SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    David Niven's lessons from a teacher wearing nothing but stockings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Niven's lessons from a teacher wearing nothing but stockings Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Good photos in the article!

“Nessie, when I first saw her, was 17, honey-blonde, pretty rather than beautiful, the owner of a voluptuous but somehow innocent body and a pair of legs that went on forever. She was a Piccadilly whore…”

https://mol.im/a/8325303

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
A lifetime ago I read his book, it was hilarious!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

Do you recall the title of the book?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

0-0

First one: The Moon's a Balloon

Second: Bring on the Empty Horses

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Apparently, the story of his relationship with Nessie is in the forner of the two.

I haven't done any reading in quite a while. Perhaps I'll buy that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

0-0

First one: The Moon's a Balloon

Second: Bring on the Empty Horses

Read both, back in the day. You can skip the second.

Cazzo gelato! I still remember from 40 years back... Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read both, back in the day. You can skip the second.

Thanks, 0-0! Will do.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say you can skip the second myself, but it's different to the first.

The first is his autobiography, the second is more of a book of anecdotes about the different Hollywood stars that Niven knew and worked with. He doesn't feature as much.

You should also know that there have been some questions about the 'veracity' of both volumes since Niven's death. Specifically about the events that he attributes to himself and whether they are actually things that happened to someone else.

With all that said, they are both immensely entertaining, and there is no doubt, he was a master raconteur, a war hero, and one of the last stars of Hollywood's Golden Age. He knew them all.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've read he took a bit of literary license with his recounting. That's ok. I'm looking more for entertainment than a history lesson Smile

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
In reference to the title of this thread... it sounds like she was one heck of a 'teacher'.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post