SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries. Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
How can I watch it if I dont have HBO? Can I rent it online etc?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

You can get a streaming subscription for HBO, either through the standalone HBO Now service, or by adding the HBO channel to your Amazon Prime Video subscription.

It's $15/month. Wait until the miniseries is complete, then get a HBO streaming subscription for a month, watch the series, and then cancel the subscription.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Something about Chernobyl has always fascinated me, will have to give this a watch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There are many good documentaries on the subject on youtube for free. Here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg1kwoSiIc0

No need for a dramatized version, the real one is scary enough. Biorobots are one example. The Soviets were in Afghanistan at the time. Soldiers were offered a get out of the service opportunity in exchange for spending about 90 seconds on the roof of the building near the reactor, shoveling radioactive debris off into an area that would be covered in concrete. The electronics in regular remote controlled equipment couldn't operate in the highly radioactive area. They called them biorobots.

As bad as it was, it could have been worse and will continue to be a problem into eternity.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am always wary of miniseries and historical accuracies. I would go with the free documentaries. The film Chernobyl Diaries which is completely fiction is surprisingly pretty good. Essentially a group of American adventure tourists go into the restricted area in the abandoned city of Prizbyl for a look see.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

You can get a streaming subscription for HBO, either through the standalone HBO Now service, or by adding the HBO channel to your Amazon Prime Video subscription.

It's $15/month. Wait until the miniseries is complete, then get a HBO streaming subscription for a month, watch the series, and then cancel the subscription.

Excellent. I will definitely do that. It looks like I can ad it to my amazon prime subscription.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It predict glowing reviews.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It predict glowing reviews.

Nice!!!!!

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
If you go the subscription route, do it through Amazon if you can. The HBO UI is atrocious.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting how communism and the lackadaisical atmosphere that results, can bring us these disasters.

The workers can care less about quality control. Yet they build nuclear subs , nuclear bombs, etc.

Even years later viewing the Chernobyl disaster, so SCARY. Amazing that most of that part of the world wasn't fatally contaminated.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
If you go the subscription route, do it through Amazon if you can. The HBO UI is atrocious.

My experience as well. I used to have a standalone HBO Now subscription, but switched my HBO subscription to my Amazon account.

In addition to the UI, HBO's streaming service seems to bog down and buffer more than usual on highly anticipated debut nights (like the premier of Game of Thrones seasons). But I haven't experienced that same slowdown with HBO through Amazon.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that the first episode aired last night. I got lucky as I happened to come across it when it was starting as I was getting into bed and decided to stay up and watch it. I had forgotten all about it.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed the first episode. Seems to be very well done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No HBO for us, I did just read "Ablaze: The Story of the Heroes and Victims of Chernobyl" by Piers Paul Read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5

I'm planning a visit to Kiev next year, will take a side trip to Chernobyl:

https://www.tourkiev.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Gonna check it out tonight, thanks for the review Balze.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Even years later viewing the Chernobyl disaster, so SCARY. Amazing that most of that part of the world wasn't fatally contaminated.

The area is contaminated but, not THAT contaminated...don't get me wrong, I'm not eating anything that was raised or, grown around there.
Recently a new all-steel containment shelter was slid over the entombed reactor; funded of course by the largest economies in the world. There's a video in the link, it took awhile to build and the workers are wearing some protection but, not all suited-up like your imagination.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Be prepared for four things:

1. It's dark. But then it happened at night. Wink I'm talking of the story portrayed. I predict everybody in Episode 1 dies horribly in Episode 2.

2. It is a hit on nuclear power, not the insanity of nuclear power run by the Soviets. And that way it's a shame because the only viable alternative to fossil fuels is nuclear power. Or a return to completely agrarian society like that which existed in the 15th century.

3. If you understand the Soviet state you'll understand of the completely fucked-up world these people lived in. Facts that did not conform to Leninist theory had to be disposed of. Where facts that conformed to Leninist theory did not exist, they needed to be created out of lies. No facts or theory were allowed to tarnish the image of Lenin, the supremacy of the state, or the subjugation of the individual to the will of the many. Sadly those who do not realize these facts about the Soviet state will probably miss the importance of that aspect of the story. It's a shame that that probably includes anybody under the age of 30.

4. There is very little about the show that I would qualify as enjoyable. It's enjoyable only in the display of individual heroism by many people who knew that the acts they were doing spelled their doom with the certainty of the sun rising in the east. It's interesting that we probably owe the continued inhabitation of Europe to these people but we will never know who they really were.

I'll be watching next week.

ETA to Corsair.

I believe FN in MT was referring to the radiological disaster that did not occur because of the heroism of the responders in the first days of the disaster. There was a very high potential for the vast amount of radioactive material in the reactor to be expelled into the air bound to very fine particulate matter that would have come down over a large swath of Europe. You might have ended up with the situation of a large portion of Europe depopulated in the way the area around Pripyat is depopulated now.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was working at a Nuclear Shipyard when this happened. I was rather shocked at just how much our NRRO (Naval Nuclear Reactor Office) folks knew within hours about what had happened. Everything that was shared with management proved 100% accurate.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. If you understand the Soviet state you'll understand of the completely fucked-up world these people lived in. Facts that did not conform to Leninist theory had to be disposed of. Where facts that conformed to Leninist theory did not exist, they needed to be created out of lies. No facts or theory were allowed to tarnish the image of Lenin, the supremacy of the state, or the subjugation of the individual to the will of the many. Sadly those who do not realize these facts about the Soviet state will probably miss the importance of that aspect of the story. It's a shame that that probably includes anybody under the age of 30.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am a student of history and well acquainted with the Soviet Union. The film smacked of propaganda at times. I had the sense that the Communist bureaucracy was overemphasized. If this had occurred during the time of Stalin or early in the Cold War it would be more believable. I am curious as to the historical accuracy. I can recall that there was quite a bit of secrecy as to what actually happened and am thankful that things were not worse.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. I liked how the plant operator kept telling his staff that they were wrong and that they didn’t know what they were talking about.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
“Denial” ain’t only a river in Egypt. Yes...denial on ALL levels was absolutely astonishing. Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post