New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way of the Gun Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I was chatting with a buddy who is a former operator. While he panned this movie overall as a movie he did say it contained the most correct firearm work he's seen, start to finish, from Hollywood.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Oh, and why did the character playing Russian roulette put his off hand up to the other side of his head?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Sarah Silverman got the crap knocked out of her. Big Grin

And I agree with the gun handling.

As for the second question.....out of consideration for the host's carpet? Razz

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember getting into an argument with a forum member a while back about this movie. I asked why Benicio only brought one extra magazine for his Galil but brought like 20 for his Commander. The response was that the Galil was not common in America/Mexico.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
As for the second question.....out of consideration for the host's carpet? Razz

That's pretty close to my guess. If you watch that scene, he looks to his left and appears to notice something, then puts his hand up to the side of his head as if to shield it. It's like he doesn't want to get blood on the lampshade, or something else off to his left.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
The firearms handling, tactics & realistic reloading was probably because the technical advisor was a SEAL, who also happened to be the director's brother.

Great movie.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am likely in the minority. I thought is was a pretty crappy movie.

The gun-handling was nothing special. Almost like they were trying TOO hard to make it 'realistic'.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as Hollywood goes, it's one of the better movies as far as gun handling goes. You can quibble that some of it is exaggerated however, it doesn't detract from the movie. I do enjoy seeing James Cann's revolver reloads and Del Toro's one-handed 1911 reloading.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I actually DIDN'T like the firearm handling in this. Benicio and Ryan were playing hapless thugs that kept getting into trouble, so I think they shouldn't have looked so proficient in gun training. If they were playing trained soldiers or SWAT members, maybe...

But overall, I did like this film.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually love this movie and the gun play.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
A must see action movie, by all means.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
One of my fave gun movies. I used to buy the dvd's at walmart bargain bin and give them away to people, even karma'd one off here.

There was a 'behind the making of' type of half hour movie on this and they showed the two operators who were involved with instruction and every scene's gunplay.

It also had ryan phillipe explaining how he and del toro had to put in 2 weeks gun training before shooting where they did 10 hours a day doing different courses.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I actually DIDN'T like the firearm handling in this. Benicio and Ryan were playing hapless thugs that kept getting into trouble, so I think they shouldn't have looked so proficient in gun training. If they were playing trained soldiers or SWAT members, maybe...

I think that's a very valid point. Definitely a result of director's SEAL brother 'training how we do it' and the director saying, go with that. Instead, what should've been of two trained shooters, who've delved into the criminal world of opportunist crime.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

But overall, I did like this film.

An old favorite of mine as well, and the lack of backstory always intrigued me. Two schmucks from nowhere stumble into a situation, AND with an incredible assortment of tools and the proper skills to utilize them effectively on hand. What the prelude? What else did they have in the trunk of that car? They didn't pick up a few things at Buy-Mart on the way.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Never seen it, added to the Netflix watchlist.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan pulling the magazine out of his 45 with his teeth kind of upset me.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they had some serious training prior to the movie by the Producers brother who was a former Navy SEAL.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:

I’m pretty sure their 1911s were 9mm

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:

I’m pretty sure their 1911s were 9mm

Yep.

Tapered 9mm barrel:

Crimped 9mm magazines:

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I was chatting with a buddy who is a former operator.
Former operator?

One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy . . .

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post