SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hemingway book just published for the first time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hemingway book just published for the first time Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“NEW YORK (AP) — The themes and trappings are familiar for an Ernest Hemingway narrative: Paris, wartime, talk of books and wine and the scars of battle.

But the story itself has been little known beyond the scholarly community for decades: "A Room on the Garden Side," written in 1956, is being published for the first time. The brief, World War II-era fiction appears this week in the summer edition of The Strand Magazine, a literary quarterly which has released obscure works by Raymond Chandler, John Steinbeck and others.

"Hemingway's deep love for his favorite city as it is just emerging from Nazi occupation is on full display, as are the hallmarks of his prose," Strand Managing Editor Andrew F. Gulli wrote in an editorial note…”

https://apnews.com/b218dfa449aa4bea81ae41c025b428ec

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to read it. But I have to say, there is a reason things he wrote weren't published in his lifetime; mostly because they were unfinished or because he was not satisfied with them.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I love to read, but man I did not like Old Man and the Sea. Ugn, it was painful. I wish schools would stop pushing these "classics" that are not that good and turning off kids to reading.

I never read anything else from Hemingway after that, I hear his other books are much better

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and me, both, Brother!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I wish schools would stop pushing these "classics" that are not that good and turning off kids to reading.

Isn’t that the sad and sorry truth‽

I was fortunate to get started by reading fun stuff like juvenile (that’s what I was, after all) adventure novels and I have churned through books at a rate that amazes most people ever since, but I have never read one of Hemingway’s tales. When I heard The Old Man and the Sea described to me, I couldn’t imagine anything less appealing. Get children interested in reading by reading what they enjoy, and it will stay with them for life. Force them to read what they don’t enjoy, and it’s like making them have a tooth filled without anesthetic: they will do whatever they can to avoid anything similar in the future.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really surprising, but I like Hemingway's Big Two Hearted River.
If you are ever in Key West, visit his house.
His other works are hit or miss with me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love to read, but man I did not like Old Man and the Sea. Ugn, it was painful.

Preach it. It was a page-turner, only in that you were desperately hoping it would get better on the next page.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I'd like to read it. But I have to say, there is a reason things he wrote weren't published in his lifetime; mostly because they were unfinished or because he was not satisfied with them.

Maybe it'll be a worthwhile read, but I'm sure the "elites" will praise it to the heavens and it will be "one of his best works" even if it's merely passable or a pile of excrement because it's associated with Hemingway. Like others here, I'm fortunate to have gotten the reading bug early in life and overcame the dreary crap pushed as so-called classics - Wuthering Heights, The Importance of Being Earnest, etc., were bad enough to read, but then to spend days or weeks discussing the bullshit was excruciating in its irrelevance and uselessness.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a Hemingway fan since college. This new one is not a book but a short story. Just ordered it, will let you know what I think.

Not a complete fan boy though, I hated Across the River and into the Trees and Death in the Afternoon was hard to get through. I am excited about this new one, I have always liked his short stories.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love to read, but man I did not like Old Man and the Sea. Ugn, it was painful. I wish schools would stop pushing these "classics" that are not that good and turning off kids to reading.

I never read anything else from Hemingway after that, I hear his other books are much better

Good point. Almost sixty years later, I don't read novels after being forced to read The Return of The Native by Thomas Hardy, while in college. A colossal bore ! That and trying to figure out Faulkner, while he was jumping back in forth in time, did it for me.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
...Like others here, I'm fortunate to have gotten the reading bug early in life and overcame the dreary crap pushed as so-called classics - Wuthering Heights, The Importance of Being Earnest, etc., were bad enough to read, but then to spend days or weeks discussing the bullshit was excruciating in its irrelevance and uselessness.

My High School assigned books for us to read over the summer, including before freshman year. Luckily, one from that first set included "Riders Of The Purple Sage" by Zane Grey, and I was hooked for life! "Wuthering Heights" and "Earnest" were pains that I got past, knowing that there were better books to look forward to.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is funny, I was just watching Midnight in Paris and always get a chuckle with how Woody Allen had Hemmingway portrayed.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hemingway and Woody Allen?

I don't want to know. I DO NOT want to know! Eek

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Hemingway and Woody Allen?

I don't want to know. I DO NOT want to know! Eek

It wasn't ridiculous just touched on the archetype of Hemingway, the setting of the scenes and how he presents himself is what gives it character. If you haven't seen the movie, it's one of Allen's best and most tolerable films. In general, I do not care for him, however this and To Rome with Love are very easy to watch and enjoy.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I read Old Man and the Sea and I was rooting for the fish the whole time. Smile

quote:

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hemingway was one of the best writers of the 20th Century. It seems he was always looking for more efficient ways to use the written word to convey his ideas. He was a craftsman and a genuine artist.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

My experience was the opposite. Loved it in school (and hated most books), and still read it when I go on vacation. Interesting to see quite a few folks here say they disliked it when I couldnt put it down.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve read nearly everything Hemingway wrote and liked most of them. I believe his writing is timeless in that you can read a novel like “The Sun Also Rises,” written in 1926, and it reads contemporary. I love his short declarative sentences and realistic conversational writing.

I’ve also read Fitzgerald, and I cannot say the same thing. His novels (to me) read like they’re 85-90 years old. They’re good, but I have nowhere near the affinity I have for Hemingway.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
"Old man's got to be the old man, fish has to be a fish"

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read a few of his books. The sun also rises, old man and the sea.....etc. I never really got into them nor thought they were all that great.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post