SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1973 Americans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1973 Americans Login/Join 
posted
I don’t think I’ve heard this on the air since the original air date.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZAMAch_jBnU

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I remember that and like you I have not heard that in ages. Thanks for posting it.

As I was trying to remember the last time I heard it a name popped up out of a dusty box in my brain. It's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I have what he wrote on a printed card, which I have had since the 1970's.

That name is Dean Alfange and here is what he wrote at the bottom paragraph.

Alfange is remembered for a short statement he wrote in the 1950s entitled "An American's Creed" or simply "My Creed". The creed originally appeared in This Week magazine, and a condensed version appeared in Reader's Digest in both the October 1952 and January 1954 issues.[16] The Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge gave Alfange an award for the composition in 1952.[1]

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek to develop whatever talents God gave me—not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say – 'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."

Let me add this, May God continue to Bless the USA, our Founding Fathers and the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who have fought and paid the ultimate price for our Freedom and Liberty. May we always remember and revere as well as preserve and persevere to keep America great.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks OKCGene for posting Mr. Alfange’s (and yours)thoughts. Boy, we could use a good dose of those thoughts and beliefs nowadays. Thanks again.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post