SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What is a movie you actually liked but are kind of embarrassed to admit??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a movie you actually liked but are kind of embarrassed to admit?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The trailer for the upcoming Joaquin Phoenix movie got me thinking about other films he is in and really is a Down right good actor.

Thinking about that took me back to High School not sure how the lady friend and I along with another couple ended up at the little artsy theater called The Esquire in Cincinnati as that was not really a spot we frequented.
But we ended up there and watched the movie Quills.

Quills - Trailer

Actually has a pretty good cast, Joaquin Phoenix, Kate Winslet, Michael Cain, and a few others.
Movie takes place in Napoleonic France and this author is locked up in a crazy prison and he writes a pretty sexually graphic novel that takes the area by storm.

It was certainly a bit of a strange movie and not sure I would really ever watch it again but it was pretty good. Worth watching once for sure.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mamma Mia!

Mostly because I like ABBA...and am not ashamed to admit it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Battle: Los Angeles

Aaron Eckhart leads a platoon of Marines as they battle alien invaders in the middle of Los Angeles.

It's surprisingly not cheesy. Actually somewhat gritty and realistic. (Besides the whole "alien invasion" stuff, of course.)

Sort of like Black Hawk Down... with aliens. Only not nearly as good.

I dunno. It's hard to explain. But for some reason, I like it.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Xanadu.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also Mamma Mia!

Tom Hanks in Big. I wanted to hate that movie going in but...nope.

Shawshank Redemption.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky Number Slevin
Logan Lucky

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Not embarrassed about any film I like.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Shawshank Redemption.

I don't understand. Why would anyone be embarassed to like this movie?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ghost Rider
- Yes, I enjoyed it. The sequel, not so much.

Bulletproof Monk
- Cheesy, not the best action/fight sequences, but I like it. *shrug*

The Shadow
- Yes, the one starring Alec Baldwin. I like the character and the movie setting. A little too campy, but enjoyable. I keep hoping they're going to reboot it like Dredd to make it grittier.

Those three I have on DVD.

I could probably come up with a few more if I try.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. A Scifi but also a sappy chickflick. Love the movie enough to lose my man card over it.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Goon.

Silly movie, I don't care for most of the actors in the thing, some I can't stand, but for some reason I've watched it several times the last few years and really enjoy it.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Dirty Dancing.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Lucky Number Slevin
Logan Lucky

I Want to see Logan Lucky and I really enjoyed Lucky Number Slevin.

My embarrassing movie is The Replacements. Love me some Gene Hackman and Keanu.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
The Phantom with Billy Zane.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little Shop Of Horrors.
The musical.
Steve Martin stole it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first saw "Princess Bride", I was embarrassed to admit I liked it, but I guess I was just ahead of the crowd. Now, it's on just about every guy's "like" list.

There was one movie, though: "Space Thing 2069." No more need be said about it, the title tells it all.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Battle: Los Angeles

Aaron Eckhart leads a platoon of Marines as they battle alien invaders in the middle of Los Angeles.

It's surprisingly not cheesy. Actually somewhat gritty and realistic. (Besides the whole "alien invasion" stuff, of course.)

Sort of like Black Hawk Down... with aliens. Only not nearly as good.

I dunno. It's hard to explain. But for some reason, I like it.

I'm with you on this. I thought it would have a cheesy B movie feel, but I think it was well executed if a bit unrealistic in the premise.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Silver linings playbook.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I can’t think of the name of it, but the storyline is that this young guy is a hockey player and he can’t play hockey any more. With great reluctance he agrees to do a tryout with a young woman who apparently goes through pairs figure skating partners like popcorn. As I type this I realize that the plot line is predictable, but I kinda like movies like this. There you go

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lakehouse

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post