SIGforum
Gettysburg, book

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6070039244

June 11, 2018, 08:38 AM
rtquig
Gettysburg, book
Can anyone recommend a good Gettysburg book? I saw 3 on Amazon, hard to choose. I would like a known author if possible.
Thanks guys.

Living the Dream
June 11, 2018, 08:55 AM
IndyRob
Novel or Historical?
June 11, 2018, 08:59 AM
squint
"Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara
June 11, 2018, 09:06 AM
IndyRob
Stars in Their Courses: The Gettysburg Campaign, June-July 1863

June 11, 2018, 10:12 AM
f2
I like Bruce Catton: Gettysburg: The Final Fury.
June 11, 2018, 10:45 AM
IndyRob
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I like Bruce Catton: Gettysburg: The Final Fury.

This would be my second choice for a nonfiction historical book.
June 11, 2018, 10:49 AM
2000Z-71
quote:
Originally posted by squint:

I'll second this one, it's not long but interesting. It used tone required reading for all US Army military intelligence officers.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
June 11, 2018, 12:54 PM
bayouman
Shelby Foote's book is the best. I have read both his and Bruce Catton's book.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.
June 11, 2018, 02:37 PM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
Novel or Historical?

Historical.
Thanks for the replies.

Living the Dream
June 11, 2018, 03:32 PM
squint
Thanks to this discussion I just ordered Shelby Foote's book.
June 11, 2018, 04:22 PM
mrbill345
I've lost track on how many I've read. I seem to get something different from each.
Anything by Shelby Foote
Gettysburg - Stephen W. Sears
Hallowed Ground - James M. McPherson
Gettysburg, The Last Invasion - Allen Guelzo
Gettysburg, A Testing of Courage - Noah Andre Trudeau

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”
June 11, 2018, 10:50 PM
sjtill
Ed Bearss is a legendary NPS historian who for decades has led must-be-there walking tours of Gettyburg. I missed the opportunity for one when working in Virginia, and I really regret it.
He has written a book covering Vicksburg and Gettysburg, called Receding Tide. It's very well reviewed on Amazon--but don't buy the Kindle as per one reviewer you can't read the maps.

June 12, 2018, 09:59 AM
mesabi
I've read all the books mentioned. Sharra's and Footes' books are okay if you want to be entertained. I consider Guelzo's to be a benchmark. He is (or was) a history professor in Gettysburg, and his knowledge of the terrain and its influence on military tactics shows.

If you're going to read just one, read Guelzo's.
June 17, 2018, 07:26 AM
Bushrod
"One Continuos Fight" by P.Wittenberg, D.Petruzzi, and M.Nugent. This book covers Lee's retreat from Gettysburg. It's balanced and detailed, and explains how the ANVa "got away".
June 17, 2018, 10:14 AM
lowflash
Long considered the bible, The Gettysburg Campaign A Study in Command by Edwin B Coddington. In my personal library I have thirty and some odd books on the subject of Gettysburg. One recent book questions conventional wisdom: Barksdale Charge The True High Tide of the Confederacy at Gettysburg July 2,1863.
June 17, 2018, 09:18 PM
83v45magna
quote:
Originally posted by squint:

Absolutely. Most excellent.

A mix of accurate strategy/tactics along with various specific individual traits that create real guidance and effects in the course of unfolding events.

Shelby Foote could really communicate what it was to be a southerner at that time. But he told it all very well from both perspectives.

I cannot believe how good this book was, mainly because it was required reading for a history course. I lent it to my two best friends and it is, to date, the only book purchased at a college bookstore that I ever did that with. They loved it as much as I did.
July 17, 2018, 03:04 PM
f2
quote:
reading this now. Excellent!
July 21, 2018, 01:46 PM
f2
I am really liking Shelby Foote. What should I read next from him?
July 22, 2018, 04:50 AM
sourdough44
In our house it was ‘The Killer Angels’. When people are going to visit Gettysburg and are short on time, I suggest the movie ‘Gettysburg’ with Sam Elliot and Jeff Daniels.
August 13, 2018, 09:43 AM
f2
Finished Stars in Their Courses, and just finished Killing Angels yesterday. Has anyone walked Longstreet's long march?

if you follow this bing image search: longstreet's long march, there's some great shots.