promised for this week...

From what I understand, the scenes with Carrie Fisher are real, not CGI, due to unused footage from TLJ.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Second trailer has been out for several hours. It's such trash, I won't even post it. GG, Disney. You're going out on a low note for the Star Wars franchise.

Ok, fine, C3PO is a Sith Lord

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A butterfly saber. A red butterfly saber.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

No way Mary Sue Rey is going dark. Im sure its just some force vision or some such. That saber is pretty dumb, not very practical at all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I love that they brought out the Y- and B-Wings after showing us those shitty B/SF-17 heavy bombers. Why the hell weren't those used in The Last Jedi?! How is it the New Order, an organization in exile, has the the funds to design and build all the new ships and equipment shown in the previous two movies, but the New Republic-backed Rebellion forces have been using ships that are more than 20 years old?

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:

No way Mary Sue Rey is going dark. Im sure its just some force vision or some such. That saber is pretty dumb, not very practical at all

When it's folded and running, yes. It's just a stupid trailer gimmick. The sabers that Pong Krell used in Clone Wars, in the Umbara story arc, are very similar.

Practical or not, he is pretty deadly with them, and if you have a source for the series that includes HD audio and video, I HIGHLY recommend watching it that way on a surround system. The fight scenes that include Krell swinging those massive things around are mixed in such a way that it is quite impressive to listen to.

Worth checking out.

SPOILER ALERT:

EDIT - Actually that entire story (3 episodes maybe?) included some really cool sound design. The native population on the planet had some really interesting technology with really cool sounds.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Waiting for Darth Jar Jar

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post