SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Peter Gunn theme.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Peter Gunn theme. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
For y'all's late night entertainment.

It's a shame Jim Allen isn't around to see this tuba player perform.

Enjoy...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MIKSQT-oXfc

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The best theme music for a detective show, bar none!

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Great stuff.... but what's with the tape on the drum kit?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Duane Eddy version is the epitome of cool, but I have to admit I love this version, too...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DenxTCftFg

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Great stuff.... but what's with the tape on the drum kit?

It "tones" the drum, helps to get rid of unwanted higher pitch ringing. Really helps to soften a jazz set.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question: Did Mancini ever do anything that was not great music? OK, except for his theme for Love Story.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I love all those horns, being an old, former horn player myself.

Playing the tuba like that is a real workout - it takes a lot of wind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Very unusual trumpets. Ive never seen these before.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That poor tuba player; my face muscles are cramping up just watching him.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Very unusual trumpets. Ive never seen these before.
Mike

You mean the guys with the rotary valve horns? (The second guy in has the piston-valve trumpet you're used to.)

Rotary valves can handle more airflow, produce a slightly flatter, but more mellow tone, particularly in the upper registers, and are sometimes considered better at "blending" with other brass.

I've never owned one, but I've played one. Owing to the mechanical design, it's very difficult to overblow, so volume is pretty much limited by your lung power.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I like The Art of Noise version.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I like The Art of Noise version.

I like that version, too. The video was...interesting...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-vUY6erQU

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it could be a Dream Sequence from Dr House MD.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been partial to the Silencers' version.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRBEwacfe4

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete is my all time favorite P.I. ,

and ! he had the best g.f. of any of them
Lola Albright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4jFd0XYYb0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some very cool versions.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the little pieces of tape change the tone of the snare...you actually tune individual drums by tightening the small lugs around the drum head

its not just crash, bang, wallop and away you go

Skip Prokop, a friend of mine who was a drummer for a band called Lighthouse, here in Canada also used to 'tune' his cymbals by drilling small holes to change their frequency

I like The Art of Noise version as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I particularly enjoy also versions by ELP and Sound of Noise.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post