SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Looming Tower, original series on Hulu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Looming Tower, original series on Hulu Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I saw this a few weeks ago on the recommendation of a friend and thought it was quite good, starring Jeff Daniels as an FBI Counter Intelligence team lead and centered around the interdepartmental failures, bickering, and hoarding of information between (primarily) the FBI and CIA in the immediate run-up to 9/11, with 9/11 itself occurring near the very end of the season. Peter Sarsgaard plays the CIA team lead, and a few other recognizable faces are cast in various roles.

Anyone else see this?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I crushed it over the course of a cold winter week. I thought it was excellent.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I read the book years ago. Didn't know it was a miniseries. Did Jeff Daniels play the FBI Special Agent that retired and took a job as head of security for the Twin Towers?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I read the book years ago. Didn't know it was a miniseries. Did Jeff Daniels play the FBI Special Agent that retired and took a job as head of security for the Twin Towers?

Yep.

I didn't realize there was a book.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The book is not a novel or novelization of 9/11. It is a thorough, accurate and insightful explanation of the rise of Islamic extremism and terrorism. A must-read for anyone who wants to know what our enemy is doing and why.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Yep, excellent series. Shows how screwed up the FBI and CIA have been for a while now, along with how screwed up Clinton's and Bush II's administrations were. Yep nothing but experienced politicans and DC insiders screwing over the country. After watching it, I have to wonder if Condi Rice is some way related to Susan Rice.

At least now the FBI, CIA, and State Department are working together, trying to destabilize the duly elected President.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The book is not a novel or novelization of 9/11. It is a thorough, accurate and insightful explanation of the rise of Islamic extremism and terrorism. A must-read for anyone who wants to know what our enemy is doing and why.

I read Ghost Wars first then Looming Tower. A great 1-2 combo on the events lead up to 9/11.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting. I don't recall having heard that before. Thanks.

I looked up the author, from Dallas, graduate of Tulane, and he won the Pulitzer for non-fiction with that book. I'll definitely check it out.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Interesting. I don't recall having heard that before. Thanks.

I looked up the author, from Dallas, graduate of Tulane, and he won the Pulitzer for non-fiction with that book. I'll definitely check it out.

It's a retelling of the 9-11 Report made more readable. Riveting.

Example: Richard Clark: "Let's shoot a few Tomahawks at the camp in the Afgan desert where OBL is and scorch his ass" Generals: "Do you have any idea how much those things cost? We won't use them to blow up a few tents!"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post