SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries. Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have not watched an episode yet, but likely will start it soon

meanwhile, found this on another site,

good read

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Series of interesting photos of Chernobyl.

http://knowledgeglue.com/amazi...-chernobyl-disaster/

That photo of Mickey Mickeyevitch Mouseski was odd. Why would the Soviets tolerate a Western capitalistic icon like that?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Series of interesting photos of Chernobyl.

http://knowledgeglue.com/amazi...-chernobyl-disaster/

That photo of Mickey Mickeyevitch Mouseski was odd. Why would the Soviets tolerate a Western capitalistic icon like that?

The Mouse is everywhere...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheburashka, the 'Soviet Mickey Mouse, is famous in Russia.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just watched the first two episodes. I like it. I was 12 when it happened and I remember people talking about the radiation that was blowing over Europe.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Episode 2 was vastly improved. Russians smoke an awful lot. That Boris guy who was the big bureaucrat looks like he has a bad case of indigestion. He did give a good take one for the team speech which is characteristic of the Russian psyche. I remember the film scene of the Russian soldiers running into German machinegun fire with the siege of Stalingrad. There were not enough rifles to go around so the soldiers were told to pick up the rifle of the guy in front of him when he was shot. I believe it was Enemy at the Gates.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Just watched the first two episodes. I like it. I was 12 when it happened and I remember people talking about the radiation that was blowing over Europe.

I was 14, living close to the inner-German border. Being a kid of morbid fascinations, I put red, yellow and green markers on my map of Europe as reports came in on increased radiation readings. When we got a downpour, I donned a WW II gas mask, raincoat and rubber boots and went out into the garden to let me be rained one. Afterwards I hung the gear on a wall, got the garden hose and "decontaminated" it.

Of course later the same week, I got caught in another downpour on the way to sunday school, wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. I came home drenched to the skin and had to lay down because I felt terribly sick. Flip side of an impressionable juvenile mind.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:

I was 14, living close to the inner-German border. Being a kid of morbid fascinations, I put red, yellow and green markers on my map of Europe as reports came in on increased radiation readings.

So you were like a German Sheldon Cooper? Big Grin

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate I probably would have fit that description for a long time of my life ...

There's a novel by German author Gudrun Pausewang inspired by Chernobyl, "The Cloud", in which a German nuke plant blows up as experienced by a teenage girl. Between that and her similar depiction of the effects of a nuclear exchange in "The Last Children of Schewenborn", she's probably responsible for traumatizing a lot of kids from my generation, when Germany was widely gripped by nuclear fear, both civilian and military. I miss that time ...

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I discovered today that there is dedicated podcast to this show. The show's creator discusses each episode as it is aired, so there are two podcast episodes currently. He goes through what is absolutely true as to what actually happened and what is not so true and artistic liberty.

I've made it through half of the first podcast (they seem to be just under an hour each), and it is so far very interesting. It is a good compliment to the actual show.

I did take issue with a couple of the creator's opinions on certain matters (one was a bit political but very brief and didn't overall dissuade me from continuing to listen) such as his belief that had this happened in America, we simply would've let it go since no American would think of sacrificing himself like the Russians. I don't necessarily believe that.

But anyway, check it out if you find Chernobyl interesting. The link is to Castbox, but I'm sure you can find it on whatever platform you listen to your podcasts on.

https://castbox.fm/va/2088982

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did take issue with a couple of the creator's opinions on certain matters (one was a bit political but very brief and didn't overall dissuade me from continuing to listen) such as his belief that had this happened in America, we simply would've let it go since no American would think of sacrificing himself like the Russians. I don't necessarily believe that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The history of Russia has been" take one for the Motherland" for a long time. Looking at the enormous sacrifices its citizens made during World War II is part of the reason. Millions died in Russia. The Germans really kicked their ass for some time. Americans have never experienced an invasion like that. I am sure that we would get people to sacrifice themselves. I am not sure that a mere speech by a bureaucrat did the trick as the miniseries suggests.

America would not "let it go", although the method of getting volunteers might be a little different. There are plenty of folks on Death Row or facing terminal illness who would be physically capable of doing such a thing. Lee Marvin and his crew are not availbable but we would come up with a solution.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes, I agree completely with your description of Soviet patriotism. I don't mean to diminish that at all. The show's creator though literally described Americans faced with this exact scenario--that being having to send men to their most assured death--as just roping off a good chunk of the Atlantic coast and saying, "well, we can't go back here for awhile."

Anyway, I finished the first two podcast episodes, and it really gives you a good background for the show. Like at the end of episode 2 where the men enter the building to open the sluice gates. What happened in that scene happened in real life. Crazy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
We have plenty of patriots here, plus frankly we are more ingenious than the Russians in a lot or respects. We get people to do stuff that will cost them their lives but we would probably employ different methods. There are people in the United States that would sell their souls for money or have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the tip about the podcast.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
Unfortunate I probably would have fit that description for a long time of my life ...

There's a novel by German author Gudrun Pausewang inspired by Chernobyl, "The Cloud", in which a German nuke plant blows up as experienced by a teenage girl. Between that and her similar depiction of the effects of a nuclear exchange in "The Last Children of Schewenborn", she's probably responsible for traumatizing a lot of kids from my generation, when Germany was widely gripped by nuclear fear, both civilian and military. I miss that time ...

The movie “The Day After” did the exact same thing for me. I was about 10 years old and it was the height of the Cold War and the fear that the Soviets would nuke us. Frown

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh good lord, how HORRID! That is a HORRIBLE way to die...JSMH. Eek And I understand love, but the fireman’s wife is a stupid, stupid moron. What part of “do not touch” is not understood?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The history of Russia has been" take one for the Motherland" for a long time. Looking at the enormous sacrifices its citizens made during World War II is part of the reason. Millions died in Russia. The Germans really kicked their ass for some time. Americans have never experienced an invasion like that. I am sure that we would get people to sacrifice themselves. I am not sure that a mere speech by a bureaucrat did the trick as the miniseries suggests.

America would not "let it go", although the method of getting volunteers might be a little different. There are plenty of folks on Death Row or facing terminal illness who would be physically capable of doing such a thing. Lee Marvin and his crew are not availbable but we would come up with a solution.

Need I remind people of the Fire Fighters, Police, and others reactions and self sacrifice during 9/11?

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Oh good lord, how HORRID! That is a HORRIBLE way to die...JSMH. Eek And I understand love, but the fireman’s wife is a stupid, stupid moron. What part of “do not touch” is not understood?

They had no idea at the time of what they were dealing with. She thought it was just burns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
In the weeks and months afterward they began calling up the reserves (most men) to help with the clean up. My father in law had the where with all to bribe (pretty common) the officials not to go.

I have heard talk of those that went...the reds NBC suits were less than ideal and in many cases these men were literally picking material up to bury it....many died later of cancer.

On a side note..where did the make this? Those Khrushchev apartments are pretty accurate as are the hotel and office scenes.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
On a side note..where did the make this? Those Khrushchev apartments are pretty accurate as are the hotel and office scenes.
Lithuania and Ukraine

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7...tions?ref_=ttfc_sa_4

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you....

Trying to get my wife and MIL to watch...they are from Kharkiv...SE of Chernobyl, my wife was 3 when this happened.

Watching EP 3, the wife bribing the nurse.....totally true to life

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post