SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Joe Satriani or Empire shows his lack of music knowledge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Satriani or Empire shows his lack of music knowledge Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
How did I not know about this guy and song? Apparently he's awesome and well known. I need to get out more.

Cover (Awesome and I like live stuff done well)

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOEjdzHAlo

Original

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VI57QHL6ge0

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. I only have one of his albums, 'Time Machine'. Forgot I had that in my collection. Going to have to put that in my playlist. His instrumental stuff is really good. He's not the best vocalist, so I had a hard time getting into that part of his music.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
1987 Surfing with the Alien is where it all starts.
Then add Dreaming #11
https://youtu.be/jX5y7wEhukE

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joe Satriani

I saw him years ago when he toured with Steve Vai and Eric Johnson. It was an outstanding show.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Check out his excellent album, The Extremist.
Summer song and crying.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yes. Summer Song. They used that on a commercial years ago and that's when I learned about Joe S.

I also bought the album made during that tour with Steve Vai, etc. Not bad.

Speaking of Steve Vai. Decades ago, wife gets us tickets to Whitesnake for anniversary or something. Steve Vai and Adrian Vandenburg were playing with them on that tour. I was overwhelmed and freaking out. Great Show.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I remember buying Surfing with the Alien back in 1987. Great album.

Glad to hear you discovered him. As they say: Better late than never. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Joe Satriani is my all time favorite Guitarist.
Have every album (or CD to you youngsters ~ no MP3's except what I ripped from the CD).
See every show. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing Joe Satriani perform in Berkeley when he was not known as a super guitar-hero, but a member of The Squares, a poppy New Wave band. They were actually really good at the time, especially since 'the scene" was being over saturated with New Wave bands like The Plimsouls, The Rubinoos, The Knack, etc. I once asked him, while peeing next him in a bathroom at an Elvis Costello concert, if he was going to reunite The Squares and he laughed shaking his head no. He had already came out with Surfing With The Alien by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ-cT2ltm6w

He was also a guitar teacher and taught some well known guys.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn. Smile

I was already generally bored of him by 1990, though I certainly appreciate his skills.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
I can't believe he's 60 years old.

I remember when he used to tour with Stu Hamm. Great shows

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out chickenfoot.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davea:
Check out chickenfoot.

+1

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Damn. Smile

I was already generally bored of him by 1990, though I certainly appreciate his skills.
Yeah I kinda forgot about him too. The posted song is good.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Surfing with the Alien

Satch Boogie

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He was Vai's teacher, too. Definitely amazing skills, like Vai and Malmsteen and the rest. I've just come to enjoy great songs over virtuosity so I eventually stopped following them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
He was Vai's teacher, too. Definitely amazing skills, like Vai and Malmsteen and the rest. I've just come to enjoy great songs over virtuosity so I eventually stopped following them.

I agree. I was/am a huge Buckethead fan but with all of them the song writing takes a back seat to guitar wanking.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have Crystal Planet and it's one of my favorites

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davea:
Check out chickenfoot.

And Buckethead. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post