SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wonder Woman (2017)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wonder Woman (2017) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who went to this with his lady and complained about what he saw as anti-male overtones. I was like, "You went to see a movie called Wonder Woman! WTF did you think it was going to be you dope!"

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I have a buddy who went to this with his lady and complained about what he saw as anti-male overtones. I was like, "You went to see a movie called Wonder Woman! WTF did you think it was going to be you dope!"

Good God almighty. Some movie about superhos starts and it is an island of athletic hotties? The title character and super person is hot and kicks some ass? Sorry I'm a straight white male. If all the superho films were hot female characters...I'm really good with it. Ban all the male actors. Hot wimmins matter. HWM!
I'm putting it in my signature.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The latest silliness is some people are calling for Wonder Woman to be bisexual in the upcoming sequel...

I'd just prefer we have an enjoyable action move that shows a superhero kicking super villian ass without making EVERYTHING about politics, or especially identity politics...

People go to movies to escape reality bullshit... Just make fun movies with enjoyable scripts...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I liked it. I think she could give Superman and Batman a beating if she wanted!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I liked it. I think she could give Superman and Batman a beating if she wanted!

In the DC Animated universe, she gives Superman a run for his money. One episode had both of them bewitched, so that they both thought they were fighting monsters. In 'reality,' they were beating the crap out of each other. . .

She could totally own Batman - she is a trained hand-to-hand fighter (like him), has super strength, an undefined ability to absorb injury [in the beach fight, she was injured/bleeding, but healed within hours; but she took damage without so much as a scratch in her fight against Ares that would have killed any mortal, etc, AND is highly intelligent].

She could probably kick Superman's butt, too.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just watched it. Is it just me, or does Gal Gadot get even hotter when she smiles?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Just watched it. Is it just me, or does Gal Gadot get even hotter when she smiles?

Nope, it ain't just you. That smile could light up a room.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
"I'm both frightened and aroused."

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night instead of that sports thingy they do on Monday night and thought it was very good. It did get a tad slow toward the end, but overall worth the watch and yeah, Gal is hot as they come.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I'd give it a 7/10. Was a fan of Gal since TFATF and she's well cast as Wonder Woman.

I never followed the comic storyline. Is she immortal or can she die from a gunshot like the Amazon on the beach?

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I thought it was one of the best superhero, and especially back story movies out recently.

7/10, maybe 8/10.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I thought it was one of the best superhero, and especially back story movies out recently.

7/10, maybe 8/10.

...and it was Gal's doing. She owned it. It's not impossible of course, but I can't imagine this role being better cast with someone else. When you can't 'get your eyes full enough' you know this person is captivating.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to see this. I'd give it about 6 out of 10. Maybe 7.

I'll admit, I was a bit disappointed. The first 2/3rds was good (but not great). The early scenes with the Amazons and the big mid-movie battle for the trenches/town were well done, but it really started to struggle after the liberation of the Belgian town.

Like some folks said earlier, I seriously had trouble taking David Thewlis serious as the "God of War".

They could have done a lot more with Doctor Maru's character, but she was little more than a plot device. The whole deal with Ludendorf's "super stimulant" was unnecessary. Ludendorf was a joke, especially compared to his historical self. In fact, all three of the bad guys were weak, cheesy characters.

And Steve's three sidekicks seemed like afterthoughts/caricatures. It's almost like the studio demanded that they include some more "exotic" characters, so they decided to throw some stereotypical caricatures of a North African, a Native American, and a Scotsman into the mix at the last minute.

Gal's performance really carried the film.

Overall, it was better than DC's other recent efforts, but still not in the same league as Christopher Nolan's Batman films. And it still fell short of what Marvel seems to be able to pull off over and over again.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
It was okay. Pretty decent for a DC movie. I was a little perplexed at the fact that they ran behind enemy lines to liberate a town and then had a relaxing evening of partying in the town.

If we had been blessed with a DC universe built around Nolan's genius, even Man of Steel wouldn't have sucked. Also maybe Batfleck wouldn't have had machine guns to compensate for creative writers / art department.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched a second time finally....didn't even know that Robin Wright was in it as the queen's sister and head fight instructor. That's quite a leap and very physical role for her, as she's usually a staple of quality dramas.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Liked it up to the battle scene with Ares. I guess all the superhero movies now have gods battling, is that right? Completely ridiculous plot device done with CGI. Ho-hum.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The family and I enjoyed it and thought it was the best of the DC movies released to date although Man of Steel was really good too. Saw Wonder Woman on the big screen and recently on 4K UHD disc. The thing that bothers me about the 4K disc is that unlike most other 4K movies I've watched on our TV, some parts of WW frequently had a somewhat grainy appearance like the transfer to disc wasn't optimal for 4K TVs. The only other 4K movie I've seen with that amount of grain on it was the new Magnificent Seven movie but at the time it seemed like it was done that way on purpose for MS because of it being a western.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
W is currently half price for Amazon Prime members. I just purchase the HD stream for 9.99. I believe the sale price is good through the 16th but can't tell now that I've purchased it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
W is currently half price for Amazon Prime members. I just purchase the HD stream for 9.99. I believe the sale price is good through the 16th but can't tell now that I've purchased it.

We bought this as well because it made more sense than paying $6 to rent it.

It was fine, not sure if it lived up to the hype. I knew people said it was similar to the first Captain America movie but wow... all the way down to the bad guys having an huge plane full of a new super weapon that will take out a large portion of the population.

And then the tail end was a straight ripoff of the Matrix. The protagonist is down and out, finds out someone loves them, becomes way over powered after realizing they are The One/Godkiller (seriously, wouldn't godslayer have been a cooler name?), they they proceed to control a bunch of stuff being shot/thrown at them, easily dispatches the badguy and ends in a Christ pose.

I liked the twist of the British guy being Ares but when he built that suit of armor, you could see way too much of his face. It was really hard to take this huge hulking beast in a suit of armor serious when you look inside and see an old British guy with a ridiculous mustache.

It was fine though. Gal Gadot was great and great as Wonder Woman.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I watched this over the weekend. I honestly thought it was horrible. Gal Gadot was hot, but other than that I didn't find much in it to keep me interested, and barely stayed awake to watch the end.
It just went on way too long to suit me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post