SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Car Restoration Shows
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Restoration Shows Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've tried to watch a few variations of these. I might be considered more of a purist on the sliding scale of what you like, but installing a 52" LED into the trunk on my ride does not a chubby bring. Just find an old sporty car (or not sporty, but aesthetically pleasing), fix it up, and present it to me.
Wanna install disc brakes on it all the way around? Ok, fine.
We're gonna swap in a modern engine. Ok, I suppose.
We're just gonna save some of the body panels and fabricate everything else. Uhm... peach, I'm out.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Garage Squad show. Wasn't anything fancy, just fixing up peoples beaters and getting them road worthy again.

Always wanted to submit my 1969 Datsun 510 for them, it would certainly be a project, but, I don't even have a garage. Eek

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I avoid them all, since reality seems to be not really there,

did watch the one called chasing classic cars (or something similar)
until they showed the dude staring at a computer monitor looking for parts, ,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I did watch the one called chasing classic cars (or something similar)

I’ll bite. Why is “looking for parts” on a computer a deal breaker?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I did watch the one called chasing classic cars (or something similar)

I’ll bite. Why is “looking for parts” on a computer a deal breaker?

was for me, watching the dude stare at a screen,, riveting TV it was Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Most of these shows are "fantasy shows" anyway.
Not that they don't do real work - they do.
But no one is going to watch every day grind of oil changes and general repairs.
We want to see those exotic cars transformed from junk to works or art.
These are very long time projects and very expensive.
Not something most of us can afford.
But we can fantasize!
I imagine many of these are 6-figure jobs and take a year or more.
Getting to see them materialize in an hour episode is entertaining.
The bonus for the shops is that they probably make more from the show episode proceeds than the car.
It also gives them exposure and new clients albeit they will be the ones that are rich.
Just keeping it in perspective.

PS...love the Welder Up show transforming rat rods .... also not cheap .... but cool! Cool

I also want a mega-diesel truck from Diesel Brothers! Cool Cool

Then a custom resto-mod from Foose or Kindig. Cool Cool Cool

The bottom line is most all do spectacular custom work .... but it ain't cheap ... and shouldn't be.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"All Girls Garage"

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashman70
posted Hide Post
Love these shows. #1 - Bitch'in Rides - great work, personable characters; #2 Garage Squad (Heather Storm!); Fantomworks - get to see my hometown; Iron Resurrection- Texas!

clarior hinc honos.

Posts: 365 | Location: Pawleys Island, SC | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
"All Girls Garage"

Ummm > NO. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
"All Girls Garage"

Ummm > NO. Eek

Cristy Lee, 'nuff said.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
"All Girls Garage"

Ummm > NO. Eek

Cristy Lee, 'nuff said.

Still > NO.

These half hour semi-informercial car shows are awful ... all of them.
Girls as mechanics just makes it worse.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
A friend just had his restore shown on Graveyard Cars. A 1972 Duster. I don't get the channel on my package so I have only seen the pictures he sent. He was 17 when he bought it new. It came out well. Took 3 years since he had it shipped to them and had it completed.

When I started driving in '75 we had a '73, and the only question I have is why in hell would you bother, even acknowledging the sentimental nostalgia. POS doesn't begin to describe that car.

I really enjoy Wheeler Dealer, particularly watching Edd solve the issues thrust in front of him. Overhaulin's customs are not my thing, but man, is Chip Foose talented.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
A friend just had his restore shown on Graveyard Cars. A 1972 Duster. I don't get the channel on my package so I have only seen the pictures he sent. He was 17 when he bought it new. It came out well. Took 3 years since he had it shipped to them and had it completed.

When I started driving in '75 we had a '73, and the only question I have is why in hell would you bother, even acknowledging the sentimental nostalgia. POS doesn't begin to describe that car.

I really enjoy Wheeler Dealer, particularly watching Edd solve the issues thrust in front of him. Overhaulin's customs are not my thing, but man, is Chip Foose talented.

My family bought a new one in 1972, I thought it was too light in the rear and seemed to drift too much at higher speeds. The one my friend owns was much different with the larger engine and more a muscle car. I agree though, it is not a car I would want to put a lot of money into it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Barrett-Jackson, Scottsdale is on now. I record all of it (actually all B-J auctions), and fast forward through any car I don’t really care about. Great fun for me. Seems like prices are up in the 4 1/2 hours of auctions I’ve zipped through so far.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fantomworks is ending this January lost show coming up

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fantomworks

Watched for a while but he's more of a repair than restoration operation. I liked the fact he detailed the costs at the end.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still > NO.

These half hour semi-informercial car shows are awful ... all of them.
Girls as mechanics just makes it worse.
I don't recall the name of it, but Bogi Lightner's shop in Phoenix does exist. However, the show is as phony as a $3 bill. They never work on 10-20-year-old cars with grime and rust, the jobs are always simple bolt-ons, there are never any problems like parts delays, etc. They don't even get dirty or mess up their manicures, for Christ's sake.

I doubt that an actual working repair shop has an all-female crew. This is a male-dominated profession. In my own experience working in independent repair shops, or when going to training or certification classes and meeting technicians from other shops, I think I've seen two women.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post