SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Megan Leavey - A movie about a Marine and her Explosives Detection Dog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Megan Leavey - A movie about a Marine and her Explosives Detection Dog Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Watched it on Amazon Prime.

Despite the fact that it's about a Marine, there's no profanity or nudity Big Grin

I teared up.

Megan Leavey is a US Marine corporal who served as a Military Police K9 handler. She was paired with military working dog Rex (E168). The pair served two deployments in Iraq together. They were first deployed to Fallujah in 2005, and then to Ramadi in 2006, where they were both wounded by an improvised explosive device. Leavey was awarded the Purple Heart and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with a "V" device denoting heroism in combat.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good movie. I enjoyed it.

drendean

Posts: 48 | Location: Bagdad, KY | Registered: January 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
... there's no nudity ...

With Kate Mara that's a damn shame. Wink

Seriously though, it sounds like the subject matter was treated with the dignity it deserves.
I hadn't heard about this, but it is now on my must watch list.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I watched it with my wife, we both liked it. Nice story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
I watched it with my wife, we both liked it. Nice story.

Same here. We saw in the theater about a year ago.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed this as well.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Looked good but I couldn’t make it through the previews. To close to home.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I watched this movie last night. Based on some of the previous movies released from Bleeker Street productions I was so disappointed in I didn't have high expectations for Megan Leavey. I only really decided to watch it based on this thread.

Really great movie and a really great story. Not Academy Award great maybe, but inspiring story and enjoyable to watch. I learned a lot about the K-9 handler and working dog relationship, how they are trained, what environments they operate in together, and the danger of the various missions they could be assigned on any given day, and came away with a better understanding of how they become so close.

Surprisingly well scored with some good music as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post