SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wolverine and the X Men Origins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolverine and the X Men Origins Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Can anyone explain to me this crap show origin story of Wolverine? I watched it last night on HBO, and none of the movie made any sense for what little I know about the X-Men universe. I watched it mainly because I read it was the first appearance of Deadpool in the universe. WTF? Retractable swords?

Wade Wilson was the mutant killer? This completely goes against the Deadpool origin story. Deadpool wasn't even believable. I much prefer the Deadpool of the stand alone origin story.

Yeah, I am a big fan of Deadpool. He's not nearly as whiny as most of the others in the Marvel universe.

Thoughts?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
That movie was horrible and pretty much put the kibosh on the Origin stories.

The next 2 Wolvering movies are really well done.

The Wolverine and Logan are well worth the watch.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I liked seeing Gambit and the Blob in the main story and the cameos of the soon-to-be-X-Men at the end of the movie, but that was it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That opening set of vignettes where Logan and Victor are running through the various wars progressing through history is pretty awesome, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The actual origin of Wolverine is consistent with the comics.

Overall, I thought the movie was ok. But yeah, they seriously f'd up when it came to Deadpool.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That opening set of vignettes where Logan and Victor are running through the various wars progressing through history is pretty awesome, though.

I did like that. It's the only scene that comes to mind when I think of that movie.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There are so many different time lines and stories with these movies, none of them have any consistency any more. The last Xmen really sucked, and I didn't think Logan was all that great.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
There are so many different time lines and stories with these movies, none of them have any consistency any more. The last Xmen really sucked, and I didn't think Logan was all that great.

Logan was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:

My two favorite X-Men movies right there.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ryan Reynolds has said that they implied he'd never be allowed to make a Deadpool movie unless he did the Origins movie first. It's what he was talking about when he made fun about fondling a set of balls on someone who's name rhymes with Pullverine at the beginning of the Deadpool movie. The first Wolverine movie wasn't what it should've been but it had enough redeeming moments in it to be enjoyable IMO. Liev Schroeder was great as Victor.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Liev Schreiber.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this one has a long story about studio interference.

The first half of the movie isn't terrible but apparently the 2nd half was just noted to death.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Kayla was in it and that’s about all that was redeeming. Well her sister too. They should have made a whole film about them two and I wouldn’t have complained.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Ryan Reynolds did an interview where he said one of the major driving forces for him to make deadpool was because of how they screwed him in the xmen movie.

Apparently he lobbied hard for the part, one of his ideal roles, and then they muted him and gave him an insignificant part. So he started the whole deadpool movement.

We pretty much have him to thank for the real deadpool coming to the screen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
That movie was horrible and pretty much put the kibosh on the Origin stories.

The next 2 Wolvering movies are really well done.

While it didn't do Deadpool (both the character and later movie) any justice... I thought the opposite.

I thought the next Wolverine movie (with the Japanese guy) was nearly unwatchable, and just last week, watched Logan. I found it completely awful.

Textbook example of a franchise done by the seat of their pants.

If you want to actually have a "franchise" set of movies... actually plan out the long term story line, at least in outline form...

They have screwed it up so bad, it is nearly ready to die...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Logan was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Really? TO each their own, and I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was an absolute abortion.

I nearly considered driving to Hollywood with bottles filled with gasoline and rioting until I got my money back.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

While it didn't do Deadpool (both the character and later movie) any justice... I thought the opposite.

I thought the next Wolverine movie (with the Japanese guy) was nearly unwatchable, and just last week, watched Logan. I found it completely awful.

Textbook example of a franchise done by the seat of their pants.

If you want to actually have a "franchise" set of movies... actually plan out the long term story line, at least in outline form...

They have screwed it up so bad, it is nearly ready to die...

It is dead. Jackman is done with the character and if they are going to use a different actor for Wolverine in any future movies, they will have to be reboots of the entire X-Men story line.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Liev Schreiber.

Yeah that, auto correct wins again.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
There are two time lines in the X-Men universe... the Logan story doesn't happen in the same time line as the two previous Wolverine movies... it happens in the alternative timeline that is created when Logan time travels back to the 70's in Xmen : Days of Futures Past. It's confusing as all hell.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the timelines are goofy. I think they started with Primer, then improvised:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post