SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

On a side note..where did the make this? Those Khrushchev apartments are pretty accurate as are the hotel and office scenes.

Also, the KGB prison where the female scientist was held was an actual KGB prison. These little tidbits are revealed in the corresponding podcast.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, the KGB prison where the female scientist was held was an actual KGB prison. These little tidbits are revealed in the corresponding podcast.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The KGB prison looked like just what I imagined. Green peeling paint. I was also impressed with the written dialogue. The Russian bureaucrat, Boris is looking smarter every day. His remark that you do not lie to miners was a good one. Also his remarks about the diaglogue between Legasov and the head of the KGB were hilarious. Something to the effect of " It went better than expected, you came off as a naive idiot, and they are not afraid of naive idiots"

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The KGB prison looked like just what I imagined. Green peeling paint. I was also impressed with the written dialogue. The Russian bureaucrat, Boris is looking smarter every day. His remark that you do not lie to miners was a good one. Also his remarks about the diaglogue between Legasov and the head of the KGB were hilarious. Something to the effect of " It went better than expected, you came off as a naive idiot, and they are not afraid of naive idiots"

He reminds me a lot of the Donald Sutherland character in Citizen X.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Good point.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Sutherland should have received an Oscar for that performance.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Sutherland should have received an Oscar for that performance.

Thinking about the that movie, I believe that the Detective and Colonel roles supported each other. Like the Psychiatrist says at the end, "The two of you make one decent person."

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept wondering why the miners were complaining about the heat. It was 53 degrees, which would be cold to me. It took me a while to realize it was 53 degrees Celsius. Besides the United States who else uses the Fahrenheit scale?

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have been watching this series and it is intriguing to me.

They sacrificed thousands to save millions of lives.

I did not like the Dogs being eradicated...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides the United States who else uses the Fahrenheit scale?

Burma
Liberia

That's it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Sorry...just ain't NO WAY I coulda been on the "animal control" squad. Nope...

Can't believe the series is already wrapping up next week...been a REALLY good series!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
^^^ 100% agree on all accounts

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No good choices, but would prefer it to executing old ladies who will not leave. The 90 seconds on the roof would pretty much suck. Series is doing a good job of portraying the human misery that folks in the Ukraine have suffered for years. My cousin is Ukranian but born here. They have suffered under lots of regimes, as the old lady recounts to the soldier.

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Been in the Fire Service for over 40 years. When I heard what those guys did, My heart went out to them. They were on the other side but they were firefighters and went when no one else would or could. Their Sacrifice saved more then just their nation. There is a place in Heaven for those folks.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
What that poor fireman was going through it unimaginable! If I were him, I'd certainly want to be put out of my misery. I'm normally very much against euthanasia, but I think I'd make an exception in his case.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It is the highest rated show on IMDB with a 9.6 beating out Planet Earth II. It really is Must Watch television.

Link

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
What that poor fireman was going through it unimaginable! If I were him, I'd certainly want to be put out of my misery. I'm normally very much against euthanasia, but I think I'd make an exception in his case.

What was so sad and striking when Legasov was describing the breakdown of the body with this horrible condition, was that all the veins and arteries collapse to the point that NOTHING can be administered intravenously to relieve the pain. Yes...I would beg for a merciful death. Just terrible...my TV must have an issue because it's gotten a little blurry a couple of times. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The final episode was excellent. It did an amazing job of clearly explaining exactly what happened to cause the explosion. Very well done and super interesting. Like reaching the end of a murder mystery where all is revealed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:

What was so sad and striking when Legasov was describing the breakdown of the body with this horrible condition, was that all the veins and arteries collapse to the point that NOTHING can be administered intravenously to relieve the pain. Yes...I would beg for a merciful death. Just terrible...my TV must have an issue because it's gotten a little blurry a couple of times. Frown

That goes back to the scene where the bigwig ordered the helicopter pilot to fly over the reactor to see it. Bigwig said the pilot would be shot if he disobeyed orders, the scientist said the pilot would be begging for that bullet tomorrow. Pilot wisely did not fly near reactor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
No good choices, but would prefer it to executing old ladies who will not leave. The 90 seconds on the roof would pretty much suck. Series is doing a good job of portraying the human misery that folks in the Ukraine have suffered for years. My cousin is Ukranian but born here. They have suffered under lots of regimes, as the old lady recounts to the soldier.

Everything I’ve read said that the time limit for the “biorobots” on the roof was 40 seconds, not 90 seconds.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Excellent, EXCELLENT series...probably one of the best I've ever seen behind Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

You are spot on, Balze...the last episode did an OUTSTANDING job of "telling the tale". What a magnificent example of the USSR and their policy of "telling a lie long enough until it's the truth". That' how that entire country was run for DECADES!!! Eek I'm glad Legasov's truth was finally revealed. Chernobyl just might be the subject matter for which I start studying up on next...