SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert: Shane
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert: Shane Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Shane will be shown on TCM at 1800 MDT. It's my absolute favorite Western, and one of my favorite movies of any genre. I think director, George Stevens did a masterful job with this movie--it's the little things, and there were so many. I love talking about this movie.

The cinematographer was a man named Loyal Griggs, and the brilliant work he did amounts to a whole lot more than the scenic beauty of the Snake River Valley in Jackson Hole.

If you like Westerns and haven't seen Shane, well...here's your chance to remedy that.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that movie and have seen it a lot of times.

After seeing it a few times, I wanted to read the book. I went to the library and was told I would find it in the Children's section..

Still a great movie.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I love that movie and have seen it a lot of times.

After seeing it a few times, I wanted to read the book. I went to the library and was told I would find it in the Children's section..

Still a great movie.

Jack Schaefer also wrote "Monte Walsh," which happens to be my favorite Western novel Big Grin

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Prove it"!
Jack Palance was great, as was the entire cast.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and the writer was from OHIO

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Shane, the movie ending that made Al Bundy cry.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. Where everyone wishes that they could ride-out a hero, and be missed by just one person, that they leave behind.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book was a great book, and I actually liked it better than the movie. Admittedly, I read it while a youngster but there's no reason an adult shouldn't enjoy it, notwithstanding being written from the kid's point of view. It lends to the mystery and wonderment of the hero, Shane.

The only downside to the book is that, like watching Stagecoach, there is so much that has since become stereotypical due to constant repetition in subsequent books and movies. You have to remember that they were original, when you read it.

A friend of mine, a voracious reader in his 50's, told me several years ago that he had just finished a good audiobook and suggested I would like it. The book was Shane.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It's been quite awhile since I read the book. I have re-read "Monte Walsh" at least three times, but (I think) "Shane" only once. I've got it in my bookcase; guess I'll have to put it in line.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
A true western classic.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post