SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Westerns That are Difficult To Pass On, any Western Fans Here?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westerns That are Difficult To Pass On, any Western Fans Here? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Lately getting close to the Holidays I see many of those westerns popping up that I push to the DVR for watching, several I've seen many times but still enjoy watching again. Anybody else enjoy a good western?

Silverado
Open Range
Josey Wales
Quigley Down Under

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Movies: A few of my favourites have been The Outlaw Josie Wales, Hang 'Em High and Pale Rider. And, of course, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Yeah, all "Clint" westerns.

There are a couple series on either Netflix or Amazon Prime my wife and I both enjoyed: Hell On Wheels and Deadwood.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Add Sackets, Last Stand at Saber River, Crossfire trail...

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above-

Magnificent Seven (the original)
A man named horse

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Searchers

Stagecoach

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any movie with Randolph Scott.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
Add Sackets, Last Stand at Saber River, Crossfire trail...

Oh yea, forgot some of those Selleck favorites! Also would add ole Rooster Cogburn while I'm thinking about it!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Some of those mentioned, I like. Some, not so much. My favorite John Wayne is The Cowboys. Interestingly, through FB, I’ve become “friends” with a guy who was one of the boys in the movie. He still lives in California, but lives a very western livestyle, competing regularly in team roping. I’m like a broken record in professing my affection for the movie Shane. Another favorite that’s not shown often enough is Conagher, a made for tv movie with Sam Elliot and his real-life wife, Katherine Ross.

I’ll add one modern times Western, The Electric Horseman; in spite of the presence of Jane Fonda in the cast.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
> Unforgiven
> The man who shot liberty valance
> Once upon a time in the west
> Tombstone

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another favorite that’s not shown often enough is Conagher, a made for tv movie with Sam Elliot and his real-life wife, Katherine Ross.

I just recently watched that one too, Sam has a voice you'd recognize even with your eyes closed. Another western thats worth mentioning that slipped my mind, thanks for mentioning it.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
3:10 to Yuma (either one)
Hostiles.
My Darling Clementine.
The OxBow Incident.
True Grit (either one).
Ride the High Country.
The Naked Spur.
Winchester 73.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Like most kids from years ago I grew up on westerns. John Wayne was the man until Clint Eastwood came of age with his dollar trilogy: Fist Full of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. In my mind, it was all over for Wayne.

Clint changed everything. Life was hard, shootings were bloody, cowboys didn’t shave, and western clothing didn’t come starched, pressed, and sparkly clean.

I never get tired of those three westerns.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Any movie with Randolph Scott.

RANDOLPH SCOTT!

Blazing Saddles

True Grit
Rio Lobo
Chisum
Cahill
Unforgiven
All of the Spaghetti Westerns
3:10 to Yuma

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Once Upon a Time in the West

Hondo

The Shootist

Hombre

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

The Long Riders

Silverado

Appaloosa

Jeremiah Johnson

Will Penny

Major Dundee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Not a movie, but I love Lonesome Dove.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Like most kids from years ago I grew up on westerns. John Wayne was the man until Clint Eastwood came of age with his dollar trilogy: Fist Full of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. In my mind, it was all over for Wayne.

Clint changed everything. Life was hard, shootings were bloody, cowboys didn’t shave, and western clothing didn’t come starched, pressed, and sparkly clean.

I never get tired of those three westerns.

Not to mention those little cigars he always had clenched in his teeth!

Was a big fan of the 4-part Lonesome Dove series as well. Just watched that the other night too. Duvall and Tommy Lee fit those characters perfectly, I liked that one better than the one with Jon Voight playing Woodrow in the Return to Lonesome Dove series. Not to take anything away from Voight, he's a good actor, I just prefer Tommy Lee playing that part. I remember seeing James Garner playing Woodrow once too in the past.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
John Ford’s cavalry trilogy, especially “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon”.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
always liked The Cowboys with John Wayne

kids with guns -- definitely one to make the libs run screaming triggered...

Bruce Dern a great baddie

don't know why but the scene where they pull that one rustler down and the Mexican kid jumps on his chest to finish him off with the knife has always stuck with me...

he was keen to see the job done

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once Upon A Time In The West

High Plains Drifter

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Lust in the Dust
Rustlers Rhapsody

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post