SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rambo Last Blood
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Rambo Last Blood Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This review alone! Big Grin

Is 'Rambo: Last Blood' any good? Critics call it a 'MAGA fantasy,' 'orgy of death'

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I've seen them all from First Blood to "Rambo". I thought First Blood was GREAT. Parts 2 and 3 were fun. I didn't hate "RAMBO" but felt the ultra gore and gritty thematic change was jarring. Ultra violence doesn't generally bother me it just didn't FEEL like a Rambo movie to me

Kind of like the Theatrical Live Free or Die Hard release. It was PG13 and removed a lot of language. I don't care if something has or doesn't have language but thematically John McClain is a foul mouthed every man and talking this away from the character took away from the movie for me.

At any rate I am sure I will see this Rambo installment as well and be suitably entertained by the loud 'splody stuff as well. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I will admit, I have never seen a Rambo movie.

I have seen scenes, couldn't tell which movie they're from.

Stallone was never a guy that "I got". Saw the first Rocky, it was OK.

I still don't get it.

Simple criteria:

Are there pine trees? Then First Blood.

Are there rocks and sand? Then Rambo III

Are there jungle trees? Proceed to next question.

Is Stallone pumped up with HGH? If yes, then Rambo (IV). If no, then First Blood, pt. II.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I only saw the original but this review makes it sound like it’s gonna be a nice feel good movie for a lot of us that want to sort that whole Mexico and border thing sorted out!

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...ls-truth-media-wont/

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I'll admit that I have a soft spot for Sly. I'll definitely go see it and I'll probably like it. I go for the distraction and I am easily entertained.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I just saw it, it was worth the price of admission. He smokes at least 2 guys with a Garand, so that alone is something. Charlie would have approved of his tactics.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Big Grin. Smile

With all of the heat this movie has received, it does my heart good to know that while the “critics@ rotten tomatoes score is it at 30%, the “public” reaction on rotten tomatoes is at 85%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rambo_last_blood

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a strange movie. For four movies, Rambo has been a loner but in this one he's suddenly a surrogate father who's got a teenager and her grandmother living with him on his farm.

It's got a lot of action in the last 20 minutes of the movie, but I suppose that's the norm for a Rambo movie. And that action is just as intense as in Rambo.

It's pretty good if you want some pointers on how to set up your multi-acre property to turn it into a Vietcong tunnel maze filled with gruesome death traps.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It's pretty good if you want some pointers on how to set up your multi-acre property to turn it into a Vietcong tunnel maze filled with gruesome death traps.

Finally a DIY documentary to show me how it's done!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it was a strange movie. For four movies, Rambo has been a loner but in this one he's suddenly a surrogate father who's got a teenager and her grandmother living with him on his farm.

It's got a lot of action in the last 20 minutes of the movie, but I suppose that's the norm for a Rambo movie. And that action is just as intense as in Rambo.

I agree, especially the death trap part. Cool
Not the greatest movie but worth it for the action.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a plot device. In all the Rambo movies, the hero is fighting either against something or for someone, and this is not the first Rambo movie in which John Rambo was somehow involved with a woman. In First Blood part II, there was the character of Co, and in Rambo from 2008, the female missionary named Sarah did in a way function as a surrogate daughter for Rambo.

Well, now that John Rambo is back on US soil, what's he going to be fighting against? It isn't gonna be the VC or the Soviet Army or anything like that. He's already taken on the corrupt system in his first film. A stepdaughter threatened by sex slave traffickers is the perfect thing. Ol' Sly was pretty sly with this one. He's fighting on behalf of a female and fighting against a nation and group that a whole lot of people in this country despise, and all of them are evil men.

If not this scenario, what might the conflict be? Seems like Stallone gave this a good bit of thought in the development of this film, and if this really is the last of the series, a tip of the hat to him, but I'm skeptical.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I like Razors take on it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
It's a plot device. In all the Rambo movies, the hero is fighting either against something or for someone, and this is not the first Rambo movie in which John Rambo was somehow involved with a woman. In First Blood part II, there was the character of Co, and in Rambo from 2008, the female missionary named Sarah did in a way function as a surrogate daughter for Rambo.

Well, now that John Rambo is back on US soil, what's he going to be fighting against? It isn't gonna be the VC or the Soviet Army or anything like that. He's already taken on the corrupt system in his first film. A stepdaughter threatened by sex slave traffickers is the perfect thing. Ol' Sly was pretty sly with this one. He's fighting on behalf of a female and fighting against a nation and group that a whole lot of people in this country despise, and all of them are evil men.

If not this scenario, what might the conflict be? Seems like Stallone gave this a good bit of thought in the development of this film, and if this really is the last of the series, a tip of the hat to him, but I'm skeptical.

I understand but he could have had them be neighbors. Or, because a continuing theme was him training the girl to be a horse wrangler, she could have been a student.

For him to go from loner to family man was weird to me, not that he interacts with people.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The entire film series is less than believable. In the first film, he turns a town upside down, singlehandedly. From there, the thing has gotten more and more fantastic. He's chased down by a Soviet helicopter and defeats it. Utterly unrealistic. In real life, Rambo would have been blown to pieces.
In the last film, he killed about 200 guys single handed with a jeep mounted ma deuce and all that happened to him was that he got sweaty. You want realism? You're looking in the wrong place. Rambo films are hero myths, stories that have been told since before man had written language. They're not realistic, nor are they intended to be realistic. Humans crave and need this mythology to contrast their normal, mundane lives.

On the hero scale, saving a neighbor doesn't compare with saving family.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Never really looked at Rambo 5hat way, but totally fits Joseph Campbell’s description in “The Hero with a Thousand Faces”

“A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand but he could have had them be neighbors. Or, because a continuing theme was him training the girl to be a horse wrangler, she could have been a student.

For him to go from loner to family man was weird to me, not that he interacts with people.

If they were neighbors it would have been "Gran Torino: Last Mow." Technically, Rambo used a Garand to dispatch some of the trespassers, something that Walt never actually did. Walt wasn't much a family man either after his wife died, his son was a Yuppie he had a sour relationship with and his grandkids only wanted his stuff. He reluctantly befriended a neighbor who he caught stealing from him.

Five minutes into Last Blood I told my brother "Rambo has just spoken more words than the first two movies combined."

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've got a craving for some good movie theater popcorn, so I might go see this at the morning matinee tomorrow. Just going for the popcorn... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Five minutes into Last Blood I told my brother "Rambo has just spoken more words than the first two movies combined."

There was a point where his discussion with the reporter about seeking revenge sounded much like Rocky's speech about "it's not about getting hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
We are going to go see Last Blood today and expect we will thoroughly enjoy it. We have seen all the other Rambo movies and know what they are about. Even went to see Hobbs and Shaw because the wife really likes the three beefcake main male characters and their over the top antics for just pure entertainment. I still wish I could get my money back for what I wasted on Black Panther though and it was up for Academy Awards movie of the year, go figure.

EDIT: We really liked the movie as expected, even the over the top ending kill LOL. Popcorn was excellent today too. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Next sequel:

Rambo s/p Massive Transfusion Protocol

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Report This Post