SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    American Gods TV Series
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Gods TV Series Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
Anyone else excited for this?

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Just watched it, it was bitchin!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Fantastic first episode. Looks like something original and the acting is superb.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for my wife to say she hated it and didn't want to watch any more, when she sent me a link! I guess she liked it!

http://nerdist.com/american-gods-premiere-wtf/

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NPR had a review yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/01/...immigrant-experience

Had not heard about either the book or the show prior to that.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
So two episodes in and no discussion from the board from the original post date?

Ive never read the book but I'm finding the series intriguing so far. I'm looking forward to the next episode this Sunday.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Its interesting and very weird at the same time. They leave a lot unexplained, which is a little irritating.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the book. Pretty good adaption so far. I read it years and years ago. But some of the dialogue floods back specific memories because the topic is so unusual.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Whaaaat???

Loved the book (have a signed copy Wink ), but never heard of this.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen it yet but the first two episodes are queued up at a friend's to watch this weekend.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Just saw the first episode last night.

I was impressed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
NPR had a review yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/01/...immigrant-experience

Had not heard about either the book or the show prior to that.

Good God - what a partisan piece of shit review. Lovely bits of political turds like

"Now", he says, "we live in a world where immigrants are villified and immigration is seen as a suspicious thing. And he's somewhat baffled that the concept he wanted to celebrate is now considered fairly controversial." ("he" being the author of the book)

and

Showrunners Michael Green and Bryan Fuller say they didn't set out to make a political show either, though it does touch on topics like religion and police brutality. One historical flashback depicts the god Anansi — played by Orlando Jones — telling his believers, on a slave ship bound for America, what they can expect.

"You arrive in America," Anansi says, "land of opportunity, milk and honey, and guess what — you all get to be slaves, split up and sold off and worked to death. A hundred years after you get free, you're still getting ... shot at by police."

"It wasn't so much a political agenda as much as it was telling an American experience story," Fuller says.

Based on this bullshit I'll skip the series.

Yeah, I know... "It's just entertainment", etc., etc. And to forestall the inevitable accusation of bringing politics into a thread - it was here from the first post as, at least according to the NPR write-up, it's inherent in the show's production.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In general, I find that reviews and previews just ruin things. I try to avoid them all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Its interesting and very weird at the same time. They leave a lot unexplained, which is a little irritating.

I agree, it is bizarre but it keeps you watching just to figure all of this weird shit out. I am in a constant WTF state while watching it. Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
In general, I find that reviews and previews just ruin things. I try to avoid them all.

This. I'm more than capable of making up my own mind about these things.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It's NPR, I've can't stand their tripe scented reviews and opinions so I steer clear. Similarly, I was constantly in a state of "ok, what's going on here." Trippy.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the first 2 episodes and it is very strange. I am still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I saw the first 2 episodes and it is very strange. I am still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Gods never really die. Their power (and form) waxes and wanes with the number of believers and the the strength of their belief. The shows premise is that the old Gods are in America, having been brought here by their worshippers at various times and through various means. Also based on the strength of belief new Gods are rising, such as Internet Boy and the growing belief (faith) in modern technology.

The opening vignettes in each episode explain how some of these Gods arrived-Odin/Mr. Wednesday in episode one for example.

The story(s) revolve around the interactions of all those various Gods. I also think figuring out who the characters/Gods really are will be both fun for the viewer and play a part in the series as well. For example, I'm not convinced that Mr. Wednesday is really Odin despite the blatant references to get you to think so. There are some things I've noticed that just don't fit with the persona of Odin/The All-Father. I haven't read the book so I'm just speculating but I'm curious to see if I'm right in my suspicions in later episode or seasons.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Like others in this thread, I'd never heard of this show and since it's on Starz, it will be some time before I do. But it sounds interesting. I noticed it is made by the same production company (Living Dead Guy) that produced 'Hannibal' for NBC a few years ago. Gillian Anderson was in that one too.

I may need to see this in the coming months.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Was watching Black Sails til Flint turned into a fruit. Checking out ep 1 out now.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post