SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2019 has been horrible for films + Hobbs/Shaw and Spiderman Far from home and streaming services
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 has been horrible for films + Hobbs/Shaw and Spiderman Far from home and streaming services Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
First lets get a couple of opinions on a few films I've seen recently. Normally I don't watch these sorts of films but I have a 4k disc membership and while 4k disc releases are increasing, they aren't releasing at the rate of Blu-Ray or DVD's. So since I'm paying a monthly membership for 4k disc access I get whatever new stuff comes out.

Hobbs and Shaw. This was one of the worst action films I have ever seen in my life. Someone on this forum made some comment about the Avengers bs being more believable than shit in this film. That was 100%. My goodness what a stupid plot, dialogue was just atrocious, poor everything. What Helen Mirren or Idris Elba were doing in this (two actors I consider to be excellent at their craft) escapes me, sounds like they both desperately needed some money. I tried to view Vanessa Kirby as the only redeeming quality in this thing but even she didn't look her best and pretty tough to shine with the lines she had. This was just a shit hole of a film. Happy to Samoa represented but a bunch of sticks against a small army, umm yeah. Or Idris Elba's character and motorcycle being part Tron Legacy part Transformer and part Terminator. I mean the writing was so unoriginal it was mind blowing. I wouldn't even give this movie 1 star out of 5. Not even a half star. The only good thing about the entire thing was the rain in the end via the Atmos channels. That's literally it. In the past something like this would tank at the box office. I looked it up, and it made over half a billion dollars. The nice way of putting it is it was made for the low demanding audience. That's putting it mildly. Hey I know popcorn films will always exist but this didn't even qualify as that. It's always good to turn the brain off for a few hours and enjoy something but this wasn't enjoyable at home with low expectations. The Fast and Festerment franchise has always had some interesting cars and what not, but this deal just went off the rails. And it made a billion. People are either getting dumber by the year in spades or this is just the sort of film where they can play on their phone and easily keep up with the piece of shit that it was.

Spiderman Far from home. Much the same. Jake Gyllenhaal, in recent years, and for a while, has taken on a lot of intense and difficult to act characters in film. Taking the harder roles. He is no Phillip Seymour Hoffman but I respect him as an actor and has taken a harder path than most as it pertains to roles. Not in this. It was a cheese fest, bad plot, bad writing, bad acting, bad everything. I've seen all the Marvel bullshit, 90% on disc as most of it, I wouldn't go to the theater if it was free. But again, watching at home, on Atmos, in 4k with extremely low expectations, it was terrible. Even Sony screwed the pooch. A side note, Disney 4k discs are terrible compared to the other studios, especially against their rival in this space, DC. DC films such as Aquaman are reference material in 4k in both picture quality and audio. Aquaman is no Oscar type film but the picture quality is some of the best I've seen in 4k, and the audio soundtrack was absolutely incredible, utilizing 7.2.4 to the maximum. So back to Sony. The Sony discs are usually damn good, Sony choosing to spend the money to make their Spiderman discs excellent as Sony is one of the main players in PQ and audio. Not on this film. It wasn't as bad as Disney discs but not a whole lot better either. Again after viewing this horrible POS, I look it up, and it made a billion dollars net. Wow. People's expectations of films has dropped substantially over the years and I can't help but think the phones are just making them all stupid.

Then 2019 as a whole, has been the worst year for film since I've been on the planet. No big budget decent action films. That last Avengers deal was nothing spectacular, not to me. It was like the third Matrix installment, a few cool things, but just happy to see the whole fucking thing end. I wish everyone in it would have died, it would have been more appropriate.

But 2019 has also suffered on the independent film releases as well. Even Tarantino's last film released in July was a major let down. This is the first year I can recall in my life where I didn't have at least 3-4 films that were exemplary. Over the last 5 years, instead of sprinkling good film out over the year, the studios choose to release anything decent and solid, all in Nov-Jan, to drop them right before awards season. So I'm sure there are films over the next few months that I will recommend, be quite happy with, such as the Irishman, the Safdie Brothers new film with Sandler, Uncut Gems, but that's 3 months vs. 9 with nothing but shit. Bad big budget summer releases, spring mid budget films, and all the garbage horror films that drop before Helloween.

I think streaming services have a huge part in this. Look at all the series across the various platforms. Disney and Apple launching their bullshit to go along with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and all the series spread among the commercial cable channels. Non-commercial channels such as HBO and SHO are still producing solid series in my opinion such as Succession on HBO. That's been one of the best series I have watched in 10+ years. But I do think these series have pulled budget from films as a whole. The amount of money being poured into streaming services is staggering. And I'm not talking about the apps themselves but the series on them. Apparently as the target demographic of choice, or concentration, as it gets lower in age, the more this generation wants to binge watch a series vs. seeing solid films. With the previously mentioned shit films in this review, making this kind of money, people just aren't demanding anymore, not with their money. Apparently you can make anything, as long as it's CGI out the ass and asses will be in them seats paying in spades.

