New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greenland Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Premise is of a semi-dysfunctional family trying to make it to government survival bunkers before the occurrence of an extinction-level event (a phrase used more than once). The family encounters the best and worst in people as they deal with being separated and dodge city-killing comet frags.

It’s (thankfully) more of a plot-driven movie, vs. just special effects. Acting is good. A bit draggy in parts. Some brief gun-play.

Not worth the $20 I rented it for (someone else paid for it). Maybe worth a viewing at non-release price.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went into this one with low expectations figuring it would be filled with entirely unbelievable actions and CGI, but was pleasantly surprised. I thought both the acting and CGI were good and realistic enough to say "I could see that happening.".

I felt I got my money's worth out of this movie, unlike WW84 were I kept saying "What the ...?".

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, it's got Morena Baccarin. That alone starts it off with a B+ at least.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm....Morena Baccarin. What a doll!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I went into this one with low expectations figuring it would be filled with entirely unbelievable actions and CGI, but was pleasantly surprised. I thought both the acting and CGI were good and realistic enough to say "I could see that happening.".

I felt I got my money's worth out of this movie, unlike WW84 were I kept saying "What the ...?".

I watched it last night (~$2 red box instead of the $20 on-demand rental a couple weeks ago), and I too felt I got my $$'s worth. It was pretty decent all things considered, except...

If the world was going to be wiped out in ~24 hrs, there would be a lot (ALOT!) more chaos going on. And trying to kidnap a child would probably bring out alot more fight from momma.

But overall, yeah...a good version of the story. Towards the end the radio announcer trying to hold it together while explaining what was about to happen (basically the end most life on the planet) was good.

E.L.I. comets along with solar flares are probably one of the most plausible 'how the world would end' possibilities.

FWIW, this might not be the best movie for younger kids.

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I struggled with putting medicine in the kids backpack next to his Nintendo game. Let’s see, end of mankind, let’s put my diabetic supplies in my 8 year olds backpack. Check.

Ok movie. I watched it for free so I got my monies worth.

In a non gay way, not that there’s anything wrong with that, I like Gerard Butler. Pretty much any crap he makes I will watch. PS, I love you, might have stretched that premise. lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I like space rock apocalypse movies, and this is the best one to date (Deep Impact and Armageddon don't hold a candle to Greenland).

The CGI was very good and I liked the science that compared the rogue comet to ʻOumuamua, the first known interstellar object to pass through our solar system. Like ʻOumuamua, the comet came from interstellar space at high velocity which would in reality shorten our warning time as portrayed in the movie. A body coming from our own neighborhood would be moving slower and be a little easier to detect as it most likely moved along the ecliptic. Someone actually did a little homework for a change it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...20on%209%20September.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
It wasn't horrible. Since Hollywood is sticking to America by sitting on last years blockbusters I paid the full price and was reasonably entertained. Not sure if I really liked it or was just happy to see something new.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post