SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Alienist TV series on TNT on Mondays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alienist TV series on TNT on Mondays Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
Just watched Episode 1 (10 in this limited season TV show). “Alienist” refers to the then used descriptor for today’s “Criminal Psychologist”; based on novel of same name. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik..._Alienist_(TV_series)

Set in 1896 NYC (filmed in Budapest, Hungary for the architecture and atmosphere) story of a serial killer of boy prostitute. The then-Police Commissioner is Teddy Roosevelt, along with a NY Times illustrator, and the “alienist” investigate the serial crime.

Acting seemed pretty solid and some actor faces are familiar. Historical setting details are in-line with the time.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Just watched Episode 1 (10 in this limited season TV show). “Alienist” refers to the then used descriptor for today’s “Criminal Psychologist”; based on novel of same name. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik..._Alienist_(TV_series)

Set in 1896 NYC (filmed in Budapest, Hungary for the architecture and atmosphere) story of a serial killer of boy prostitute. The then-Police Commissioner is Teddy Roosevelt, along with a NY Times illustrator, and the “alienist” investigate the serial crime.

Acting seemed pretty solid and some actor faces are familiar. Historical setting details are in-line with the time.

I read the book, twice, a few years ago, very good. Interesting the name they chose for this profession back then, what we now know as an FBI profiler.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Still watching? I'm really enjoying this. I was first taken by the sets and yes, atmosphere. A very real and believable world. It took me a couple episodes to take to the characters but they've come along just fine. Good script with some excellent, snappy, stylized dialog. Tonight's developments turn the whole thing upside down. I've never associated TNT with great exclusive programming but I think this show is pretty special.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I’ve read the book. If the show is half as good, it’ll be pretty damn good.

There was a second book too, but it wasn’t as good IIRC.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been watching the show and have enjoyed it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I read the books a long time ago and really enjoyed them. Very well-written.

I think they are doing an excellent job with the series.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I always wondered why Carr never wrote more than two in the series. His Sherlock Holmes book was very weak, in my opinion.

We are quite enjoying the show, but the actor portraying Teddy Roosevelt should have studied Tom Berenger's portrayal in The Rough Riders.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post