SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bluegrass – “shuffle bowing” ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluegrass – “shuffle bowing” ? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’ve read that “The Orange Blossom Special” isn’t considered to be a valid test of a fiddler’s skill because shuffle bowing is used. I don’t quite know what shuffle bowing is, but I’d think that it would just be another arrow in the fiddler’s quiver, so perfectly legit. If not, why?

In any case, this is my favorite YouTube version of “The Orange Blossom Special”:

https://youtu.be/eCAFfX_va_I

Despite the clowning, it’s very entertaining, and the audio quality is excellent. Besides the fiddlers, watch the musicians on the riser – especially the young lady on the keyboard. She’s getting a kick out of the performance!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ask them to break our their fiddle and play the OBS without hokum or shuffle bowing and see how it sounds.

There are a lot of techniques used in playing instruments to achieve pleasing music. Some are considered un-orthodox, and some have become timeless riffs and licks patterns and phrasing.

If is sounds good, I don't care how they are doing it.

If is sounds bad, who's gonna listen?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Shuffle bowing is nothing but a repetitive pattern. The style of music dictates it.

BTW, that video had only one fiddler.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Watch the fiddler's left hand not do much of anything while hokum bowing. Orange Blossom Special has a hunk of it, but also some good left hand technique in other sections.

A well-played version of OBS is performed by the fantastic fiddler Mark O'Connor, accompanied by the Boston Pops Orchestra. He plays Sweet Georgia Brown and Amazing Grace first. If you want to start the video at OBS, click on the link below.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/pvwfKbqcraQ?t=306

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
<snip>

Are you sure of that? The kid in the striped shirt and dark hat appears to be the principal fiddle, but there are times when the fiddle is heard even though he’s not playing.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>

Are you sure of that? The kid in the striped shirt and dark hat is clearly the principal fiddle, but there are times when the fiddle is heard even though he’s not playing.

They were all the same person. Chris Kempter.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>

Are you sure of that? The kid in the striped shirt and dark hat is clearly the principal fiddle, but there are times when the fiddle is heard even though he’s not playing.

They were all the same person. Chris Kempter.

Ah, so. Thanks, houndawg. I’d bet that J. S. Bach would enjoy this music.

https://youtu.be/BQjUIlvbt3c

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I've played guitar for a long time and occasionally I try to pick up the fiddle and learn something. The violin is so much harder for me to learn. It wasn't long before my guitar playing didn't sound terrible but my pitiful efforts at violin will make you're ears bleed. I'm always in awe of someone who's competent at it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
O'Connor's version includes so many "inside" jokes, if you will, it makes the song more interesting to the informed user. No one thought to bring in the James Bond theme to OBS until Mr. O'Connor innovated. One day I might catalog all the songs within his version.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post