SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mr. Spock and Ambassador Spock clarification, please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mr. Spock and Ambassador Spock clarification, please? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Must have skipped a bit and need help.

Just watched "Beyond" and while I remember both Young Spock and Old (Ambassador) Spock existing at the same time by some extraordinary glitch, I can´t understand how Old Spock could leave Young Spock a pictorial memento of the original crew.

Are them from different time continuums/paralel worlds?

Puzzled.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think STD ("Beyond") takes place in the JJTrek/Kelvin Timeline universe. Meaning, when JJ made the 2009 "Star Trek" movie, he split the timeline, so that events in that timeline are distinct and separate from that of the real Star Trek (Original, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager). I'm not 100% certain of this, since I will never see STD but from the snippets I've seen, they have the weird Klingons and the same cheesy sound effects from their phasers as the 2009 films.

Assuming I'm not just talking out of my butt, "Ambassador Spock" was from the Prime Universe (I think they call him Spock Prime, meaning he is from the original timeline). Mr Spock, the young one, met Spock Prime in the 2009 movie, since Spock Prime somehow made the jump from the Prime timeline into the Kelvin Timeline.

Yeah, I know, it's confusing.

So, if Spock Prime had a photo of the original crew, he had to have brought it with him on the Jellyfish (or whatever his weird Red Matter ship was called) when he passed from the Prime to the Kelvin Timeline.

So, they aren't 'parallel worlds,' but they are separate timelines. They explained in the 2009 movie that when the Kelvin encountered Nero's ship, the timeline was split. The original timeline continued, but the Kelvin Timeline was born. This is the only way there can be 'two Spocks.'

Now, if Discovery is in the Prime timeline, then I have no idea. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That sounds about right. ^

I recall that bald-Hulk's giant pointy ship emerges from some wormhole-y thing in the 2009 film, and in Hulk's/Nero's dialogue with Captain Robeau (the black one), it is implied that they at least time traveled to the Kelvin's destination/time because they asked Captain Robeau what the current stardate was...

And, there's also a scene between Nero and Captain Pike where they vaguely imply time travel / parallel universes / alternate timelines again because Pike says the Romulan home planet is fine, hasn't been destroyed, and Nero responds that it did happen, and he saw it happen (elsewhere/elsewhen)...

I don't recall any other explanations of how the two Spocks could exist at the same time / same place.

Also, Romulans in the JJ-verse look like White and Hispanic Mike Tysons, bald and tribal face tattoos but otherwise human, basically. (laughs)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Now STD takes place 10 yrs before the original series, so that would be right around the time that the 2009 film had young "kirk" driving the '66 Vette off the cliff. . .

I don't know how they could show 2 Spocks in STD, then, since STD takes place years before Spock Prime arrives in the Kelvin Timeline. Inless they do a 'flash forward.' . .

This is YET ANOTHER reason I hate prequels. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I grew up watching ST (tv broadcast was B&W back then). Enjoyed almost all of the spin off but the lady capt.

The JJ Abrams stuff i can't stomach. Gave the first one a shot at the theater and hated it, following ones tried on DVD but they put me to sleep within the first 5'.

I like the casting of the crew. Even Kirk, who was always an asshole of universal proportions. Perfect match. My favourite is Bones.

Thanks for the explanation. Hadn't figured the plot twist to squeeze in rhe future productions.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like them all, including the newer films and their casting.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
So, if Spock Prime had a photo of the original crew, he had to have brought it with him on the Jellyfish (or whatever his weird Red Matter ship was called) when he passed from the Prime to the Kelvin Timeline.

Yes, he could have, but would he, knowing how much he abhors such pointless human sentimentality? Given the urgency of his mission at the time, he probably didn't even have time to pack a fresh pair of undies, let alone a photo of his old crew.

It was a nice moment for fans, but did not feel true to his character.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It was just a picture. He could have had a digital copy of it in the computer of his ship or maybe even the 24th century version of a thumb drive he kept and just printed a copy.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post