SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Strategic Air Command
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strategic Air Command Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted
I have never watched this before, and I'm floored at how many B-36s there are in this thing!!!! I had no idea they ever had that many in service.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14304 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they were in service just a short time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4019 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had no idea they ever had that many in service.

NRA Benefactor / Certified RSO / Certified AR-15/M-16 & SIG Pistol Armorer

Posts: 15147 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked kind of cramped.

Posts: 225 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p226gsd:
Looked kind of cramped.

They were roomy to crews coming up from -29 and -17's. And pressurized as well.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Looked kind of cramped.

They were roomy to crews coming up from -29 and -17's. And pressurized as well.

There's a B-17 partly restored at a museum a little ways from where I live. Last time I was there they had volunteers manning some of the display aircraft. I stepped inside the B-17 and spent about half an hour talking to the guy on duty there, he had flown in them during the war. It was a very interesting conversation. And yes, they are very cramped inside. I decided they had to have used pretty wide angle lenses when they shot those scenes for Twelve O'Clock High and other movies.

Posts: 4672 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looked kind of cramped.

Posts: 13805 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
That's a cool picture

I believe the plane at top isn't a c-47 though

I think it's a Boeing B-9

I forget where I saw this, maybe Facebook, but someone else was talking about this picture and pointed that out

It definitely looks like a gooney bird

Posts: 6212 | Location: Bristow, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
That's a cool picture

I believe the plane at top isn't a c-47 though

I think it's a Boeing B-9

I forget where I saw this, maybe Facebook, but someone else was talking about this picture and pointed that out

It definitely looks like a gooney bird

It's not a B-9 (which I had never heard of until now), but it's just doesn't look like a C-47. B-9 info:

http://www.boeing.com/history/...ucts/b-9-bomber.page

Here the same shot with better resolution, it doesn't look like a C-47 I but sure can't tell you what it is.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...8570501o0&ajaxhist=0

Posts: 11612 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16929 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
LOL. That poor Tweet surrounded by all of that!

----------------------------------
This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 957 | Location: Way south Texas | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Oh, and about cramped - I got a chance to climb around inside a B-17 once. I tried to get a look through the top turret gunner's turret but my shoulders could not fit past the circular turret ring. Damn. I hear the ball turret gunners had to be even smaller guys!

----------------------------------
This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 957 | Location: Way south Texas | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue, awesome photo. I asked some knowledgeable people and they concluded 1958.

Posts: 11612 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a vague recollection of that movie. Towards the end, IIRC, they started flying B-47s.

I feel for the guys who had to maintain the B-36. Can you imagine changing 336 spark plugs in winter in Newfoundland? Eek

Posts: 17571 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It looks like the small twin-engine aircraft in with that group of better-known Boeing bombers is the B-18 Bolo.

B-18 page

quote:
The twin-engine B-18 Bolo was the first Douglas medium bomber. It was a combat version of the DC-2 commercial transport, absorbed punishment well and was especially useful during the early days of World War II.

The prototype (Douglas Bomber 1, or DB-1), finished in 1935, was designed around the DC-2's wings, but had a deeper and fatter fuselage with a bomb bay under its center section. The single DB-1 later was used to test the firing of large cannons from an aircraft.

Douglas produced 370 of the production model B-18 Bolos, and their availability during the late 1930s allowed the Air Corps to train bomber crews. The B-18 Bolos made up most of the bombers deployed outside the country as the United States entered World War II.

B-18 Bolos were used for antisubmarine operations in American and Caribbean waters and as trainers and transports. Twenty served as general reconnaissance bombers with the Royal Canadian Air Force as Digby Mk1s.

The twin-engine B-18 Bolo was the first Douglas medium bomber. It was a combat version of the DC-2 commercial transport, absorbed punishment well and was especially useful during the early days of World War II.

The prototype (Douglas Bomber 1, or DB-1), finished in 1935, was designed around the DC-2's wings, but had a deeper and fatter fuselage with a bomb bay under its center section. The single DB-1 later was used to test the firing of large cannons from an aircraft.

Douglas produced 370 of the production model B-18 Bolos, and their availability during the late 1930s allowed the Air Corps to train bomber crews. The B-18 Bolos made up most of the bombers deployed outside the country as the United States entered World War II.

B-18 Bolos were used for antisubmarine operations in American and Caribbean waters and as trainers and transports. Twenty served as general reconnaissance bombers with the Royal Canadian Air Force as Digby Mk1s.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Waikapu Ahupua'a | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
It looks like the small twin-engine aircraft in with that group of better-known Boeing bombers is the B-18 Bolo.

That would make sense. I've seen that photo before, captioned "B-100".

(36+29+18+17=100)

Posts: 16929 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Rogue, somewhere I have a copy of the picture of the aircraft arrayed on the ramp that you posted above. I think it's torn out of an old Popular Mechanics from the 50's.

At one time when I was actively building models, i was trying to recreate that picture in 1/72 scale. Never got terribly far.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Same pic, different angle.

Slightly larger version.

Sharper

Posts: 13805 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I did not realize the B17 was that big compared to the B29.

Posts: 5501 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
It might be a B-18, going by the shape of the tail it could be a B-23 Dragon, too.

Posts: 10454 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post