SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Original Top Gun in Dolby Cinema
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Top Gun in Dolby Cinema Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I rented the new 4k disc for Top Gun yesterday. It’s remastered in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (Dolby Cinema). They did the best they could with the 34 year old film. Very grainy at times but overall a decent improvement in PQ. DV helped the blacks. Atmos soundtrack was decent. The overhead channels and panning was solid. Got a nice LFE improvement as well. For being such an old film they did what they could with remastering the film. Worthy of buying if like the movie. Obviously newer titles get full benefits of the increased resolution especially native material. But this was an improvement overall and the best release of the film to date.

It was nice seeing the Tomcats fly again with a nice LFE upgrade. Surround sound during in flight sequences was also excellent. At $20 on Amazon Worth it. They released this in preparation of the sequel.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it make the homoerotic beach volleyball scene look extra oily? Smile

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I just went through a review on The Digital Bits website. They really love this release. For all the reasons listed above and more. Good to see they did such a good job. One thing the article mentioned was how bad this makes a TopGun BluRay released in 2008 look and sound. How the advances made since just 11-12 years are so amazing.

I have always wanted one of these releases to include some of the theatrical trailers (which they mention in the review) or the late summer 1985 short theatrical teaser that used Stranger Eyes from The Cars. Just flight deck ops if I recall correctly. That one hooked me and my circle of friends but good. I always imagined that they dicked up the permissions for the Cars song and were barred from using it.

This copy is a longer version that has definitely not seen a resto.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4P357-OyUvI

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Cant wait to see the new movie.

For those of you who have seen the trailer for Top Gun: Maverick, here is some interesting info on the P-51 that appears in it:

https://www.avgeekery.com/movi...in-top-gun-maverick/

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I picked it up (ok it was pre-ordered Wink and I truly enjoyed it. I think some of these movies did not merge well onto BluRay, but with the 4k versions they are actually rescanning the original film negatives. The colors pop, the sound is great.

Now the 3D version from a few years ago, it is lost in the media closet never to be watched again.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Grabbed the 4k version. I was expecting a bit more on the lows but the audio is overall very clear and decent surround effect.

Picture quality is ok. I wasn't impressed the same way I was when I watched the E.T. 4K upgrade, but still good.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Grabbed the 4k version. I was expecting a bit more on the lows but the audio is overall very clear and decent surround effect.

Picture quality is ok. I wasn't impressed the same way I was when I watched the E.T. 4K upgrade, but still good.

There's not too many lows on a TF-30.

More like a high pitched scream. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I hope to install a new 65" OLED TV and new AV receiver this week along with associated updated wiring plus a couple of Dolby Atmos speakers.

Top Gun would be one of the first movies I'd repurchase along with a few other 4K movies. Sounds like many of my favorites have been redone with 4k. I also want the Wizard of Oz. I understand it is incredible for a 1939 classic.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Regarding the new movie... Remember, in every movie where an old guy is mentoring a younger person, the old guy dies. Will the Cruise character die in this movie?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I hope to install a new 65" OLED TV and new AV receiver this week along with associated updated wiring plus a couple of Dolby Atmos speakers.

Top Gun would be one of the first movies I'd repurchase along with a few other 4K movies. Sounds like many of my favorites have been redone with 4k. I also want the Wizard of Oz. I understand it is incredible for a 1939 classic.

For Atmos and 4k, reference films are Blade Runner 2049, Ready Player One, and Aquaman. All have stellar PQ in 4k, I mean reference material, and the Atmos soundtracks are excellent. Be careful with Blade Runner 2049, that audio soundtrack on 4k disc will rattle every speaker and sub in your room. Sony at its best.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post