So to be positive on the end note. Here is to you Marty Scorsese, Christopher Nolan, Phillip Thomas Anderson and the Safide brothers. Keeping flipping the bird at this crap and making your solid cinema. You are kings in a sea of shit. I'm very looking forward to Marty putting something in the Irishman that offends the snowflakes and SJW's as Mobsters aren't into that bs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Based on what you’ve said

Don’t see midway

Definitely see Joker

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yep, from what you members have said about Phoenix (who I feel is one of the best in his trade currently) I am really looking forward to it. I don't go to the theater any more (phones) and film is a big hobby for me so I put in a small HT in, in the Spring where I can enjoy uninterrupted in 4k DV/Atmos. I thank those who reviewed the Joker. Sounds like this year's best.

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I really wish this trend of pumping out crappy big budget superhero movies would end. FFS!

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer. I haven't seen Far from Home yet, but I did like Hobbs and Shaw.

Daisy chaining tow trucks off a cliff? Yea. I wasn't looking for realism when I rented it.

I did have to laugh when Hobbs put his arm out the window and snatched the bad guy off the motorcycle that was coming from the opposite direction, then slamming him into the wall.

I honestly believe no one making this film had any desire to portray real world scenarios. I think the thought process was "hey, let's film the craziest shit we can think of and I'll bet it will make a ton of money."

At least Vin Diesel wasn't lecturing everyone on "FAMILY!!!!!" the whole damn time.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I am easily entertained compared to some on this forum, I like the comic book movies. And I don't see the point in seeing movies that you know by reading the reviews and seeing the trailers you know you won't like. And Jake Gyllenhaal was not in Spider-Man Homecoming which was 2017. Michael Keaton was the bad guy in that one. Anyhow, it has not been a great year for movies that I like but these were some of my favorites
Alita Battle Angel
John Wick 3
Crawl

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I am easily entertained compared to some on this forum, I like the comic book movies. And I don't see the point in seeing movies that you know by reading the reviews and seeing the trailers you know you won't like. And Jake Gyllenhaal was not in Spider-Man Homecoming. Michael Keaton was the bad guy in that one. Anyhow, it has not been a great year for movies that I like but these were some of my favorites
Alita Battle Angel
John Wick 3
Crawl

I really ejoyed Alita. Hope they make another.

Also really liked Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets from a few years ago.

I'm pretty low brow when it comes to movies. Watched Bad Boys 2 on Netflix last night again and laughed the entire time the dreadlocks were dumping cars and boats onto the freeway.

I am looking forward to renting the Peanut Butter Falcon soon though. Heard it was fantastic, so I guess my taste in movies has some redeeming quality.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:

Daisy chaining tow trucks off a cliff? Yea. I wasn't looking for realism when I rented it.

Well the Fast and Furious used to be about cars and what not. With this film it's now Transformers, mutants a la XMen, and Tron. Everything was ridiculous to me. I enjoyed Lucas in Tokyo Drift back in the day. These new ones are part TripleX, part scifi, and who knows what else.

quote:
And Jake Gyllenhaal was not in Spider-Man Homecoming which was 2017. Michael Keaton was the bad guy in that one.

You are correct, and I edited the thread title and OP.

I liked Alita. I liked JW3 also. These two in the OP were just complete stinkers to me, trash.
Making films for the low demanding audience is fine, they are just taking it to new depths.
I'm completely burned out on SuperHo films but I thought Aquaman was done decently and I really enjoyed it and could watch it again. On 4k it's a reference disc.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What we need is more CGI, dammit.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
This thread has motivated me to watch 12 Angry Men for the umpteenth time. Just great actors, great directing, awesome camera work, and a great script. What's so hard about that? (I know, it's really quite difficult and hence so rarely accomplished.)

Off to the TV room; catch y'all later.

Edited to add: I just finished it. If you've never seen it or haven't seen it recently, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Promise.

It's included with Amazon Prime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Shugart,

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:

Well the Fast and Furious used to be about cars and what not. With this film it's now Transformers, mutants a la XMen, and Tron. Everything was ridiculous to me. I enjoyed Lucas in Tokyo Drift back in the day. These new ones are part TripleX, part scifi, and who knows what else.

quote:
And Jake Gyllenhaal was not in Spider-Man Homecoming which was 2017. Michael Keaton was the bad guy in that one.

You are correct, and I edited the thread title and OP.

I liked Alita. I liked JW3 also. These two in the OP were just complete stinkers to me, trash.
Making films for the low demanding audience is fine, they are just taking it to new depths.
I'm completely burned out on SuperHo films but I thought Aquaman was done decently and I really enjoyed it and could watch it again. On 4k it's a reference disc.

Totally agree on Tokyo Drift. Except for one cameo they haven't brought Lucas back and that really pissed me off.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
More SJW and extra CGI. Be sure to put extra explosives in the back seat and the trunk.

Hopefully while I'm watching this crap I can get extra lessons on Global Warming and a lecture about who to vote for. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post