SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chernobyl on HBO - upcoming miniseries. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He went to public school. It is not his fault.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I find it interesting how communism and the lackadaisical atmosphere that results, can bring us these disasters.

The workers can care less about quality control. Yet they build nuclear subs , nuclear bombs, etc.

Even years later viewing the Chernobyl disaster, so SCARY. Amazing that most of that part of the world wasn't fatally contaminated.

Hence the expression in Communist Countries
The Government pretends to pay you.
You pretend to work.

It certainly is a scary thought...

Back in the late 70's when Poland opened up to tourism a little, my Parents went back to see where their Parents were born. My Dad tells the story of seeing hundreds of women waiting in a long, slow moving line in Gdansk. He asked one of the women "What are You waiting for"?

Turns out it was a grocery line. She stated; "Either chicken or toilet paper". My Dad always found that hilarious.

We had a group of recently emigrated Russians living near us in NJ when I was a young adult. Several went to our HS. I found the parents to be very depressing. As if they were simply hanging around, waiting to die. A sad bunch of people.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
The black & white epilogue at the end was really fascinating, learning what happened to all of the players afterwards. Amazing that the 3 divers that went in to release the water actually survived, 2 of them still being alive. Unbelievable that the official death toll, that is still being reported by Russia, is 31.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And here Russia comes to perfectly prove part of the point that was being made in Chernobyl. Gotta love it.

Russian TV to air its own patriotic retelling of Chernobyl story
Russian version will revolve around role of a CIA agent before the nuclear accident

Andrew Roth in Moscow
Fri 7 Jun 2019 07.24 EDT

Russian state TV is set to air its own drama about the deadly 1986 Chernobyl disaster – but unlike the HBO series, which has transfixed viewers around the world, this version will claim that a CIA spy was present for the worst nuclear accident in history.

Chernobyl, which will air on Russia’s NTV channel, appears to fulfil a demand from tabloid columnists and state TV news for a more patriotic retelling of the story.

Craig Mazin, the creator of the HBO series, famously obsessed over minor details such as shoelaces and telephones, and adopted first-hand accounts of survivors to authentically recreate the Soviet Union of the 1980s.

NTV’s Chernobyl, filmed in Belarus, takes far more liberties. A description of the show says that the plot revolves around a CIA agent dispatched to Pripyat to gather intelligence on the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and the Russian counterintelligence agent sent to track him down.

If it sounds like fiction, that’s because it is. But the director, Alexey Muradov, said the show “will tell viewers about what really happened back then”.

“There is a theory that the Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that on the day of the explosion an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station,” Muradov told the tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda, which said the show “proposes an alternative view on the tragedy in Pripyat”.

State-run television and Russian tabloids have accused the HBO series of bias by papering over the heroic acts of Soviet emergency workers, the so-called “liquidators”.

“Chernobyl did not show the most important part – our victory,” ran one headline in Komsomolskaya Pravda, the country’s most popular daily.

Another article by the prominent war correspondent Dmitry Steshin in the same paper claimed the show was filmed in order to sabotage overseas sales of nuclear energy technology by the Russian state company Rosatom.

Russia fetes its military veterans like few other countries do, but far less attention is paid to the Chernobyl liquidators. Ilya Shepelin, a Russian journalist, wrote in the Moscow Times that “the fact that an American, not a Russian, TV channel tells us about our own heroes is a source of shame that the pro-Kremlin media apparently cannot live down”.

Link

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
These Russkies crack me up.

Now it was the CIA that wanted to irradiate half of Europe and render the other half uninhabitable for centuries? Yeah right, Comrades. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I think the HBO series conveys a VERY patriotic retelling of the event. It took HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of dedicated heroes during that time to limit the loss of life and disaster beyond what it was, TO THEIR OWN DETRIMENT! I would think the Russian population would applaud the efforts of HBO to tell the factual account. But then again, NOTHING in the USSR/Russia has ever been based on fact or truth.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
"And so we will dig as our fathers did"

How the F do you get more patriotic than the telling of the story of the miners. The telling of the story of the workers who sacrificed themselves to try to turn on the water, nurses, fireman, OMG the firemen, and finally the story of the three guys who went into the watertank.

If Russia cannot separate (even after the fall of communism) the destructive nature of tyrannical ideology, then they are just as stupid as the politicians in 1986. I love how HBO shows the PEOPLE of Russia doing what is needed, but also that ultimately the system was at fault.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. But then again, NOTHING in the USSR/Russia has ever been based on fact or truth.

I think that the story about Catherine the Great and a horse might be true. LOL

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I think the HBO series conveys a VERY patriotic retelling of the event. It took HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of dedicated heroes during that time to limit the loss of life and disaster beyond what it was, TO THEIR OWN DETRIMENT! I would think the Russian population would applaud the efforts of HBO to tell the factual account. But then again, NOTHING in the USSR/Russia has ever been based on fact or truth.

I agree. I know they weren’t radiating Russian patriotism out their asses (mostly because they were Ukrainian, and lived bleak lives, not to mention all the shit the Ukrainians ate over the years from the Russians) but the people did what they had to do to “fix” things as best they could. Makes me proud to be of Ukrainian heritage. Fuck Russia though.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
For those who were followers of the accompanying Chernobyl podcast, a bonus episode was just released. Coincidentally it comes just days after another nuclear accident in Russia that initially kept pretty hush hush.

"Peter Sagal and Craig Mazin are back for a special bonus episode. They’re joined by actor Jared Harris (Valery Legasov) to discuss filming Chernobyl, Harris’s experience portraying Legasov and the global reaction to the miniseries."

https://castbox.fm/vb/177100480

Or search for it on whatever podcast platform you use.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just watched the Netflix replay of a Nova episode on building the megadome over the reactor. Very interesting to watch, what a mess. In another generation we will probably have to fix that too.

20,000 years of cleanup.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the series after some prodding from a friend of mine, born 6 years after the event. I myself was 24 and remember it well as far as what was presented in the western news.

The technical events presented of the incident are true, as per some side reading I did about the series. But other items are over dramatized; it's not reality, but makes for good television - as some other reading on the series mentioned.

The series was ok, overall. It certainly gives today's youth not familiar with the Soviet system, an insight in how the Soviet system functioned. At least based upon my friend's reactions to the series.

Of course not so recent events in Japan and a nuclear reactor incident there, and their 'handling of information' about it, certainly does not make the Soviet's handling of information on Chernobyl all that much worse.

I suspect if we had a serious incident like this here (3 mile island might fit here?), the government would try to suppress information to avoid population panic. It's not right, but it is what it is.

As far as the Ruskies making their version of Chernobyl? If they will be honest about it, perhaps it might be good, since they have all the 'real' information, including the personalities involved - something the makers of Chernobyl did not have in detail.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
For those who were followers of the accompanying Chernobyl podcast, a bonus episode was just released. Coincidentally it comes just days after another nuclear accident in Russia that initially kept pretty hush hush.

"Peter Sagal and Craig Mazin are back for a special bonus episode. They’re joined by actor Jared Harris (Valery Legasov) to discuss filming Chernobyl, Harris’s experience portraying Legasov and the global reaction to the miniseries."

https://castbox.fm/vb/177100480

Or search for it on whatever podcast platform you use.

I too listened to the podcast. Very well done

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post