SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    She said that if Markinson doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. She said I could be Markinson and you wouldn't know it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

She said that if Markinson doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. She said I could be Markinson and you wouldn't know it. Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
Are you Markinson?

No.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
"Oh, you strenuously object. Is that how it's done?"

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
You dont need to wear a uniform to have honor.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What a relief. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the liar-liar-pants-on-fire defense.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no responsibilities here whatsoever.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yardarm? Sherby does the Navy still hang people from yardarms?

I don't think so

Dave, Sherby doesn't think the Navy hangs people from yardarms anymore.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid movie. I don't know how realistic it was in an actual UCMJ standpoint but it was well-acted.

Movie trivia - I seem to recall reading Demi Moore was pregnant during the filming... she was a not hard to look at back then that's for sure ...

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The witness is excused.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've always been inclined to argue that Jessup was the true hero of that film, which was a very well written tragedy.

Thoughts?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I've always been inclined to argue that Jessup was the true hero of that film, which was a very well written tragedy.

Thoughts?

He did the wrong thing for the right reasons. It really wasn't his fault that the dead guy had a rare undiagnosed medical condition. Every other Marine on that base would have been fine. Of course, that medical condition lead the dead guy to having all his physical performance problems. Not really Jessup's fault, but he WAS responsible for his death. And the military tries, at least, to hold people responsible for their actions. And, the Code Red WAS an illegal order. So, Jessup did violate orders. That's why Kevin Bacon said he had to go arrest Kiefer Sutherland - because he carried out the illegal order.

Also, it negatively portrays the Marines. The 'good guy' (Cruise) is the black sheep character that doesn't really fit in with all the other 'military' guys. And the two Marines on charge are idiots. The black guy is slow and is portrayed as excessively hung up on his whole "Duty/Honor/Country" mantra, while the skinny white guy is a low-functioning retard. He has to have everything explained to him. He doesn't understand why he is even imprisoned. They mentioned that he wanted comic books to read in jail. The real 'hard-charging' Marines are the bad guys - Jessup and Kiefer. They are educated and uphold the traditional military image, but are responsible for Santiago's death.

I didn't catch this at the time, but I read something that pointed all this out. Still a great movie, IMO. It has some of the best quotable lines in cinematic history - that "Stand on a wall" speech is epic. And, IIRC, in the opening bit where Demi's chest walked past the rifle squad, that rifle routine was performed by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid!

The number of times that line goes through my head at work each day is astonishing.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
You're a lousy fucking softball player, Jack!

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Love the scene where he first has lunch with Jessup.

"I can deal with the bullets and the bombs and the blood. I don't want money and I don't want medals but what I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform and, with your Harvard mouth, extend me some fucking courtesy. You've gotta ask me nicely."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Thoughts?

He did the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Sounds about right.

quote:
And, the Code Red WAS an illegal order. So, Jessup did violate orders. That's why Kevin Bacon said he had to go arrest Kiefer Sutherland - because he carried out the illegal order.

I thought he was going to arrest Kiefer for perjury. Or did he specify beyond, "I have to go arrest Kendrick"?

quote:
Also, it negatively portrays the Marines.

No kidding, but remember, it was a play and playwrights are almost universally libtards.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
And, the Code Red WAS an illegal order. So, Jessup did violate orders. That's why Kevin Bacon said he had to go arrest Kiefer Sutherland - because he carried out the illegal order.

I thought he was going to arrest Kiefer for perjury. Or did he specify beyond, "I have to go arrest Kendrick"?

-Rob

I always assumed he was going to arrest him for perjury as well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I always assumed he was going to arrest him for perjury as well.

I suppose the perjury charge is what they were shooting for. He would still be on the hook for executing an illegal order, though. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
"And the hits just keep ooooon comin'..."

Well technically Kendrick didn't order the code red.....Jessup did, so Kendrick could probably dodge a perjury charge. So the only thing I can surmise is that they're going after Kendrick for obstruction of justice, conduct unbecoming (following an illegal order as Hound Dog pointed out), or some such other charge. But.....IANAL.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I am a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy... And you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post