SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Back To The Future Sequels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back To The Future Sequels Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Night-before-last my wife announced she found a movie to watch: "Back To The Future." Apparently she'd never seen it before. Was never one of my favorites, but what the heck.

It was enjoyable enough. So we decided to watch Back To The Future 2 last night.

Holy smokes, what a loser. Wasn't even remotely funny or the least bit engaging. There were previews of BTTF 3. It looked like it'd be even worse. We removed it from our list.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Agreed that BTTF#2 was total crap; but #3 had many elements of humor in it (using 1880s makeshift technology for a 1980s requirement). The continuous “running joke” about manure had a good ending (even if they did use spinach balls for road apples!).

Give it a second look; #3 equals #1 in quality.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You should just hold your nose and finish the trilogy. I seem to remember the 2nd one was the weak one.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Very well, based on all y'all's feedback, we'll give #3 a try tonight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree #2 was the worst of them all. Kind of a dark-bleak movie for a comedy.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I find a lot of second movies in trilogies are the worst. I think a lot of writers and directors use the second movie just to set up the third.

I don’t think Back To The Future 3 is as good as 1, but it’s way better than 2 and worth watching if only to finish the story.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
2 and 3 are trash. Just stick to the original and leave it at that.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I watched 2 and 3 a couple months ago for the first time. Not as bad as I expected, but not particularly good. The "movie universe" certainly would have been better off without them. Myself and the original film are diminished for having seen them. Big Grin

Without watching them, I would have guessed 3 would be worse than 2, but it was better.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the trilogy, I don’t think any are garbage.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
3 is fun. 2 is by far the worst and as was said kinda dark.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hoverboards. We all wanted one. I love the first future scenes in 2. My favorite part of the series.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ok, so... We just finished watching Three. Two was definitely the worst, but Three wasn't so great, either.

Advice to others: As someone up-thread wrote: Stop with the original. Three is marginally tolerable, but won't make sense w/o first watching Two, and Three isn't good enough to make it worth suffering through Two.

posted Hide Post
Hi all!
I thought 3 was great, but then I'm partial to westerns! I saw 1, then 3 without seeing 2 and it didn't really bother me. I agree, 2 was weak, when I finally did see it many years later.

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've been considering introducing my 10 year old son to them just so he can see why someone decided to name a handle-less Segway a "hoverboard." I remember when 2015 hit there were memes saying "Where's my hoverboard!"

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
2 was garbage. I actually find 3 to be my favorite of the bunch. I will never willingly watch 2 again (wife had it on this past weekend, and I was reminded of just how bad it was). . .

It is interesting for the historical significance, though. It was made in the late 1980s, depicting the year 2015. They had something like "Google Glass" where they answered phone calls, but missed it with the food 'synthesizer' thing where they put in a disk 3" big and out pops a fully cooked (Pizza Hut) pizza 10 seconds later. They also had home fax machines. I found that part funny. But, as a movie, it plain sucked.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post