SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wonder Woman (2017)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wonder Woman (2017) Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I truly want this to be a good movie while also wanting DC Studios to die horrifically. They've produced their movies with no sense of intelligence, unlike Marvel.

Funny thing is, DC animated studios produce some really excelent stuff. It's the writing/story that is the problem, not the SFX/casting, IMO.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I agree that the animated studio gets it right nearly every time. (I was so disappointed by The Killing Joke, though.) It's the live-action side that sucks.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I was in love with Linda Carter's WW, but I was 9 when I became smitten. Today, those old episodes are painful to watch.

I've been recording old WW shows, mostly just to see Lynda Carter in her prime. I'm with you though. The show is so hokey and badly written/acted it's painful to watch. Just like most shows from my childhood.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. I thought it was good. I like the "historical" context. Pine was good. I just read that Lebanon banned the movie because Gal Gadot was in the Israeli army and she remains an outspoken supporter of Israel.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Gal Gadot makes the perfect Wonder Woman, even better than Lynda Carter, who was gorgeous. After all, WW is supposed to be Athenian, of Greek mythology, and Gal has that sexy exotic look.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Family date for 7:00 tonight at Studio Movie Grill. Looking forward to it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. I tried to remain objective while trying not to mouth breathe and foam at the mouth (Have paid attention to Gal for ten years) as she is just a stunning woman. It's a good film. It's no Dr. Strange or first Thor in terms of cinematic quality (which are excellent films despite being superho films) but it was good. Nice to see a woman protect men and kick ass, a masculine female. Great film for women and little girls to see a woman be tough, lead, with no fear. Should be a hit but I did find it strange my theater wasn't sold out. If it was a male lead the theater would have been sold out. Makes you wonder, no pun intended. Dudes would rather see a male superho film over a stunningly beautiful female lead? I'll take Gal over watching the rest of these Marvel/DC films.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Marvel fan and will see any of their movies in the theater without hesitation. Having said that, I'm also wicked excited to see Wonder Woman. May even see it twice. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Saw it last night. I tried to remain objective while trying not to mouth breathe and foam at the mouth (Have paid attention to Gal for ten years) as she is just a stunning woman. It's a good film. It's no Dr. Strange or first Thor in terms of cinematic quality (which are excellent films despite being superho films) but it was good. Nice to see a woman protect men and kick ass, a masculine female. Great film for women and little girls to see a woman be tough, lead, with no fear. Should be a hit but I did find it strange my theater wasn't sold out. If it was a male lead the theater would have been sold out. Makes you wonder, no pun intended. Dudes would rather see a male superho film over a stunningly beautiful female lead? I'll take Gal over watching the rest of these Marvel/DC films.

I don't think it has much to do with female lead versus male lead. I think it has more to do with Marvel vs DC comics. The DC movies simply don't buzz as well as the Marvel comics.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I don't think it has much to do with female lead versus male lead. I think it has more to do with Marvel vs DC comics. The DC movies simply don't buzz as well as the Marvel comics.

Same deal for me, 10pm viewing for WW, Superman, Superman vs Batman, Suicide Squad, all sold out except WW. So I think it has everything to do with it, at least where I live.
I'm all for the ladies and hope this continues. As soon as we can return the Amazon island the better!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Wonder Woman:

Smoking hot
    Fearless
    Honorable
    Selfless
    Smart as can be
    In her physical prime
    A virgin!

What's not to like?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw the local Tampa news on TV where the movie reviewer gave it a 5+ in stars.....think I'm in! Trailer looks good too.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I just got back from seeing it. I liked it. But I think it is being overhyped, for whatever reason. Some of the reviews I've seen called it the best superhero movie ever. To me, that is still The Dark Knight, and this isn't even close

It's better, to me, than a lot of the marvel movies. But, then again, I think a lot of the marvel movies are strong on eye candy and really weak on story and plot

I'm glad I saw it. I like it better than Guardians 2 by a substantial margin

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I've heard that many parents are not allowing their kids to see it because of the war violence. I'm wondering how bad it could possibly be with a PG-13 rating, and why war violence is worse than other types of super hero movie violence. Confused

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I've heard that many parents are not allowing their kids to see it because of the war violence. I'm wondering how bad it could possibly be with a PG-13 rating, and why war violence is worse than other types of super hero movie violence. Confused

There's def more killing in it then other super hero movies as it is also a war movie but it's not gruesome like a Saving Private Ryan. You see people getting shot and stabbed but no blood or guts.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I just saw it. Great movie, very well done.

On a side note, I just kept thinking, If I was that guy who washed up on the beach...I would have never left!

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
I just saw it. Great movie, very well done.

On a side note, I just kept thinking, If I was that guy who washed up on the beach...I would have never left!

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Saw it this evening and we all enjoyed it. We were at Studio Movie Grill and it was sold out. Fun, park your brain at the door and enjoy it movie. Probably the best of the latest DC Comics movies. The good guy also uses a Winchester 97 pump shotgun, so it has redeeming values.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It could be 2hrs of Gal reading the phone book for all I care.

A smoking hot former Israeli Army girl like that is as close to my so-called ideal as it gets.

And while the DC films definitely aren't as strong as the Marvel ones, I still enjoyed the recent Superman and Batman vs and Suicide Squad. They're all infinitely better than the cheese-filled shows and films I grew up with. The original WW is painfully bad.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've never been a DC fan, so I can't really comment on anything beyond what I saw in the movie. All in all, I enjoyed it very much. There were few elements in the movie that were disappointing compared with what has been seen in the last few live action DC Studios movies. I had high hopes that this film would be good and I wasn't proven wrong.

SPOILERS ALERT

There are a few things I would have liked to see done differently, such as the major fight scene on Themyscira. I wish the Amazonians had been a little more resilient in their fight with the Nazis.

I didn't like that Ares was played by skinny David Thewlis. He's a fine actor, but he doesn't strike me as being the personification of a god, much less the God of War.

It would have been nice to see the other three members of the team fleshed out a little more.
SPOILERS END

There are no Easter Egg scenes once the credits start rolling. I guess DC doesn't want to seem like they're copying Marvel. So feel free to get the hell out once the movie fades to black.

The musical score was nice, though it was huge foreshadowing the couple of times they played Diana's theme.

Lots of comedic moments, as Diana is naive about the true way of the world even though she's well-read on worldly matters.

This was a good movie on DCs part. I won't say they're going to turn it around, as they seem to resort to ensemble movies too much. This was the first solo movie DC has put out since the Nolan Batman trilogy. (I don't count Man of Steel as he had to interact with a bunch of other Kryptonians.) Since Ben Affleck did such an amazing job as Batman in Batman v Superman, I'm looking forward to seeing his solo outing. But Justice League looks like crap, so I'm not looking forward to seeing it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post