SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Attack on Titan - Japanese animated series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attack on Titan - Japanese animated series Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I've never watched an animated show like this. I read that it was called Japanese Manga style.

There's 4 seasons and a lot of episodes. Once you get past the long intro and ending sequences, the show flies by.

I've actually been enjoying it far more than I would have expected. My wife hates it though.

Reminds me of Game of Thrones. People living behind a wall and then the giants they are keeping out break through them.

It's on Hulu.

Anyone else watch it?

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think season 4 just came out? I watched seasons 1-3 quite a while back. Definitely a strange one.
Will have to start S4 soon.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
It is good. Hulu has all the seasons on it and each week are releasing the new season 4 episode. Pretty complex, dark but well animated, deep story and character development. My daughter got me watching with her and we both enjoy.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ll check it out. My most recent anime was Demon Slayer. Seems pretty popular in Japan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My kids pulled me into AOT and now I can't get out. We also watched Soul Eater, and as new episodes come out, Demon Slayer and Bungo Stray Dogs are also in the lineup. The only way to watch anime is in Japanese with English subs.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've only seen season 1 and thought it was really good. I don't have Hulu.

Death Note was good, too.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Free here https://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I need to catch up. I've only seen the first two seasons.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
4 espiodes into S4 & wow this is a confusing season. Finally starting to make some sense.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I've never watched an animated show like this. I read that it was called Japanese Manga style.

Close. This style of Japanese animation is known as anime.

"Manga" is a form of Japanese comic book. This animated TV show is based on the Attack on Titan manga. (Kinda like how the Batman movies and TV shows are based on the Batman comic book.)

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The only way to watch anime is in Japanese with English subs.

I'll agree, with one caveat: There are the occasional big budget anime movies that are professionally adapted and dubbed into English where the dubs are very well done, and they put an immense amount of research and effort into doing the dubs right.

For example, some of the Ghibli films (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.), and a few others like Steamboy.

But very well done, high quality dubs like that are certainly the minority by a large margin. So 99% of the time, subtitled is definitely the way to go. Especially for TV shows.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Do you even need a reason to watch more Evangelion?

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
There are times where it has some Evangelion feel to it.

posted Hide Post
The more I watch AoT, I just want everyone to get eaten except Misaka. She at least has mental fortitude. I just have a hard time abandoning series. FoMO I guess.

I watch the dub on Funimation. It’s during treadmill time, reading/running just ain’t mixing there.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonGlock26
posted Hide Post
AOT was the first anime that I watched at my son's insistence. It turned out to be pretty entertaining.

If you like AOT, there are other anime out there that you may like:

Death Note- Excellent supernatural crime thriller- lots of suspense.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood- supernatural action

Blade of the Immortal- Samurai cursed to not die until he fulfils his mission. (Amazon Prime)

Berserk- Grim Dark fantasy (Adult)

Claymore- Demon Slayers vs Demons

Hajime no Ippo- sport boxing

Vinland Saga- Vikings

Fate/Zero- fantasy

One Punch Man- Superman but a bit of a slacker

Demon Slayer- Demon hunting to save sister

Jormungand- mercs with Sig SP2022's

Cowboy BeeBop- Space bounty hunter

Psycho Pass- Sci-Fi cops

Goblin Slayer- Fantasy (Adult- Goblins rape victims)

Parasyte- sci fi horror with aliens

Drifters- fantasy

Hellsing Ultimate- Vampires with guns

Jojo bizarre adventure- Strange at times but entertaining

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum

Posts: 1197 | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definite +1 for Cowboy Bebop!
I remember watching Full Metal Alchemist years ago, but don't remember much about it.

posted Hide Post
If you like Cowboy Bebop, check Shinichiro Watanabe’s other work:
Samurai Champloo
Kids on the Slope
Carole & Tuesday

And some others, though the above list I’ve seen. He is mostly known for his use of music in any series he directs. I really recommend KotS for jazz lovers.

Recently, Millionaire Detective: Balance Unlimited was pretty enjoyable.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
10 episodes in on S4 of AoT.
Still a confusing season, compared to the pretty cohesive 1-3.
The last pretty episodes were pretty insane.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Still incredibly confusing what has happened during the time skip. I'm about halfway through this season so far.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
'Caught up' today. Looks like there's a final episode with a TBD air date.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3 new episodes on Hulu. Still 3 to go, looking at the wiki.

I think I'll rewstch it from the start, as S4 has been much more confusing than the prior 3. The gaps between episode releases doesn't help.