SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Black Dahlia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Black Dahlia Login/Join 
posted
It was made in 2006, but I don't remember hearing about it until I stumbled across it last night. It was inspired by the unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short in 1947, but makes no claim to be a factual account.

Stylistically, I think they were trying to pay homage to film noir. Not a great movie, but worth watching if you like that genre.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There were some recent developments on this case... Retired LAPD detective thinks his father killed the Black Dahlia

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The upcoming TNT miniseries I am the Night, staring Chris Pine, also centers on the Black Dahila murder, it looks like.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I am the night looks to be good.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
There were some recent developments on this case... Retired LAPD detective thinks his father killed the Black Dahlia

They resurrect the story every few years. This guy has been writing abouet his father being the killer for quite some time. Probably was him.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said, this movie doesn't pretend to shed any new light on the real case. The only thing in it that was probably factual was the name of the victim and the condition of the body.

I just thought it was a pretty good movie, especially for those who might enjoy a modern take on classic film noir.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
It is a fictional account of Elizabeth Shorts murder. Based on a fictional book of the same name by James Ellroy, who writes some really dark stuff. I’ve read a few of his books and I like them but I don’t think they’re everyone’s cup of tea.

He also wrote L.A. Confidential which I think both the book and movie are far superior to the Black Dahlia. This was part of a four book series called the L.A. Quartet. The others were White Jazz and The Big Nowhere. All were very good, gritty, noir type stories.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I caught part of it on the Starz channel the other night and liked the part I saw. I set a recording for a later showing but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet.

I've read Ellroy's L.S. Quartet. I love L.A. Confidential, which is much more involved than the movie. The Big Nowhere was also good, but I couldn't get into White Jazz.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
He also wrote L.A. Confidential which I think both the book and movie are far superior to the Black Dahlia.

Thanks. I'll add it to my watch list.

- Benjamin Franklin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
It is a fictional account of Elizabeth Shorts murder. Based on a fictional book of the same name by James Ellroy, who writes some really dark stuff. I’ve read a few of his books and I like them but I don’t think they’re everyone’s cup of tea.

He also wrote L.A. Confidential which I think both the book and movie are far superior to the Black Dahlia. This was part of a four book series called the L.A. Quartet. The others were White Jazz and The Big Nowhere. All were very good, gritty, noir type stories.

James Ellroy also wrote "My Dark Places", a non-fiction book about his mother who was raped and murdered in 1958.
He writes some dark stuff because he's lived through some dark stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Dark_Places_(book)

https://www.amazon.com/My-Dark...+%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-1

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post