SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Warner Brothers to debut all new film releases on HBO Max the same day they hit theaters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warner Brothers to debut all new film releases on HBO Max the same day they hit theaters Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Good news for those of us with HBO Max... Starting with Wonder Woman 1984 on 12/25, all 17 Warner Brothers films planned for release through the end of 2021 will debut for streaming on HBO Max the same day they're released in theaters.

Most notably, the list of films includes the Dune remake and the Matrix sequel.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Not to dump on your thread, but God, the movies you named, really? These are the anticipated films?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Those are ones that I can recall being mentioned/discussed on the forum by various members, so I figured those would be worth mentioning as being of particular interest around here.

There are others, but none of them rang a bell as being topics of discussion recently.

Besides Wonder Woman on Christmas 2020, the entire 2021 WB release list is:

The Little Things
Judas and the Black Messiah
Tom & Jerry
Godzilla vs. Kong
Mortal Kombat
Those Who Wish Me Dead
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
In the Heights
Space Jam: A New Legacy
The Suicide Squad
Reminiscence
Malignant
Dune
The Many Saints of Newark
King Richard
Cry Macho
Matrix 4

(It's unclear if that is in chronological order.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they're into sequels.

In honor of Rogue's meme, I propose "Kelly's Heroes II: Into the North": During the Korean War, Kelly gets the gang back together for a caper to Pyongyang to recover some hidden Japanese gold. Oddball uses his cut to buy a T-34 with some mechanical issues.

I've got to learn how GoFundMe works...

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To quote from another movie:
"I'd buy that for a dollar"

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hey, movie theaters:

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. I think it's the final nail (or at least one of the final nails) in the coffin of the movie theater as we knew it.

I could see smaller "couple screen arthouse" or "movie dining"-style places sticking around once things go back to normal, but the 30-screen stadium seating Megaplex type theaters are likely joining the shopping mall in their last few revolutions of circling the drain.

If so, this may actually be good for the movie industry, with studios being forced to pivot to more story/acting-driven material designed primarily for home streaming consumption, and less of the "loud and frantic CGI mindless action blockbuster" style material that works okay on the jumbo screen with theater sound systems but that the average home viewer can't really take full advantage of.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So 7 of the 17 are a sequel or remake that I can tell just from the title so there could be more.
I think the lack of originality is actually killing the theater business.

Just like the virus Covid alone is not the issue getting Covid while having other health issues is what actually killed you.

If the theaters actually had quality original movies to play it would bounce right back after Covid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I went to a movie theater, the crowd made me think I was in Wal-Mart without the lights on. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
With 80 to 100 plus inch home theaters, large comfy chairs, drinks and popcorn you don't have to mortgage your home to get, and the best part, nobody else around you, a drop of COVID and bam, instant pivotal moment...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Last time I went to a movie theater, the crowd made me think I was in Wal-Mart without the lights on. Roll Eyes

Stolen! Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Will these be free as part of your HBO Max package, or like Disney + when they pulled the crap with Mulan that it was still $30 on top of your monthly fee?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's no indication that these will cost extra.

They've been hyping Wonder Woman's release for a couple months, with no sign of any extra fees.

However, they did just quietly discontinue the "free 7 day trial" for HBO Max, reportedly to prevent people from signing up, streaming Wonder Woman for free, and then jetting.

Still, even if you don't plan to keep HBO Max for more than a month, $14.99 to watch a new release movie (plus whatever else for the remainder of the month) is still cheap compared to the theater.