SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone Watching "The Crown" On Netflix?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Watching "The Crown" On Netflix? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The wife and I just started watching this and are really enjoying it so far. John Lithgow as Winston Churchill is just amazing and it's interesting to see all the little things that are foreign to us like the husband having to walk behind the wife and all that.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We watched & enjoyed it.
Read something that the next season, they're replacing the entire cast. I guess they're jumping ahead a few years & it's simpler than aging the current cast via makeup/prosthetics.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Read something that the next season, they're replacing the entire cast. I guess they're jumping ahead a few years & it's simpler than aging the current cast via makeup/prosthetics.

Yes, Season 1 was 1947 to 1955, Season 2 was 1955 to 1965

Season 3 will be from 1965 to 1977 or so and Queen Elizabeth will be portrayed by Olivia Colman who was in Broadchurch and I recall her from Hot Fuzz with Simon Pegg. Prince Phillip with be portrayed by Tobias Menzies who was in Outlander and also Rome.

It will be interesting to see who they get for Season 4 which I guessing will be 1977 - 1990? That's when Diana came on the scene too.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Colman was good in the Night Manager as well.
Menzies does a good job in Outlander.

I hadn't seen the castings for S3, so these I can see working well. The S1-2 cast worked really well, so we were cautiously optimistic for the new cast.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Maybe Tacfoley can chime in on this one:

I noticed in the first episode of The Crown that one or two men in Royal Navy(?) dress had only one epaulet (shoulder board) on their uniform.

What does that signify? I've always only seen them in pairs.

RAF Group Captain Townsend, was he considered an Aide-de-camp to King George VI? He wore an aiguillette and seems to be his right hand man.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Yes, Season 1 was 1947 to 1955, Season 2 was 1955 to 1965

Season 3 will be from 1965 to 1977 or so and Queen Elizabeth will be portrayed by Olivia Colman who was in Broadchurch and I recall her from Hot Fuzz with Simon Pegg. Prince Phillip with be portrayed by Tobias Menzies who was in Outlander and also Rome.

It will be interesting to see who they get for Season 4 which I guessing will be 1977 - 1990? That's when Diana came on the scene too.

she was great in Broadchurch ( which sadly will not have a season 4),

looking forward to the new season(s) of the Crown

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good series. Not sure how accurate it is but, this ends up being a huge dinner topic for a number of our older members of the family during dinner as they reminisce about what it was like living during those times. My mother's name is Margaret so she always had an affinity to Princess Margaret...the gal playing her Vanessa Kirby is smokin' hot Eek

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I liked it

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Watched both seasons and enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to S3.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
We liked it. Looking forward to S3. It's amazing to me that she's been Queen longer than I've been alive. Sixty-something years!

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post