Find
Notify
Tools

12 Strong Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
12 Strong is a new movie based on the true story of the first special operations soldiers to conduct combat operations in Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 attacks, and is based on the book 12 Strong: The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers.

Jerry Bruckheimer movie with a good cast so I have high hopes for this movie. It has a release date of January 19.

I just finished listening to an interview with two of the special operations soldiers that were on this mission and they were both impressed and somewhat in awe of just how accurate this movie was to the mission they were a part of. I also found it interesting that one of them pointed out the similarity this mission had to the Doolittle Raider mission of WW II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Denciie5oA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxag9p-63RU

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
The book was a good read. Looking forward to the movie.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I will probably see it this weekend

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
an article on the movie "12 Strong"

Warning: some spoilers in the article

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...w-12-strong-n2436392

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s about time the Army’s Green Berets get some of the glory, it seems as if the Navy SEALs have the monopoly on war movies about Special Forces types.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's because only one of them are "quiet professionals." Smile

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Saw it today. It was pretty good. I give it a solid B-.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
NBC hated it. I will probably love it....

'12 Strong' proves Hollywood still believes only American lives matter in war...The new war film is colonialism masquerading as unabashed propaganda.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I am seeing this on imax tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

An article written by another beta male liberal who hates portrayals of the type of man he could never be.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Never read a review of it. Had premonitions based on the presence of Aussie Blondie (Hemsworth) and Michael Pena. Not for their acting abilities, but for their prevelance in being cast in so many films.

This movie sucked ass. This movie sucked so much, Dyson is trying to figure out how to power their next vacuum from it.

This movie is Afghanistan what John Wayne's "The Green Berets" was to Vietnam...replete with frontal attacks, rotten characters and missing the entire point. Hell, the characters even sings a few bars from the "Ballad of the Green Beret". There is even an Afghan 'Hamchunk'.

Cinematically: poorly written characters that come off like charicatures, not people. The story is so dumbed down it is cartoonish and treats any literate viewer like they were just released from the primate house. There is no nuance, no depth, in spite of the abundance of potentially interesting and rich material, and no regard for the intelligence of viewers. This film made a movie like Peter Berg's "Lone Survivor", itself an exercise in shallowness, look like "The Godfather".

The way it is shot, you can tell there is nothing foreign about it. The Afghan people are reduced to being a sterotype and enemy made to appear as menacingly dangerous in the same way Hollywood used to treat Native Americans in movies of the 1940's and 50's. The Taliban/AQ look like they are equipped on par with a Soviet Motor Rifle division.

Speaking of which, you could drive a Motor Rifle division through the plot holes, this is so pathetic.

The characters are formulaic: the lone black guy, the grizzled old NCO, the young, bright eyed officer, the wise-cracking comic relief guy, the evil bad guy who twirls his moustache, the young child who attaches himself to the hip of inconvenienced and reluctant GI.

Thematically: When I compared it to 'The Green Berets', I meant it. The action scenes are so absurd and dumb, it reminds me of some of the Golan Globus action movies from the 80's minus Chuck Norris. In fact, it is as bad as 'Rambo III', a movie I can't even bring myself to watch. Let's just say the enemy are at one point trying to using a BM-21 MLRS, busily reloading it, so it can be fired at targets a football field away. yeah, that bad.

Dostum is turned into the Afghan Panch Villa, riding into battle, shooting down Talibans with his pistol. Dostum never went into combat on horseback, never got any closer to the front-line than what he could see from binoculars.

This movie is a pile of dogshit. It isn't even worth your time on cable.

I understand Hemsworth being in it as he is a talentless hack, and Pena has been whoring himself out for years, too, even though he has talent. But Michael Shannon? I can't believe he sunk this low...his reputation with me is tarnished to the point I will have to question any project he is attached to from this point on. He needs to redeem himself.

the only cool thing? Old school tacticool. Three-tone desert camo and black fleece Polartec jackets, old school LBE. No Multicam, no exotic NVGs, no lasercut MOLLE (well, except for one anachronism)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Echtermetzger,

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ So...other than that...good flick, huh? Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a C at best.

If you've read the book by Doug Stanton, you'll see this movie is simply showing a slice of the bigger picture that was going on at that time. Its no more violent, vulgar or, graphic than any popular war movies made in the 50-60's...you can bring your 10-year old to watch this. There was definitely compromises made as it relates to accuracy versus what the studio execs want to make. It's not horrendous, however it's not fantastic or, must-see. If you've followed the war and kept up with various events, this story is not a surprise or, anything revealing.

By the end, you really don't know, the how's and why of the opening months of our fight there....actually, the movie is incomplete and shallow. It's palatable for a simple audience that can't handle complex issues, wars are complex, particularly ones that involve working with indigenous populations and this movie dumbed it down quite a bit. Uniforms and weapons are accurate, aircraft are accurate, language and slang is accurate, actually including a Chief Warrant Officer as a character in a movie was a surprise...can't wait for people to ask, what rank is he? BUT...where's the Team Sergeant, the glue of any good SF ODA?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks like I may have to read the book. I was hoping for more.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's disappointing that it's not a very good movie. I read the book a few years ago and thought it was outstanding and always hoped they would make a movie out of it.

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem is the Michael Shannon part.

The guy is an extreme left-wing agitator.

Can't get past that.

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
It's a C at best.

If you've read the book by Doug Stanton, you'll see this movie is simply showing a slice of the bigger picture that was going on at that time. Its no more violent, vulgar or, graphic than any popular war movies made in the 50-60's...you can bring your 10-year old to watch this. There was definitely compromises made as it relates to accuracy versus what the studio execs want to make. It's not horrendous, however it's not fantastic or, must-see. If you've followed the war and kept up with various events, this story is not a surprise or, anything revealing.

By the end, you really don't know, the how's and why of the opening months of our fight there....actually, the movie is incomplete and shallow. It's palatable for a simple audience that can't handle complex issues, wars are complex, particularly ones that involve working with indigenous populations and this movie dumbed it down quite a bit. Uniforms and weapons are accurate, aircraft are accurate, language and slang is accurate, actually including a Chief Warrant Officer as a character in a movie was a surprise...can't wait for people to ask, what rank is he? BUT...where's the Team Sergeant, the glue of any good SF ODA?

agreed. After having read the book and karma'ed a copy or two off, I was sorely disappointed in the movie.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the heads up.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a C at best.

and that is being generous.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post