SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pairs Figure Skating--Just Call me a SNAG*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pairs Figure Skating--Just Call me a SNAG* Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
*Sensitive New Age Guy

Here's a pairs performance in the European Championships this year to Disturbed's version of "Sound of Silence." It's nice to watch a performance like this and hear only the music, the blades on the ice, and crowd reaction--no inane commentator feeling the need to fill every second.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nailed it!

That was fantastic, thanks for posting. It kind of put a lump in my throat watching the relief and the joy they had for themselves. All of that hard work paid off.

Great way to start my day.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Wow, this only got them 3rd place?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Yeah, I guess so. I looked, and the two of them skated the same program at the World Team Championships in Tokyo this year, and won the Pairs Free competition.

It seemed to me that the Winter Olympics was coming up, and it is, in Peongchang, South Korea. Hope the little dick in the PRNK quiets down. Also hope James and Cipres skates the same program in the Olympics; I just think it's a neat song to skate to.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Very nice. The Sounds of Silence is just icing on the cake to their wonderful performance.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:

There were mistakes. If my untrained eye saw them I'm sure the judges saw more.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Would've been even better without the music. Figure skating is a rather trying event, taking a lot of skill, coordination and strength. It may not be a "manly" sport but it does take a lot.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
Would've been even better without the music.
That's an interesting perspective. You think figure skaters should go out there and just skate and jump around, rather than interpret a piece of music?

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:

There were mistakes. If my untrained eye saw them I'm sure the judges saw more.

It hurts not to watch the winners. The differences are slight, but at that level, that's what it takes.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks Henry. They were very proficient

The Constable
posted Hide Post
ALL of You....Hand in Your Man Cards.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
ALL of You....Hand in Your Man Cards.

No.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
That's an interesting perspective. You think figure skaters should go out there and just skate and jump around, rather than interpret a piece of music?

Definitely not, I just can't stand that song in particular.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Definitely not, I just can't stand that song in particular.

So, you'd like to hear the sound of silence?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
It was nice not having to listen to dick buttons telling me every little thing they do and didn't do.

The Olympic skating will be unwatchable with Jonnie Weir announcing. Ugh.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm going to have to pay more attention to figure skating I guess. That was amazing. The work ethic and athleticism needed to perfect that performance is mind blowing.

Thanks for posting that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just watched the top three finishers' performances. There is a definite higher level of execution by the Russians, but Vanessa and Morgan's Death Spiral was by far the best highlight of their routine.

Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
The athleticism of the modern figure skaters is amazing. Speed,strength and agility combined.Thanks for the post.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post